to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:33 PM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
Actually, that is the MCU that they ground off. The transceiver has the white goop and the silver cylinder at the bottom right.
Guess that'll be a Chip on Board as well then
rcgchris is offline Find More Posts by rcgchris
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgchris View Post
Guess that'll be a Chip on Board as well then
did you check it? I would be very surprised if they did that. I think it would cost more than using an smt part in this case, unless they have very high volume.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Oct 2012
286 Posts
Hi, great job with this software. I'd like to try to fit it on Devo 7 - I have a slightly defective one, does not turn off until you physically plug off the battery. Do you have a hint how to flash it there - apparently they have some kind of bootloader over trainer port, but I don't have UP02, and anyway it's proprietary. And will I be able to restore stock firmware in case something went wrong?
victzh is offline Find More Posts by victzh
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victzh View Post
Hi, great job with this software. I'd like to try to fit it on Devo 7
It won't be possible until you rewrite the interface. you can use a CP2103 based UART bridge to connect to the trainer port and reprogram. It should be possible to put back the original firmware, though I haven't tried. If your read back a few pages, you'll see that I'm planning a conversion to replace the MCU and display in a Devo7. Just waiting for the development boards to arrive t get started.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
It won't be possible until you rewrite the interface. you can use a CP2103 based UART bridge to connect to the trainer port and reprogram. It should be possible to put back the original firmware, though I haven't tried. If your read back a few pages, you'll see that I'm planning a conversion to replace the MCU and display in a Devo7. Just waiting for the development boards to arrive t get started.
This hardware going to be used HERE and other hardware ? Guessing Devo RF upgrade module..
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
This hardware going to be used HERE and other hardware ? Guessing Devo RF upgrade module..
No, it turns out that while I have that board, it isn't suitable for this task. I don't yet know what the final harware will be, but it is likely to be based on this:
Quote:
though I have several different variations on the way so I can figure out which is the best solution
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:50 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
better specs smaller screen ;( still better for a replacement.
Me I'll put on top, got 2 very old Walkera TX's should get enough hardware to come up with something
Guess i'll have to wait see which way you jump.
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
better specs smaller screen ;
Yes, If I could source the Devo10 screen, I would. That would be an ideal solution (even if it is only b&w). But I can't find anyone who sells them as single units.

This is the screen:
http://www.tinsharp.com/detail/&prod...189735664.html
Instead, the 2.4" screen should fit in the opening of the Devo10/WK2x0x.
Note: I don't recommend that anyone tries to guess what hardware I'll choose. I have a few different screens and MCU boards on the way, and do not yet know which will be the best choice.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
286 Posts
I've seen this encouraging info and it's great! Somehow they made Devo 7 stock firmware exceptionally crappy. And I plan to follow your development and buy the board, but don't you think that some intermediate version can be created - reduced functionality Deviation for Devo 7? I have not seen your code, I plan to but did not have a chance yet, but if the GUI is reasonably separate from the controlling code it could be done.

Is CP2103 a requirement? Or any USB-to-serial would work (I had one case when it was a requirement, so I have one, I'm just curious). And do you know any details on their bootload process - pinout, is firmware extractable from the updater in a reasonable form (hex which you can flash trough JTAG/SWD) etc. When you look at a new device it seems pretty intimidating to you, but you apparently accumulated some knowledge about their devices and can help me to overcome this initial barrier. Thanks again for your great effort!
victzh is offline Find More Posts by victzh
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:33 PM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
676 Posts
Hi guys, just loaded ver. 2 firmware on my Devo 10, keep getting this warning when I turn on the radio, don't know how to get rid of it.

"Ch3 is 0%, safe value = -100%"

Thanks for any help.
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victzh View Post
I've seen this encouraging info and it's great! Somehow they made Devo 7 stock firmware exceptionally crappy. And I plan to follow your development and buy the board, but don't you think that some intermediate version can be created - reduced functionality Deviation for Devo 7? I have not seen your code, I plan to but did not have a chance yet, but if the GUI is reasonably separate from the controlling code it could be done.
The GUI is a lot of work. Ask suvsuv how much effort it took to get it working with the Devo10. The Devo7 would also be very hard. the Devo7 has a rally limited MCU that will make getting the code into the memory footprint extremely challenging. It just isn't worth the effort for me.
Quote:
Is CP2103 a requirement? Or any USB-to-serial would work (I had one case when it was a requirement, so I have one, I'm just curious).
you need a USB->UART which is not the same thing as a USB->USART.

Quote:
And do you know any details on their bootload process - pinout, is firmware extractable from the updater in a reasonable form (hex which you can flash trough JTAG/SWD) etc.
I haven't looked at the Devo7 too much, but I think you can use the ISP on the STM32 to upload/download the firmware, as I don't think they've locked the chip on the Devo7 (it is locked on other models, and you can't read the firmware out)
But you can definitely use SWD (not JTAG) to program the Devo7. Without the UP02, I think ISP can only be used by setting some jumpers on the board to enable it.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka1 View Post
Hi guys, just loaded ver. 2 firmware on my Devo 10, keep getting this warning when I turn on the radio, don't know how to get rid of it.

"Ch3 is 0%, safe value = -100%"

Thanks for any help.
likely you are using an old model file which had the safe value hard-coded.
in your model.ini, replace the [Saftey] section with this:
Code:
[safety]
Auto=min
you can use a text editor to do that.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:02 PM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
676 Posts
Quote:
likely you are using an old model file which had the safe value hard-coded.
in your model.ini, replace the [Saftey] section with this:
Code:
[safety]
Auto=min
you can use a text editor to do that.
That fixed it....thank you
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
676 Posts
Ok, had a look at the software, it's not for me. Downloaded the firmware and library for my Devo 10, Upgraded the firmware, Upgraded the library, now this is what I see when I try to access the menus. Any suggestions on how to get this back the way it was before flashing Deviation?

Glen

Name: dump.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 33.2 KB
Description:

Edit: Deviation up and running again. Need to get back to stock radio, or am I stuck with this software?
Last edited by Muskoka1; Nov 28, 2012 at 08:31 PM.