Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:08 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
WOW! Another new DEVO, but now an interesting one:
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=DEVO+F7
Nice one but only 7 channels and no USB port so not interesting for hacking.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:35 AM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
Nice one but only 7 channels and no USB port so not interesting for hacking.
On the Webpage I read: "Online update via USB ensures a transmitter in hand not to be out of date and makes it full ov vigour"
gektor is offline Find More Posts by gektor
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:15 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gektor View Post
On the Webpage I read: "Online update via USB ensures a transmitter in hand not to be out of date and makes it full ov vigour"
No USB port visible in any picture, probably update with UP02 like Devo7.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined May 2011
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
No USB port visible in any picture, probably update with UP02 like Devo7.
It is there, just like on the DEVO 8.
Look at the side pictures...
FDR_ is online now Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:27 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
It is there, just like on the DEVO 8.
Look at the side pictures...
Yeah, right side, I'm blind.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:31 AM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
169 Posts
Devo F7 seems to have has exactly the same back as the Devo 8. This is good, because it has better grip than the back of the Devo 7.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:32 AM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,000 Posts
I have the new Devo F7 TX FinallyWalkera posted some specs because I was wondering about it...
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:30 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
I have the new Devo F7 TX FinallyWalkera posted some specs because I was wondering about it...
Any word on the pricing?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:23 AM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
I'd consider the radio as product announcement yet.
rcgchris is offline Find More Posts by rcgchris
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:49 AM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
169 Posts
Thank you for the nice video of the new Transmitter, Tony:
Sneak Preview of the New FPV Hoten X from Walkera! (9 min 2 sec)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:47 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Well thats a down side on the range. And I will not buy it as it seems like just conbine the 5.8G receiver into a devo7 with lcd...and does it even have any curve setting?
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,150 Posts
I spoke with a local vendor earlier about the Deviation firmware. He had discussed this with Walkera before and what he said was very similar to what Gektor said earlier. He said that Walkera predicted that a third party firmware would become available ever since they decided to use an open system. They do not mind this in the slightest and have no intention of closing it in their future releases. Moreover, they would not mind if their Devo protocol is hacked into a third party transmitter either.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I spoke with a local vendor earlier about the Deviation firmware. He had discussed this with Walkera before and what he said was very similar to what Gektor said earlier. He said that Walkera predicted that a third party firmware would become available ever since they decided to use an open system. They do not mind this in the slightest and have no intention of closing it in their future releases. Moreover, they would not mind if their Devo protocol is hacked into a third party transmitter either.
No offense, but the system is hardly open. The firmware is encrypted, and the protocol is encrypted, and the radio module was specifically designed to make it hard to reuse elsewhere. rch4x0r and I got lucky in breaking into the Devo hardware. Walkera did not use particularly sturdy encryption, but it was absolutely designed with the single purpose of keeping people from doing exactly what we did.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:22 AM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
169 Posts
Insurances

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
This is very good! Walkera is a very nice company which treat their users very well, and they prove it again and again! No problem with them

I think that they initially wanted to protect their inventions, but they failed at that. Now, at least, they show greatness and implicitly accept the great work of the Deviation Team. Lastly, because it generates more purchases for the Devo hardware. Although they will probably never support Deviation, they at least probably will not make any trouble.

But we can have problems from the other side: Insurances. In Germany, you need to have a special insurance in order to fly _any_ RC, even the smallest one.

Let's assume, you have a 700 class Helicopter. In case of a serious damage (e.g. in case of a serious damage to a person, which can happen with a large heli), the Police will possibly keep your equipment as an evidence. If your use of Deviation will come out and the insurance will discover that you've modified your transmitter, this could be an argument for them to take the money back from you. And if you have a case of a personal injury, this may be quite a lot of money. You know, what I mean?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gektor View Post
This is very good! Walkera is a very nice company which treat their users very well, and they prove it again and again! No problem with them

I think that they initially wanted to protect their inventions, but they failed at that. Now, at least, they show greatness and implicitly accept the great work of the Deviation Team. Lastly, because it generates more purchases for the Devo hardware. Although they will probably never support Deviation, they at least probably will not make any trouble.

But we can have problems from the other side: Insurances. In Germany, you need to have a special insurance in order to fly _any_ RC, even the smallest one.

Let's assume, you have a 700 class Helicopter. In case of a serious damage (e.g. in case of a serious damage to a person, which can happen with a large heli), the Police will possibly keep your equipment as an evidence. If your use of Deviation will come out and the insurance will discover that you've modified your transmitter, this could be an argument for them to take the money back from you. And if you have a case of a personal injury, this may be quite a lot of money. You know, what I mean?
Insurance is not a problem over here. For a start, almost everywhere you fly is illegal anyway, so even if you get it, it is doubtful they will honor it. I used to pay $64 for a $100,000 insurance cover to cover flying at 4 illegal sites. But I decided not to renew because I don't think they would honor it anyway. Last year, a court awared US$1.1M to a modeller who was paralyzed for life by a 0.60 heli. The perpetrator promptly absconded and is now probably living in China.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw