Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by War is Peace, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:33 AM
1984 is no longer fiction
United States
Joined Mar 2012
393 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
Wanted
TRADE: Your glider for a NEW custom hand-made Acoustic Guitar

About 20 years ago I flew gliders. (LSF IV, many, many thermal and slope contests) I want to get back into he sport but the cost is crazy! In the meantime I became a Luthier, making and selling 6-string Acoustic Guitars. They sell in stores for $1699 to $1999. I would be willing to trade the NEW guitar of your choice for an R/C sailplane.

They have solid wood bodies, solid spruce tops, hand carved scalloped bracing, tap-tuned tops, wood bindings, bone nut and saddle, abalone inlay with nitro-lacquer gloss finish. They easily rival high-end Martins and Taylors. Professional musicians have used my guitars for recording sessions.
A hard body (5-ply wood core) case is included. I have included some photos.

Do you have a good sailplane that doesn't get much airtime anymore?

Currently available Auditorium style bodies: Figured Makore, Indian Rosewood, Pacific Myrtle, Mango.

Currently available OOO stye bodies: Koa

I live in central Florida and can meet you somewhere, or we could use a 3rd party escrow shipper. No rush as I am currently building a RES to goof around with.
War is Peace is offline Find More Posts by War is Peace
Last edited by War is Peace; Jun 11, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:54 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Trader Rating: 42
Wow. Beautiful work! But.... All work and no play makes for a dull life. Welcome back to the hobby!
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:55 AM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
2,928 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Scott my compliments on your excellent craftsmanship! Beautiful guitars and no doubt they sound terrific.

What kind of sailplane are you looking for?

John
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2012
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherhunter View Post
Scott my compliments on your excellent craftsmanship! Beautiful guitars and no doubt they sound terrific.

What kind of sailplane are you looking for?

John
A full function glass thermal ship.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:51 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,178 Posts
Trader Rating: 22
I thought they had 12 strings
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:16 AM
USA, MI, Lansing
Joined Oct 2008
160 Posts
how much for a guitar?
bobo46 is offline Find More Posts by bobo46
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:22 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Trader Rating: 30
Any classic/flamenco guitar?
Let me know ...
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2012
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoyenny View Post
Any classic/flamenco guitar?
Let me know ...
No nylon stringed guitars. I build steel string only. (Acoustic and Acoustic Electric)

Body styles are 000, Auditorium and Dreadnought. I can build to your specifications, utilizing any woods you desire. My next builds are 2 dreadnoughts. Mahogany with Adirondack spruce top and East Indian Rosewood with Sitka spruce top. Both will have abalone rosettes and high gloss finishes.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:52 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,161 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Dude.. you've got MAD skills!.. If I may say... do you know what kind of glider you could build? If you're doing that kind of very skilled craft.. I'm wondering what kind of structures and such you could create pertaining to a model glider..The wings would be such that you would have cover them in clear, to show off that craftsmanship..

I'm kind of thinking master guitar making and model aircraft building kind of run parallell.. I can say not everyone can build.. and those that can build model planes might not be able to masterly build a guitar.. but is seems more likely someone with your skills could easily build an airframe.. I admire those skills.. I wish you well..
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:42 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,104 Posts
Trader Rating: 119
Scott,

I do not even play guitar and I am very tempted to offer to trade you an Icon 2.2 I am getting ready to sale just because these guitars look to be a true work of art. I wonder how much it would cost for an old fart that can barely play the radio to learn to play guitar? Any chance I could get one pre-programmed to play like Jack Johnson?

See Ya,

Pat McCleave
Wichita KS
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2012
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Dude.. you've got MAD skills!.. If I may say... do you know what kind of glider you could build? If you're doing that kind of very skilled craft.. I'm wondering what kind of structures and such you could create pertaining to a model glider..The wings would be such that you would have cover them in clear, to show off that craftsmanship..

I'm kind of thinking master guitar making and model aircraft building kind of run parallell.. I can say not everyone can build.. and those that can build model planes might not be able to masterly build a guitar.. but is seems more likely someone with your skills could easily build an airframe.. I admire those skills.. I wish you well..
Thank you for the compliment. Years ago I built many gliders and produced a HLG kit called the Paraphrase. Making guitars is not much harder than gliders. The difficult part was the required construction of a half dozen special tools and jigs necessary to complete a guitar. (side bender, fingerboard radius jig, neck tenon jig, etc)

For me the most difficult aspect has been the finish. I can frame up a guitar in a week and have it ready to apply finish in 2 weeks. Applying the finish from start to finish takes an additional 3 weeks.

If anyone is interested in building a guitar, go to - www.lmii.com (Luthiers Mercantile)
They sell kits. You can get just the raw wood, or they can do some of the specialized tasks for you. (bending the sides, slotting the fingerboard for frets, etc) If you are an experienced modeler, you should be able to build a guitar.

They also sell a DVD "Build a steel string guitar" by Robert O'Brein. He takes you STEP BY STEP from opening the box, to building the body, to making the neck, to final assembly, to finishing and final setup. This DVD is worth its weight in gold. You can also rent the DVD at Smartflix.com

I still have the first guitar I ever made. People can't believe how nice it is and they always ask the same question:
"How did you ever learn to build a guitar?"
my answer is always the same
"It's easy, I spent 20 years making models."

Scott
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:38 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,229 Posts
Trader Rating: 122
Scott,

I sent you a PM.

Very nice work!

Jim
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccleave View Post
Scott,

I do not even play guitar and I am very tempted to offer to trade you an Icon 2.2 I am getting ready to sale just because these guitars look to be a true work of art. I wonder how much it would cost for an old fart that can barely play the radio to learn to play guitar? Any chance I could get one pre-programmed to play like Jack Johnson?

See Ya,

Pat McCleave
Wichita KS
GO FOR IT PAT!
I had no musical skills and took up the guitar at 45 years old after my daughter showed little interest in her Christmas present (a Taylor acoustic). It only took me strumming my first chord, a "G", to get me hooked. Took lessons and now I'm good enough to play around the campfire. Still learning and loving it. 2 year old Millie (foster child) is my biggest fan and we have some terrific jams!

Beautiful work Scott! Perhaps some day I'll try luthiering(?). For now I get a kick thinking I use an "old guitar makers trick" of pre-bending wood parts so as not to add stresses to the structure of my planes.

-David-
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,161 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Thanks for the reply Scott.. I've actually contemplated building a guitar over the years.. as I have ran across a few kits.. its somewhat of a large undertaking if its to be taken seriously though..as I'm preaching to the choir telling you this... I'm sure you've dedicated many hours of thought and study, not to mention the "hands on" it takes.. and I do appreciate your sharing that info.. as again I will contemplate this... I've been very close to starting with something like a Ukelele.. those can be very fun little instruments too.. and I do love all musical instruments.. I already own several guitars and a bass...

So Pat... We're never too old to start.. its all about feellin good... most "feel good" songs are all about 3 chords.. if you even just like to keep a beat tapping on a table.. a guitar is just an extension of that.. only when/as you tap(or strum/pluck/whatever).. it makes some great sounds and vibes.. and yes..

David.. I love playing at campfires.. as the spirits flow.. people sing.. its very inspiring, and actually helps me(/us/we/whomever I'm playing with) to get creative, and the inhibitions just melt away..whats left is all the feel good stuff.. you probably know what I'm sayin'..

Have a good one guys.. I wish you well on your search Scott.. its a very cool thing.. and does open up alot for folks.. and I love the work man.. take care.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:22 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,598 Posts
Trader Rating: 54
Beautiful guitar and wood work. I have several now and love the look of yours but quite frankly, I never buy one unless I can play it first and check it for tone, sustain, etc.etc.
Regardless, the ones you're showing appears to be a work of art and I'll bet that it plays and sounds as good as it looks.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke