HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:57 AM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
Build Log
Canadian Harvard

Starting to convert my HK Texan into a Canadian marked Harvard. I have two sets of retracts so far and the decals from Callie Graphics. Good show goes out to Callie Graphics as the decals are spot on and I had them in one week shipped from New Mexico to northern Alberta!
lebl468 is offline Find More Posts by lebl468
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,772 Posts
Subscribed. looking forward to this! Did your Texan come with the decals applied? I ask, as mine did not. I only applied the Air Force decals, and found out they really suck, so I may get ahold of Callie. Now I have to figure out how to remove them without taking off foam!------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:01 AM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
Mine came applied, when I took them off, I just picked a corner up with a knife and pulled them off with a little heat from a hair dryer, no foam pulled up just the paint.

Chris
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:48 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,772 Posts
Good, I will know what to expect when the time comes. I will probably wait until the plane starts looking really ratty before I do a re-do on the paint. Depending on how my flying goes, it may be soon, may be a while! LOL!! I did buy an airbrush today, though. I plan in experimenting with it soon.----Metalguy
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,772 Posts
Any progress? -----Metalguy
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:47 AM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
I have everything installed, just rigging, should be done today, I have some picks from along the way, I'll put them up.

Chris
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:08 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
Here we go.....
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:13 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
Ended up going with the bigger black set of retracts, the little blue ones seemed a little finicky. Once I had the gear all lined up, I used a set of aileron push rods from a crashed Texan I used to own, had to bore out the linkage holes on servo and retract sides to get rid of the last little bit of buzzing from the servo in the down and locked position. Going to fly it before paint and decals, if it flies like a bag of hammers, I can always go back to wire gear or belly landing.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:42 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
Everything runs smooth, should be good to go, cycled them about 20 times and down and locked every time. One hangs lower retracted, but I think I will live with it, hard to see that when it's flying! Checked the CoG again, seems, pretty close to where it was, mind you I do not have my replacement cowl on yet, planning on making that up today.

Chris
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:54 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
Installed and ready for flight.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:14 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,772 Posts
Cool! I was flying mine yesterday, and it just entered a spin, and wouldn't come out of it! I have never had this happen with it before, and even though it was about 100' up. damage was not bad at all. I cut throttle before it hit, and it just broke the prop, and ripped the foam out that holds the rear of the wing on. Oh, and I had to dig the dirt out of the motor. I even was able to save the "Famous Dave's" baked bean container cowling. I checked controls afterwards, and no odd things came up. I just wonder if I throttled back to far, stalled it, and got the flat spin... Not sure what happened, but I am sure it has pilot error all over it. I am looking forward to your progress!-----Metalguy
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:09 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
Cool! I was flying mine yesterday, and it just entered a spin, and wouldn't come out of it! I have never had this happen with it before, and even though it was about 100' up. damage was not bad at all. I cut throttle before it hit, and it just broke the prop, and ripped the foam out that holds the rear of the wing on. Oh, and I had to dig the dirt out of the motor. I even was able to save the "Famous Dave's" baked bean container cowling. I checked controls afterwards, and no odd things came up. I just wonder if I throttled back to far, stalled it, and got the flat spin... Not sure what happened, but I am sure it has pilot error all over it. I am looking forward to your progress!-----Metalguy
I would say this is in line with the standard out come of flying this plane...she always comes out on top! I have not flown mine since the retracts have been installed, we had a major snow storm dump on us, an it is looking pretty poopy for the next week, BUT! my MAAC insurance is paid up, and I am ready to roll at the first sign of good weather!
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:38 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
I was planning the same thing with that model but didnt get to it. The cowl is very weak i ended up using a fresh mozzarella container and it looked good. it looks awesome! cant wait to see the finished product.
Santoneski is offline Find More Posts by Santoneski
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:47 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoneski View Post
I was planning the same thing with that model but didnt get to it. The cowl is very weak i ended up using a fresh mozzarella container and it looked good. it looks awesome! cant wait to see the finished product.
I have a sour cream container in the fridge, expiry date is 4 days from now...new cowl on the way!
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:34 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,772 Posts
Well, I destroyed the baked bean cowl this time. It is really odd, no other damage to it, other than a broken prop! I have some retracts on their way, but they may be too large for this model. It doesn't really matter, as I will use them on another plane if they are too large. As for the cowl, I have one from the coleslaw yet to use.... I am thinking when I do the retracts, I will put a paintjob on it!!!------Metalguy