Closed Thread
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:22 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpeter View Post
Well it looks like I'm done for this year waiting for Castle.

I just got my HV120 ice2 from "A Main Hobbies"..I was lucky they were in stock!I just cant justify grounding my 78" Extra over $230.00. I'm just writing off the one I sent in for replacement.. If I get it back? Its a bonus..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
I just got my HV120 ice2 from "A Main Hobbies"..I was lucky they were in stock!I just cant justify grounding my 78" Extra over $230.00. I'm just writing off the one I sent in for replacement.. If I get it back? Its a bonus..
You're writing off a $230 ESC? If you want you can send it to me if it shows up, I'll even pay shipping!!
oscarel is offline Find More Posts by oscarel
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:42 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Don't get me wrong...I'm not happy.. Its just not worth stressing over.. I'm sure Ill eventually get it back. When I do, Ill just sell it, and put the money back in the RC fund..
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
F5D user
Israel
Joined Jun 2005
132 Posts
bad company !!!!! with horrible service - stay away!!!
marknopfler is offline Find More Posts by marknopfler
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:16 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknopfler View Post
bad company !!!!! with horrible service - stay away!!!
I agree, but what do you do when you have a 10s 3300Watt 90amp plane?

There the only game in town.. I did see scorpion makes a HV100 but I didnt find any avalible? The Hacker jeti 99's seem to be discontinued also? It looks like these HV ESC's are to much trouble, and companys are steering away from them..
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
F5D user
Israel
Joined Jun 2005
132 Posts
for my 10s 3300Watt 90amp plane i am using a Hacker MASTER 195-O-F5B ESC.
marknopfler is offline Find More Posts by marknopfler
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:55 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknopfler View Post
for my 10s 3300Watt 90amp plane i am using a Hacker MASTER 195-O-F5B ESC.
Nice... What did that run you?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,778 Posts
Quote:
It looks like these HV ESC's are to much trouble, and companys are steering away from them.
I think there is some truth in that. Align tried unsuccessfully for 3 or 4 years to make a reliable HV ESC. They ended up buying them for CC.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Feb 2010
101 Posts
Quote:
If it takes three months to receive a new or repaired ESC, most people will miss 1/2 of there flying season. I'm sorry but this is not exceptable..
If I were to assume that the North American flying season tends to be their summer, and soon to start, why did you wait until near the end of winter to send the ESC away ? Why not send it away at the start of winter to get it back in plenty of time for flying season ? The recall started a good 6 months ago

Yes, mine took about 6-8 weeks here in Australia, but, hey, at least they gave me two brand new CC Ice 2 80HVs at minimal cost (one way shipping only) to me. Several other companies have stood by their products like that - if you want to upgrade the firmware on a Kontronics ESC, I think you have to post it back to Germany at your own cost.

Colin
Andy01 is offline Find More Posts by Andy01
Last edited by Andy01; Mar 17, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:20 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Good questions, Not that it should make a difference?? Just because I wore a skirt, it dos'nt mean I was asking for it.. Talk about blaming the victims? Do they have republicans in Australia?

We have had a very mild winter with 50deg(f) temps, right threw untill late January.. I flew every weekend untill six weeks ago. When the wind, and cold rolled in. Then I sent it, the websight also had ESC's in stock, and stated that they have a two, to four week turn around.. Now! It's been six weeks, and there talking three months..

In short... I did send it during newenglands winter, and six weeks would have been great, but there talking 3 months min. Turnaround!! When I ordered my replacement ESC I was given a invioce that stated a replacement was in stock..

BTW.. Any time I send anything to HITEC repair, I receive it back within 2-3 weeks! That's the way it should be..

This is what you get with Castle!
http://www.castlecreations.com/
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Mar 17, 2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,162 Posts
Tim - I wish I knew.. my HV80 came back from Castle a couple months ago, I could have lent it to you until yours came back. Oh, well.

Mine was in a 71 Slick. When i sent it in for a recall, I replaced it with a Phoenix HV85. It works fine, so I'm not going to touch it.. so now I have a brand-new HV80 looking for a plane. That can't end well.

Castle is what it is. It's not Hitec, but they do make good ESCs, and they by and large stand behind their product. My understanding is that what happened was fairly unusual - they never had to deal with a recall of that size.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg View Post
Tim - I wish I knew.. my HV80 came back from Castle a couple months ago, I could have lent it to you until yours came back. Oh, well.

Mine was in a 71 Slick. When i sent it in for a recall, I replaced it with a Phoenix HV85. It works fine, so I'm not going to touch it.. so now I have a brand-new HV80 looking for a plane. That can't end well.

Castle is what it is. It's not Hitec, but they do make good ESCs, and they by and large stand behind their product. My understanding is that what happened was fairly unusual - they never had to deal with a recall of that size.

Thank you Nick! Thats very kind of you..

The good news is my new HV120 ICE2 works perfect, and is very smooth! I'm not happy with the past issues but I will give them credit when credit is due. The new ESC runs cool and has the smoothest start up I've ever seen..

Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:56 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Btw..

Still waiting for my HV80 ice2.... I can't wait to get it, SO I CAN SELL IT!

That piece of recalled metal, will be paying for my CF wheelpants, and LG upgrade for my 78" Extra from Graphtec ... while I'm ordering from G.T. I'll also be upgrading the Wingtube in my 60" Denight special to CF..
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:38 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,589 Posts
I think CC has issues in manufacturing and QC. I opened my brand new ICE2HV (which came with my Rex 700) without using it because of the reported problems and found that there was not enough thermal insulating compound on the two copper bars.

On the second picture you see all the compound in the ESC (especially on the bar from the - pole). I did not remoye anything. So the last cm of the copper bar is not insulated. Some vibration and you are on the best way to a short circuit.
I know that there are glass pearls in the compound to maintain a distance, but no compound means no distance.

I reworked it with thin thermally conductive pads (with glass fiber cloth), which are 0.2mm thin. No problems. Now there is a defined insulation. I actually like the ICE2. Works well. After the rework. Without magic smoke.

I think the design with the heatsink touching + and - is not so good. Especially if there are problems in the mgf process. I understand that the FETs transfer lots of heat via the PCB. Anyway, the design is risky. Maybe CC should review the manufacturing process...
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:07 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Nice catch! this from a ICE2 version? Great.. I guess Ill bust open my 120 and take a look.. a bit of fiddling can remedy that issue..
Closed Thread