Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:54 AM
Dawg, Junkyard, 1 ea.
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Feb 2012
262 Posts
Discussion
Quick Noob question about ESCs

I'm putting together one of the BlueSkyRC MicroQuads, and am just getting to the point of connecting ESCs, motors, etc... To save weight and wire length on this tiny little guy, I want to solder the motor wires directly to the ESC and avoid the added weight of connectors. Without having connectors to switch around to change motor directions, I have a slight dilemma.

Since the working length of the wires is pretty short, there won't be a lot of room for error to get things neat, and I'd like to get things right the first time... so I'm wondering about something:

Can you check the motor direction and correct it by hooking up the three motor wires to the three ESC wires, then connecting the ESC directly to a battery for just a split second, without the ESC being connected to a FC? Will that work, and will that give you notice on which wires need to go where on the ESC? Or will it fry everything by not being hooked up to the FC when you apply battery, or just not spin them at all?

If that will spin the motors, once I connect the ESCs to the FC after I've checked the motor direction, could that subsequent connection and interaction of the FC affect the motor direction in any way, resulting in wasted effort?

I've read an awful lot about ESCs and motors and getting the direction correct, but I've haven't run across anyone doing in quite this way... Sorry in advance if it's been discussed somewhere, but I can't find it.

Thanks! // Jack
Terrier is offline Find More Posts by Terrier
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:40 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,302 Posts
yes but esc will need to go in the throttle channel on your RX to see a signal.
i also solder my quad motor/esc wires and use something like this for temporary connection of the wires
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...ource=shopping

subsequent connection to the FC shouldnt change rotor direction.
brodjack is online now Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:48 AM
USA, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Nov 2010
89 Posts
No that will not spin the motors. It will not hurt anything but you really need to have it hooked up to a Rx or FC.

I will say this, I have connectors on ALL my esc's, its just easier that way.

Its obvious you don't have a ton of experience with these setups so my advice would be make it easier on yourself and use connectors everywhere you can. That way you can replace burnt components or upgrade later on without too much trouble. The benefits of directly soldering esc wires aren't that great anyway. And they really don't add enough weight to worry about.
swoop_g is offline Find More Posts by swoop_g
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:05 AM
Dawg, Junkyard, 1 ea.
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Feb 2012
262 Posts
Thanks!
Terrier is offline Find More Posts by Terrier
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, AZ, Seligman
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
I did pretty much what you're asking about. I connected my ESCs to my receiver throttle channel and connected it to motor to see direction of motor to get wiring correct. Now connecting it to FC won't change direction. Direction is controlled by ESC not FC.
Dave8888 is offline Find More Posts by Dave8888
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:07 PM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
or.....

face esc's fets side up

look at your quad as a +

wire top and bottom motors as crossed

and left and right motors as uncrossed

wire and motor rotation is now correct for most flight controllers