HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:39 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
Rant
Who is still scratch building? Let's see what you have. (please)

With all these PNP, BNF, and cheap HK planes, it's a blessing to see a build log. this is why I don't like it companies make what people want. Ingenuity, creativity, and uniqueness go down the drain. I honestly got tired of coming to this forum partly because of all the RTF threads.

Just me ranting,
Kev...
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by boredom.is.me; Mar 17, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:14 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,315 Posts
I decided recently I'm not buying any more prebuilt planes. Just scratch build, or maybe a kit. The kits are getting rare, so probably just scratch for me.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:49 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,532 Posts
Don't worry BIM. People who enjoy pushing the envelope will continue to scratchbuild. This forum still has a lot of room to grow.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Most of the airplanes you can buy, though lots these days are all pretty mediocre, there will always be a few guys building cool stuff regardless of whats for sale.
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:52 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
I've noticed a difference in the way people treat each other since the RTFs showed up. Changes the whole feel of this site for me.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:00 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,285 Posts
Don't worry, I have yet to get into my STASH of parts. And the planes I'd like to see may never wind up as BNF, ARF, etc. So what choice do I have??? 'Tis a good thing I like to build.. In fact, I do have the 35mm and 30mm F-86s. Don't have the urge to fly them. Just my .02.

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:13 AM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
I have been scratch buliding, but indoor micro stuff.
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:57 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,387 Posts
Everything is cool until it becomes mainstream and the market is filled with off the shelf product. There are still those who build to build, it's just that their numbers drop significantly so the forums look like they disappeared.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
You response's are way different from the indoor response.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=partial+rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcross View Post
I've noticed a difference in the way people treat each other since the RTFs showed up. Changes the whole feel of this site for me.
This is actually something I've noticed too, which is why I don't really spend much time in the indoor forum. Scratch building is slowly come back though.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,269 Posts
Ill answer the question

There is a tread "Scratchbuilt EDF's in this EDF forum. Those would be the scratchbuilders.

Was this a trick question?
Air Head is offline Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:09 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head View Post
There is a tread "Scratchbuilt EDF's in this EDF forum. Those would be the scratchbuilders.

Was this a trick question?
Are you being serious? This is the micro EDF forum. Before all they BNFs, RTFs, and PNPs, we built all of our planes. Why don't you read the posts made after. Why don't you read my original post over. Then ask if this is a trick question. If this was a trick question, I would have filled the sticky with false information so that I can trick people since that's what I'm doing.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,269 Posts
"Just me ranting",

OK I think I understand now -

Type in "Scratch Build" in this "Micro EDF" thread and they will all pop up.

Rant away!
Air Head is offline Find More Posts by Air Head
Last edited by Air Head; Mar 10, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:56 PM
micro scale builder
United States, DC, Washington
Joined May 2008
322 Posts
i'm scratch building, though right now i've moved towards building indoor prop models as I wait for EDF motor technology to mature.
tmtbiker is online now Find More Posts by tmtbiker
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:26 PM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Nothing but scratch here .

My only non-scratch builds were my first plane (The easyglider) and the combat dummies a clubmate of mine makes with a computerized foam cutter.

I always like the challenges that come with designing and scratchbuilding your own planes... Right now, I'm already thinking about a next model for once my current jet is done, so I will probably keep on building them all by myself.
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:37 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
946 Posts
After the micro rtf's from HH came out and the aero aces craze wore off everyone began to build with the parts! This is just the beginning of the parts bonanza! We now have a better choice of parts to build from. The big companies will get their sales and we will get our parts! Just think about all the new fans we will have to choose from, Naw this is good. How many are thinking about using the F86 for different planes already? You know you wanna do it! The big companies will never develope the models we can due to licensing fees, royalties etc, etc, etc, We don't (knock on wood) have to pay for the models we make, cause we aint selling them. I'm scratchbuilding, and will continue to do so.. But I'll fly one of their planes in between. They all in up in parts anyway.
MUTCAKE is online now Find More Posts by MUTCAKE