HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
remote control

Hi all, I'm new to whole rov, submarine environment. I asked a question at the submarines forum but it may be more suitable for here. So here is the link for that thread. Thanks in advance.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610671
aranea is offline Find More Posts by aranea
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:48 PM
obsessed noobie
United States, HI, Kailua-Kona
Joined Jul 2011
34 Posts
i have not been here on this site very long, but I can speak to a little of what you are asking. Saltwater will not allow you to pass anything wirelessly, so you will need a tether.

how deep you want to go will largely depend on how deep your pockets are, and how it will look will depend more on how much time you want to spend on it.

I know of a couple of ways that you can put together some bilge pumps (like from West Marine) and use Double pole double throw switches on a PVC frame to give yourself a platform to stream your video for relatively cheap. You can use a car battery for a power supply. and then you get to play with your camera pretty quickly, and i have heard of people going to 30 feet or so using this. (others may not agree... ) but this is how we have gotten many students involved with ROVs, and they actually look a lot like the real thing.

This configuration won't give you proportional control, but it will allow you to maneuver on as many axis as you installed bilge pumps.

Hope this helps in some fashion or other.
best regards
p.c.
prof. chaos is online now Find More Posts by prof. chaos
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Thank you Prof Chaos! Actually I'm OK to spend some and buy a ready made system like SRV-1 from Mike's Subworks and Neptune SB-1. Also I don't have much experience in building models or much of anything. Is there a commercially available tethered remote control system that you can suggest that will work with a system that I can buy?
aranea is offline Find More Posts by aranea