Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:38 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
Discussion
heli guy wants a plane but want to skip the slow trainer plans

ive got the plane bug. i fly a t rex 600 n
i fly with dx8

im not conserned with build but i dont want to have to put wing coating on. id like to run 46 or possibly 61 motor.

so am i nuts for wanting to skip the trainer plane? i dont realy want to have 3d plane but id look to fly loops and inverted , also want something decent sized.

so what do you guys think. ive flown helis for a few years but not a single plane i have a real flight sim and can fly planes pretty well on there

thanks for any advice
Evan03 is offline Find More Posts by Evan03
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
The Avistar trainer with a .46 has a very large performance envelope ranging from mild to wild depending on how its trimmed/tuned/prop'd.

Its capable of taking you from 1st flight through doing all the aerobatics in the "Basic" IMAC class.

If you know someone with a Sig Kadet LT40 or Kadet Sr willing to buddy box you for a few flights you'd be ready for the Avistar pretty quick.

With the heli experience you already know about not overcontrolling, which is a big plus. Some guys spend years lurching around the sky before they figure out not to overcontrol.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:21 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
A trainer would definetly be a good idea. You could go with a J-3 Cub or some other kind of advanced high wing plane, but if you crash it(It happens to all of us) it will be a bear to fix in comparison to a trainer. I would go with a Hobbistar 60 or an Alpha 40 in a year you can take all the gear out and get a different plane. Remember, you can always do basic tricks with a trainer. Another option would be a H9 Mustang. You can fly it with all the trainer options at first and take all that off and make some mods and have a great sport flier for a long time.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:56 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
Thanks for the replies, ill check out the models you guys sugested.

I know all about crashing. There's was a while were I was buying a new 450 heli kit every few weeks.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:37 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,335 Posts
The "feel" of flying a fixed wing aircraft is totally, diametrically opposed to the of flying a chopper. With fixed wing, you have to anticipate where you are going to go. No last minute aborts possible.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:55 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,249 Posts
I second the Avistar. It's my engine testbed and even though it's called a trainer, it's fun to fly. I take the dihedral out of mine.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
very true, with the 600 i can pretty much stop or go any direction that i want. but when flying fast im thinking about 100ft in front of the bird

i checked out that hanger 9 mustang and that looks sweet.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
The mustang will have removable droops on the wings so it will stall at a slower speed. There are options for retracts and flaps and other good stuff like that. Like I said before, it is a good trainer, but take all the trainer options off and cut loose.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
I saw that airbrakes and. Adjustable flaps that can be servo mounted. Fixed retracks..

I'm now wondering if this is sold as a kit with no electronics radio or motor.

I've got some 610s ,ar8000, rx power supply. Pretty much just need motor and plane.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:31 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,835 Posts
The H9 P51 is a decent choice for this purpose. Going from heli to plane is easier than plane to heli. I say have an experienced pilot help you out for the first few flights and you should be good to go. The progressive part removals on the mustang can help you gradually advance to a sport plane without buying two planes. The biggest difference with a plane is that you don't need to pitch it down to get it to go forward, it will just go forward by default... aside from that it's nearly identical to forward flight with a heli (you don't need much rudder to keep turns coordinated either).
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:52 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
They have an ARF version.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:59 PM
Germany, NRW, Heiligenhaus
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
The Avistar is a good choice for a trainer. Try to do some flights with so you know. It has very stable flight characteristics and its very fun to fly. You can put a 40 to 46 engine in it and do aerobatics.
johngr is offline Find More Posts by johngr
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:48 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
Friends don't let friends buy the pts mustang. You buy one now and when you take the junk off it then you just have an ugly, slow, heavy, unaerobatic mustang with a dog engine. Then you have to turn around and rebut it all if you want a real mustang lol

Skip the trainer & buy a first low wing aerobatic plane. I wouldn't start with a 3d or funfly's regardless of your heli experience. Planes are a game of energy management at all times just to fly & the only brake is when you hit something.

Full wing 4* or a super sportster. Good place to start.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:11 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,741 Posts
I'd recommend the Hobbistar 60. It's a great flying plane with a semi-symmetrical airfoil, so it'll do a lot of things a regular trainer cannot. The size also opens it up to lots of other possibilities, mine has a big trap door in the bottom to drop all sorts of things...
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:28 PM
YAY the tourists are GONE
United States, MA, Sandwich
Joined Feb 2010
188 Posts
I built my 4*40 full wing and later clipped it, great idea on the 4* I have now done a bunch on mods like installing a huge rudder, the point is the 4* will be easy for you to start and with say a 46ax and a few mods it will last after you have learned the basics
Kit_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Kit_Builder