HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RickSide, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:16 PM
Never Under estimate the power
United States, MA, North Attleboro
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Whoops!
Sundowner 50 down!

A friend of mine recently maidened his Sundowner 50. The thing is just flat amazing both on the ground and in the air. It flies as good as it looks and it looks amazing!

We fly out of a local high school and sometimes the field itself is our worst enemy. Evidence in this video.

Sundowner 50 Maiden Flight (0 min 59 sec)
RickSide is offline Find More Posts by RickSide
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:47 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,476 Posts
I love the comments right after take-off! I still get that pucker every time I fly mine

What setup are you running in yours? Some of us guys flying the SD50 are pretty active in this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817449

Come on in and share your vid and say hello

Did you do any reinforcement to the LG while you were assembling the model? I painted the inside of my fuse all around the landing gear with Epoxy to give it a little more strength. Should be a quick repair to get back up and going.

Mine also likes to land real hot, I am very careful not to slow it down too much in the air as I have totaled one of these before through what was described to me as an accelerated stall

Will you be down at SEFF this year? I would enjoy turning some laps with you. Here are some pics of mine:

BB.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:16 PM
Never Under estimate the power
United States, MA, North Attleboro
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
The Sundowner belongs to a friend of mine. He is in the process of rebuiling after the accident with the landing. He said is going to reinforce the section of the fuselage where the gear mounts. I believe the plan is to use several layers of ply to create a laminate.

I'm not sure what he runs, though I do know it's a Saito. I'l ask him what he's running when I see him.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting one myself, but I'm an electric guy. So if I did, It'd be an electric Sundowner.
RickSide is offline Find More Posts by RickSide
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:45 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,476 Posts
I am running Power 60, CC80, on 6s with a 10x10 its a good setup for 90+mph
...it starts to cost some big money to move this airframe much past 120-130mph, but people are doing it with 4035 Scorpion on 10s.

I just HAD to go electric on it; that cowl is just too good looking to cut up
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks