SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
Discussion
Orange County CA - Electric TD / ALES Fields

Like many I find myself time and distance/fuel price limited.

Are there any places in Orange County (okay now I am getting picky...southern OC) where its okay to fly thermal motorgliders without being illegal and or harrassed? For general flying as well as TD/ALES events?

Doesn't have to be huge (i.e. no winches or histarts to bother with).

If not, and others are interested in this type of thing; I have zero experience in such matters but I am up for banding together to find a site, approaching powers that be, forming a club etc to make it happen.
rvsixer is offline Find More Posts by rvsixer
Last edited by rvsixer; Mar 09, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
No other Orange County thermal flyers out there? Moving to ALES forum....
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:50 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,767 Posts
I usually fly mine at the local park. We have done all sorts of flying from our park with no issues. We treat everyone well, and they treat us well in return. We have used histarts, flown electrics up to 3 meters, and even the occasional combat wing (quiet ones). We try and limit the planes to the quiet stuff.

Can't say we have a dedicated thermal field I know of in So OC though. I like Oakley Hill for thermal gliders, not electrics. We have very few sanctioned fields at all. You can fly with the gas guys, but that isn't much fun.

I guess for me, the question is why not fly pure glider? We have lots of great slopes!

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:30 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,217 Posts
Fairview park in costa mesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixer View Post
No other Orange County thermal flyers out there? Moving to ALES forum....
Fairview Park, next to Estancia High School is one place i flew years ago - I think Harbor Soaring Society uses that site. This would be a good site for ALES style flying.

2323 Placentia AveCosta Mesa, CA 92627.

web link to flying sites and HSS ->
http://www.1hss.org
last, there is a small site in southern OC on/off Alicia Parkway called "Kite Hill" which a lot of guys fly at.
I have not been there but that may be the hot ticket for your area. I *think* it is at or near the intersection of Alicia Parkway and Aliso Creek Road.

take care, john s.
jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Mar 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:31 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
You can go to ELDorado, not really in the OC, but no one will harass you and even the park rangers stop from time to time to watch the show
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
I usually fly mine at the local park. We have done all sorts of flying from our park with no issues. We treat everyone well, and they treat us well in return. We have used histarts, flown electrics up to 3 meters, and even the occasional combat wing (quiet ones). We try and limit the planes to the quiet stuff.

Can't say we have a dedicated thermal field I know of in So OC though. I like Oakley Hill for thermal gliders, not electrics. We have very few sanctioned fields at all. You can fly with the gas guys, but that isn't much fun.

I guess for me, the question is why not fly pure glider? We have lots of great slopes!

-Wayne
Wayne, thanks for the feedback!

Every school ground around here is marked 'no model aircraft flying', but I don't see that posted at any of the parks (though they are usually swamped with soccer/baseball on weekends). I am going to find out if a group can "schedule" time for field use (that is if there is anyone else interested in ALES).

Yea gas fields don't mix well with TD/ALES. I drove by Oakley but where do you park?

Pure glider? I bought that Speedo for a reason . Now if I can just shake this six day workweek, and finish up the IT cert I am working on in my spare time....
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain View Post
Fairview Park, next to Estancia High School is one place i flew years ago - I think Harbor Soaring Society uses that site. This would be a good site for ALES style flying.

2323 Placentia AveCosta Mesa, CA 92627.

web link to flying sites and HSS ->
http://www.1hss.org
last, there is a small site in southern OC on/off Alicia Parkway called "Kite Hill" which a lot of guys fly at.
I have not been there but that may be the hot ticket for your area. I *think* it is at or near the intersection of Alicia Parkway and Aliso Creek Road.

take care, john s.
John thanks for the reply(s). Unfortunately Fairview is longer a true soaring site with the current no-fly zone restrictions. Kite Hill has turned into an electric field (runway right in the middle of the parking area my $$$ truck almost got hit twice ), and no real TD/ALES landing area available.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoyenny View Post
You can go to ELDorado, not really in the OC, but no one will harass you and even the park rangers stop from time to time to watch the show
Never been there, but I've heard El Dorado is a great place to soar at. Unfortunately its a two hour $25 trip for me (directly in opposition to the "time and distance/fuel price limited" premise of the thread).
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:01 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,217 Posts
contact name

You may want to pm or otherwise contact this fellow if he has any unlisted sites.
He is pretty active in the ales side of the sport/hobby and he lives down your way.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=15263

I remember flying free flight at mile square in garden grove and near the 55/Edinger interchange when i was a kid and now i can only come up with the permit-required costa mesa flying site.
Moving to the IE has turned out ok after all - who would of thunk it after all these years

js
jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:47 AM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,767 Posts
Well, all of the parks we fly in do have signs that state no model flying, no golfing, no fun, etc.. But we have found that the rules are not enforced unless they have a good reason to do so. If you ask for permission you will be turned down. It is added liability for them.

We used to fly electrics from some open land owned by the Irvine Company. It was a nice big area and we never had any issues until the site suddenly got popular, and litter became an issue. Also we had a someone that liked to pull down the No Trespassing signs. Well, we got thrown out of there. We were told it was because of the signs. As long as they had signs up, the Irvine Company was OK with us being there, but with the signs getting pulled down they incurred a higher level of liability.

We do have a little used open space off of Bake Parkway that could be used for thermal flights. You will probably need to make a landing area though. We have been flying electrics and Helicopters there for years. For a while a local hobby store was sending their customers to fly at the field. This became an issue and the cops were asked to clear everyone out. I have not flown there in a long time, but I think it would work for your needs.

We have also spotted out several other fields in the area. One is a business owned park that seems to get almost no use and is away from the general public!! Don't know if there is any thermal in the area though, and an off field landing will be horrible here!! Wooded canyon and busy streets near by.

Oakley Hill -- We just park at the bottom near the fire hydrant and hike up the hill. It is nice this time of year, but we rarely use it come summer. Too hot and the thickets get REALLY bad. It makes for a nice consistent recreational slermal site.

Keep me posted on what you find.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
Good info Wayne, thanks. FYI as of a few months ago they were enforcing at Bake again, haven't been back at the r/c truck courses since.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:44 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,767 Posts
I was going to say the RC car guys tend to get us thrown out of there as they do a lot of damage and tend to leave a lot of mess, make noise, etc. Just the nature of that hobby. They had a heck of a nice track there and on Alton at one time. Used to fly my Slow Stick on their race track. I remember racing a car on the track once. I might have cheated a bit by taking flight occasionally.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
Weird, the car guys I ran with were all pretty civil and running all electric. The gas r/c plane, and full size paraglider pilots stirred the pot last time. Talk about attracting negative attention.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:32 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,767 Posts
Paraglider at Bake?? Gas powered I'm guessing.

Most of the car guys were great! The big gas cars take their toll though. Just like the gas planes. When we flew there we didn't allow gas planes.

I think the real issue is the track building for the car guys. The ground erosion was an issue there too. The neighbors also hate any litter or gas spills on the parking lots.

The occasional dirt bike guys and the 2 fires didn't help matters any either.

Heck, lets face it, it was amazing we were able to do as much there for as long as we did before the neighbors started to get excited. I have seen so many different uses on that land.. Dog walking, model rockets, kite flying, hunting, metal detecting, picnics (go figure), you name it.. It has probably been done there.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain View Post
You may want to pm or otherwise contact this fellow if he has any unlisted sites.
He is pretty active in the ales side of the sport/hobby and he lives down your way.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=15263
Thanks for that link, I will contact him. Looks like they were successful and having fun doing a thermal event at Kite Hill. The parking lot looks empty (which would make it okay to try this). Must have been a weekend ???