JETI 30 amp ESC
E-Flight timer
Turnigy 1000 3 cell Lipo battery
APC 8x6 EP prop
RTF weight of 14 oz.
42' x .008 steel lines

Still working on trimming but seems to fly just fine
The throttle is turned down to about 60%
At that throttle setting after a 4 minute flight my battery is at about 65% charged. At that rate I should be able to easily get 6 minute flight times.
JCastle is offline Find More Posts by JCastle
Last edited by JCastle; Mar 09, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:44 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Aug 2004
120 Posts
Nice! Can you post some flight video? I did a similar hack to a Brodak Baby Clown before they offered it for electric. I was generally pleased with the flight performance.
TheRocksKid is offline Find More Posts by TheRocksKid
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
875 Posts
Somewhat misleading subject line. There was only one Pinto, and it was the Half-A glow-powered model by Dick Mathis.
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
The Bent Pin
McMinnville, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2000
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
Somewhat misleading subject line. There was only one Pinto, and it was the Half-A glow-powered model by Dick Mathis.
Built off of his plans with with a few mods to make it electric. It seemed like I should still give him credit by calling it a Pinto though.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
875 Posts
I guess I wasn't any more clear myself, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCastle View Post
Built off of his plans with with a few mods to make it electric. It seemed like I should still give him credit by calling it a Pinto though.
Actually, I meant to say that Mathis's own Pinto existed in only the single size, Half-A, and your thread title seemed to me to seem to refer to only one Pinto out of several, like sizes of Ringmasters or some such (although if I remember correctly, it was a lookalike to Dee Rice's 35-size Oriental).

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, CA, Mariposa
Joined May 2011
236 Posts
Looks great. I picked up one of those timers on a whim. This looks like a good use.

Your work area is waaaay too tidy though! I like the organizer... Made from plywood?
CZ10 is offline Find More Posts by CZ10
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:55 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,885 Posts
Post #2 has the original article for the "Pinto" as well as plan and photos. Carstens still sell the plan for it:
http://carstensbookstore.com/pinto.html
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82...tm.htm#9145500
A friend of mine build one in the early 80's for a TD .051, very nice plane!
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:08 AM
S.E. Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
852 Posts
That looks like a beautiful job! The thought of electric C/L is really intriguing. I never was worth a darn at flying U/C. Built and crashed several Ringmasters and Magicians.
Lost_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by Lost_Dawg
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:25 PM
The Bent Pin
McMinnville, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2000
211 Posts
Here is a video of the plane in flight. That bit of nonsense at the end I believe to be the clips on my lines snagged on each other as I started the overhead eights. I came pretty close to snuffing it but it managed to work itself out before anything to drastic happened. I am still working on the beginners pattern so I am setting the timer for 3 minutes and run two patterns on each charge for 6 minutes of run time.

Electric Control Line 1/2a Pinto (3 min 11 sec)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:42 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,885 Posts
Nice performance JCastle, seems fast on 42' lines which give good line tension! Always had to struggle with 1/2A stunters and wind gust!
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, CA, Mariposa
Joined May 2011
236 Posts
Right about 37 MPH - looks nice. It looked like maybe it started to come in on you in those eights at the end. Maybe you got too tight and it stalled?
CZ10 is offline Find More Posts by CZ10
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:52 PM
The Bent Pin
McMinnville, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2000
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ10 View Post
It looked like maybe it started to come in on you in those eights at the end.
Good eye, yes it does tend to come in on me on the second loop of the eight and on the top of the square loop and at least this time on the start of the overhead eights (thus the tangled clips). I am open to suggestion on any trim issues that you may see. After looking at the video I am kind of thinking that a little more tip weight may be needed.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:08 AM
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
Hello, I posted a question at Electric Flight General about E powered C/L planes before finding this forum/thread................and I guess you could be the person with answers to my questions.

My question was how does one power and wire up a B/less motor with an ESC ( do you require one?) and the E flite Timer. My first effort is a Guillows conversion which I intend to build with my grandson and power it up for tethered flight.......then move on to control line flying. Can you show me how to wire/set everything up. I do have experience with electric RC
Your kind reply and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
captsiva is offline Find More Posts by captsiva
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Jan 2008
154 Posts
That is so cool!
I've had a RSM Pinto for a couple years. The wing was destroyed before I could finish her. The rest of the kit is intact.
I'm really glad I never did anything with now. Thanks for posting this JCastle. I really need to get an electric set up for mine... and a new wing set from RSM

DM
AURORA60 is offline Find More Posts by AURORA60
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:23 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCastle View Post
Good eye, yes it does tend to come in on me on the second loop of the eight and on the top of the square loop and at least this time on the start of the overhead eights (thus the tangled clips). I am open to suggestion on any trim issues that you may see. After looking at the video I am kind of thinking that a little more tip weight may be needed.
1 to 2 degrees of offset thrust.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr