HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:28 PM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
348 Posts
Discussion
My Guillows Models

Hey Guys.

I`ve started building the 500 series and just finished the messerschmitt. It`s the first stick and tissue model I`ve done in a very long time. I plan on building the entire 500 series for static display to hang from the ceiling in my bedroom. I might even paint the ceiling blue and throw in some clouds. So here are some pics for your pleasure. I built it straight from the box but carved a nose cone, prop blades, added a seat and a tail wheel. In the future I will fill in the wing tips with balsa and ad more stringers to the wings and fuselage for a better covering job. Tissue applied with white glue, 2 coats of dope, then finished with acrylics and enamels.
Willj is offline Find More Posts by Willj
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:06 PM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
348 Posts
I was wondering about navigation lights. Is there a red one on the port side and green one on the starbord side ? Thanks
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:38 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,353 Posts
Did Guillows ever get a laser cutter or do they still make stone age kits that you have to cut out yourself?
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:36 PM
Edgewood, KY (Cincinnati)
Joined Jan 2004
164 Posts
RC Man, Guilows appears to be gradually moving their series into laser production. At their website, they indicate the 200, 300, 400, & 700 series kits as laser cut.
Bruno Stachel is online now Find More Posts by Bruno Stachel
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
348 Posts
4 more awesome 500 series models in progress. I`m, working on the Warhawk currently and started cutting out the Focke Wulf. Bought the Hellcat Yesterday. Just need to find or order the Zero. These are the die cut 15.99 dollar models and worth every penny. The die cutting is better on some than others. Over all not too bad. Once I have the frames all built I`ll cover them all at the same time, then I can get to the fun part of painting and detailing.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:49 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,174 Posts
Willj,
Nice models, nice builds. wish I had the time to do that.
Aircraft nav lights are the same as boats, red on the left and green on the right and white on the tail facing rear. I assume that's an international standard and includes 1940 Axis aircraft.
I've been buying Guillows off and on since the early 60's and never came across one you had to cut out the parts in.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
348 Posts
[QUOTE=aeronca52;21003576]Willj,
Nice models, nice builds. wish I had the time to do that.
Aircraft nav lights are the same as boats, red on the left and green on the right and white on the tail facing rear. I assume that's an international standard and includes 1940 Axis aircraft.
I've been buying Guillows off and on since the early 60's and never came across one you had to cut out the parts in.[/QUOte

Thanks for that info about the lights. I used some colored foil and added it to the wing tips. Ya know, I don`t really have the time either and I probly should be focused on other more important things, but I can`t help myself.My mind, body and soul seem to suck me into my model room. I just have to build. It`s where I`m most content.

Some of the parts pop out but others have to be cut through at certain points. The vertical bulkheads especially. All of the stringer notches need to be cut into to remove the wood. A little tedious but still fun.

Last edited by Willj; Mar 11, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:25 PM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
348 Posts
The two cessna kits I picked up at a garge sale for 10.00. They got me back into buiding planes. At some point I`ll cover them. The 150 has yellowed decals. I`ll have to order new ones. These 2 kits could be from the 70`s. The wood was quite old and dry.
Last edited by Willj; Mar 11, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2004
164 Posts
IIRC, I thought I read somewhere that you can place water slide decals in a clear sandwich bag, and place them on a sunny window sill. I believe the idea is that the ultraviolet rays should take out the yellow. I think I read it on a plastic model building forum. Might be worth a try. The only other problem though, may be brittleness.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:44 PM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Stachel View Post
IIRC, I thought I read somewhere that you can place water slide decals in a clear sandwich bag, and place them on a sunny window sill. I believe the idea is that the ultraviolet rays should take out the yellow. I think I read it on a plastic model building forum. Might be worth a try. The only other problem though, may be brittleness.
Thanks for that info. I`ll try it and see what happens.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Jan 2004
164 Posts
I just looked around and found this tip for brittle decals. I believe he's using clear coat.
Gundam/ mech model workshop 38: Vintage/ weak water slide decal repair (1 min 53 sec)

And here's something for the yellowed decals. See "Salvaging Old Faulty Decals".

http://www.redroomodels.com/hints-an...ing-decals.php

The writer says to put the decals in a north window. I believe we need the south window in the northern hemisphere. Just keep monitoring the decals, and get them out of the sun soon after the yellow is gone. Good luck.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:18 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,174 Posts
On the other hand, Guillows lists the decal sheet (#309) as just $3.00. Is it worth the trouble to save the old one when for $3 you will receive a nice new sheet?

FWIW my wife puts Tupperware in the sunny window to remove tomato paste stains.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Jan 2004
164 Posts
Yep, but it won't cost much if any to try.

My wife just puts the tuna casserole in with the tomato stains!

BTW Willj, those are some beautiful birds you have there. I recently built an Arrow, and have a Cessna 180 kit, I'd like to build as Jim Tweto's from Flying Wild Alaska. There's something about these kits. Plain fun to build aren't they.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
348 Posts
I`ll probly buy the decals . I need a windshield for the spitfire so I`ll order the decals with it. If the shipping ends up being 15..00 or more I`ll just buy another spitfire kit. I am going to hang the decals in the window and see what happens to them. If it works I will be amazed. Clearcoating the decals is a good idea. Thanks for those vid links.

I love the Guillows kits. The plans are easy to follow and they are fairly inexpensive. It`s unfortunate that the lazer kits are twice as much. I really don`t see why they should cost almost double. I`ll stick with the die cut as long as they are available.

Once I`m finsished the 500 series I`m going to build the B-25 and the Douglas. I have also been fantasysing about a squad of planes, maybe 5 or 6 messerschmitts, or? hanging somewhere in the house. I think it would look really cool.

At some point I`ll show you guys some of my other finished Guillows models.

I almost bought the aero a couple of weeks ago but I held off. Nice looking kit and a great price.
See ya.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:32 AM
Cheapskate Parkflyer
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Dec 2008
107 Posts
I have that 170 chillin in my hobby room. I've been waiting for r/c gear to get small enough to make it fly. Now that the gear is the right size I cannot find the plans! I was thinking about going to kinkos and printing off some new ones once I find them online. But it looks like you're having all the fun, so I might go buy another one and just build two!
ArmyFlight is offline Find More Posts by ArmyFlight