Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:09 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Question
Shorting jumper leads on Power Supply

I have two Dell Poweredge 2850 power supplies that I'm converting for use with a charger. I was curious if anyone had any recommendations for permanently affixing the required pin shorts. There's not a whole lot of room for error if I solder direct. I was hoping there was some kind of one pin jumper that I could solder to in order to make it easier. Any suggestions or is everyone just really good solderers. I am not that great unfortunately. I've thought about possible cutting up a servo lead to help possibly.
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:12 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,554 Posts
Most use standard pin spacing that is the same as use on hard Drives, DVV Burners,etc. for Drive Select thus computer drive select shorting / selection clips work fine.. Also same spacing as servo connectios.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:30 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,707 Posts
I always take mine apart and do it internally. Wire wrapping works great, just strip off the insulation and solder to the points needed. Also can use stranded wires, not from our sillicone wire, but like a trailer plug uses. I then make a sticker for the case showing there is a mod inside on pins xx, xx, xx.

For testing I use a servo wire that has had the pins pulled out of the connector. Once you get the ones you need to short out solder these directly to the pins and slip heat shrink over the soldered connections. The tails can all be soldered together. IMO, it works but is fuggily.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:53 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
rampman, you're talking about pulling the pin assembly off, finding the source wire, and soldering directly to that? Hmm...hadn't thought about that.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:33 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,707 Posts
Naa, too hard to pull all of those off. Inside they all go like this:
L L L L L
L L L L L
L L L L L
L L L L L
so from the inside where they solder to the PCB I go:
\ L L L L
L \ L L L
L L \ L L
L L L L L
...where the wack ( \ ) is a wire connecting all to each other, a jumper wire. I do it on the PCB. Sometimes I do this at the ribbon cable header, sometimes on the hot swap header; which ever is easiest.
I always take these apart anyhow to blow out all the dust inside and change out some of the screws to adapt to my termination block of choice. It only takes another couple minutes to short these inside.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:51 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
I kind of understand. I have to go look at it tonight. If you have any pictures that would help. Thanks for your post