SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:44 AM View Post
Truth Squad
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,759 Posts
Well, lift is not drag, but that's because we like to split hairs and decided that lift is one thing and drag another. Both are a result of the interaction between a body and its surrounding air, their sum being the force that the air is inducing on the body, and that unfortunately, as far as I know, does not have a name. We could call it "Philip", it does not matter. Lift (and drag) are not Philip because we decided that lift is the component of Philip perpendicular to the motion and drag is the component parallel to it.
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
Well, lift is not drag, but that's because we like to split hairs and decided that lift is one thing and drag another. Both are a result of the interaction between a body and its surrounding air, their sum being the force that the air is inducing on the body, and that unfortunately, as far as I know, does not have a name. We could call it "Philip", it does not matter. Lift (and drag) are not Philip because we decided that lift is the component of Philip perpendicular to the motion and drag is the component parallel to it.
Yes - I agree -
We have the same forces -just renamed .
It is possible to have lift which is not wanted and drag which is wanted .
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Squad View Post
So when you write that you have a round airfoil that doesn’t stall you are not talking about high percentage thickness airfoils anymore, you are talking about a round section?

Do you really have an airplane with a round section wing?

Sorry, lift is not drag.
Round wing - - well depends on what yo u call an airplane
round will work - just not very well.
and you have to spin the crap out of it.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:55 PM
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Mar 2012
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
It is possible to have lift which is not wanted and drag which is wanted .
I think most parachute deployments are occassions where lift is not wanted but drag is desirable.
ShoeDLG is offline Find More Posts by ShoeDLG
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:15 PM View Post
Truth Squad
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeDLG View Post
I think most parachute deployments are occassions where lift is not wanted but drag is desirable.
Good example - not the only application tho.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Squad View Post
I know how rotating a cylinder wing works. Is your non-stalling airfoil an actual airfoil or is it a rotating cylinder? In other words, does the airfoil have a name or number?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
No name- no number -
What is an actual airfoil?
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:53 PM View Post
Truth Squad
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:53 PM View Post
Truth Squad
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,774 Posts
actually any shape which can create lift is an airfoil-
the required shape is not necessarily one you perhaps studied in school.
This stuff isn't really that difficult -
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:05 PM View Post
Truth Squad
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,774 Posts
Frankly I doubt you could trick a dog into eating a burger -
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:00 PM View Post
Truth Squad
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:43 AM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,787 Posts
Wow. I mean, wow. As a professional Aerospace Engineer with 22 years in the businsess designing gas turbine engines for General Electric, and implementing those systems on both military and civilian aircraft, I can say, without a doubt, that this thread is bogus on many levels- the magnitude of which truly boggles the mind.

First, air is VERY compressable. Extremely compressable, especially at altitude.

Second, air has no momentum. Air is static relative to the aircraft. The airplane moves through a body of air. The "downwash" is the displacement of air behind the wing as it passes through a body of air and immediatly and violently rises back up, which is a phenominon known as wake turbulence (and several other forms of turbulence). Yes, it is not uniform or even remotely organized (though it is far better today than it was 50 years ago), and depending on the amount of air displaced, the effects of the airfoil's passage might be felt hundreds of feet above and below the aircraft. But again, AIR IS EXTREMELY COMPRESSABLE, and the effects on the planet is zero.

Airplanes fly for the same reason boats float. They displace an equal mass of air as the aircraft per unit of time. A wing generally is curved on the top and flat on the bottom (actually few transonic or supersonic airfoils are shaped this way anymore) which follows Bernoulli's principle, and sort of pulls the air down above the wing and pushes down the air below it. But the air affected will not make its way down to the Earth.

Anyway, good luck to you all.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave