HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Sep 2007
221 Posts
Steve Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Steve Anderson
Last edited by Steve Anderson; Sep 30, 2014 at 07:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
There've been any number of lateral/vertical area equalized pattern planes which needed trim changes upright and inverted, if memory serves.
If there was no trim change needed, these planes would dominate the field.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old May 14, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Sep 2007
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
There've been any number of lateral/vertical area equalized pattern planes which needed trim changes upright and inverted, if memory serves.
If there was no trim change needed, these planes would dominate the field.
Read my last sentence again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Anderson View Post
Or, no matter where the cg is, inverting the plane would have the exact opposite decalage for trim if it not for the pitching moment from fin drag.
Exact opposite decalage may be a trim change! Without a verticle fin, or some other asymmetry, inverted would have the exact opposite trim. It could be many degrees, or none at all, depending on the cg location.
Last edited by Steve Anderson; May 14, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,373 Posts
Well Steve - how exactly does the required AOA re establish it's self?
Try it -setup a cg where downforce is positive- zero -or positive - I really don't care which
any setup has to fight gravity and when craft is turned upside it is then reversed in it's effect.
The wing will NOT establish correct AOA all on it's own-it must be held at correct AOA by some force.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old May 14, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Sep 2007
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Try it -setup a cg where downforce is positive- zero -or positive - I really don't care which
any setup has to fight gravity and when craft is turned upside it is then reversed in it's effect.
The wing will NOT establish correct AOA all on it's own-it must be held at correct AOA by some force.
The exact same way it is established right side up. If everything is symmetrical and trimmed and you roll it over why would it require anything but an equally opposite trim setting?

If the cg is maintaining a given AOA for level flight without any decalage as it rolls to 90 gravity is no longer influencing the airplane in pitch and so the wing is at 0 AOA. From there it does not matter if you go inverted or back to right side up, the AOA is going right back to what it was before. Why wouldn't it?
Old May 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Mar 2012
864 Posts
Quote:
I'm curious as to what level of fidelity would be required to demonstrate this sufficiently. I made a 5g free-flight balsa glider that seems to show that you can achieve upright and inverted trim without changing anything. My specs are:

wing root chord: 50 mm
wing tip chord: 50 mm
wing semi-span: 100 mm
wing sweep: 0

tail root chord: 30 mm
tail tip chord: 30 mm
tail semi-span: 50 mm
tail sweep: 0

wing LE to tail LE: 70 mm
wing/tail incidence: 0/0

CG: approx. 18 mm from wing LE

vertical tail chord: 25 mm
vertical tail span: 32 mm

Flat (unshaped) balsa sheeting for all surfaces.

I can throw this and it will achieve a stable glide. I turn it upside down and throw it at about the same speed. It achieves a stable glide that looks identical (to my eye) as when I threw it "upright".
ShoeDLG is offline Find More Posts by ShoeDLG
Old May 14, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,373 Posts
Because there must be some effective AOA on the wing to establish a pressure difference top /bottom
No pressure difference = no lift.
however
Your example would work in vertical travel .
Old May 14, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeDLG View Post
I'm curious as to what level of fidelity would be required to demonstrate this sufficiently. I made a 5g free-flight balsa glider that seems to show that you can achieve upright and inverted trim without changing anything. My specs are:

wing root chord: 50 mm
wing tip chord: 50 mm
wing semi-span: 100 mm
wing sweep: 0

tail root chord: 30 mm
tail tip chord: 30 mm
tail semi-span: 50 mm
tail sweep: 0

wing LE to tail LE: 70 mm
wing/tail incidence: 0/0

CG: approx. 18 mm from wing LE

vertical tail chord: 25 mm
vertical tail span: 32 mm

Flat (unshaped) balsa sheeting for all surfaces.

I can throw this and it will achieve a stable glide. I turn it upside down and throw it at about the same speed. It achieves a stable glide that looks identical (to my eye) as when I threw it "upright".
Not the same thing .
But I don't doubt your results. Your model is sinking - I am looking at sustained level flight as a goal.. That requires power
Old May 14, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Sep 2007
221 Posts
Quote:
Because there must be some effective AOA on the wing to establish a pressure difference top /bottom
No pressure difference = no lift.
however
Your example would work in vertical travel .
Like I wrote...
Quote:
If the cg is maintaining a given AOA for level flight without any decalage
I think "given AOA for level flight" means the same thing as effective AOA for level flight. In other words, it has sufficient lift for level flight. Does it not?

You do understand that the AOA of an airplane can be controlled with the elevator fixed in place, with or without decalage, simply by moving the cg fore and aft?
Old May 14, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,373 Posts
Quote:
Like I wrote...

I think "given AOA for level flight" means the same thing as effective AOA for level flight. In other words, it has sufficient lift for level flight. Does it not?

You do understand that the AOA of an airplane can be controlled with the elevator fixed in place, with or without decalage, simply by moving the cg fore and aft?
absolutely -I do it all the time.
You are proposing a arrangement where the stab produces NO net downforce- correct?
Have you tried this?
powered model - held level hands off flight? upright and inverted?
Old May 15, 2012, 05:11 AM
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Mar 2012
864 Posts
Quote:
Richard,

A free-flight glider that glides steadily both upright and inverted with no configuration change demonstrates that the required AOA will reestablish itself. If the glider maintained the same AOA when inverted it would accelerate into the ground in a progressively steeper dive... It doesn't do that. The wing establishes one AOA upright and a different AOA inverted.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,373 Posts
Not the same thing-
You are describing a model -powered by gravity which
"possibly" if balanced with NO downforce on the tail, could roll inverted then reestablish a positive AOA on the wing.
This not the same as trimming for level ,constant speed - then rolling to inverted and reestablishing positive AOA.
How do you re establish the AOA needed ?
Also - the craft must be powered to even attempt this
Old May 15, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Sep 2007
221 Posts
Last edited by Steve Anderson; Sep 30, 2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:35 AM
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Mar 2012
864 Posts
Quote:
Also - the craft must be powered to even attempt this
The power is a red herring to the issue at hand, but I'm sure this is also possible.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:44 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
[QUOTE=Steve Anderson;21618506...

It makes no difference if it is gliding, powered level flight or climbing, conventional, tandem or canard, trim is trim. If everything is symmetrical the equal opposite trim setting while inverted will result in the exact same AOA and lift. If everything is symmetrical how can anything be different?[/QUOTE]
Other than a symmetrical airfoil having no lift at zero AOA?
And the horizontal at zero AOA?
There must be longitudinal dihedral for stable flight, upright.
Either the wing will have (must have) incidence if symmetrical, or the tail is deflected from zero to give the download the plane will need for stable flight.
With the surfaces fixed, it can not fly stably inverted, it will dive.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul