HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Discussion
Walkera Devo 7 Software Update..RIPOFF Charging owners $34.77 to update

UPDATE: PLEASE READ ThiS:
The UP-02 is now available at hobbyone.hk. If you have no idea what this is then I will tell you. Walkera made updates available for all radios. I have a Devo 7 and went to their website to download the new updates. In their update software there was a .pdf that had said "to update your Devo 7 you will need the UP-02 dongle" I loooked in my Minicp rtf box with Devo7 and there is no UP-02!
I contacted Walkera and there reply was " the dongle will be available soon". I could not believe they had a update available but no way to use it. 3-10-12 is when I emailed Walkera, they just responded today.

So here is the new dongle

Its going to cost 16.00 + 18.77 for for the cheapest shipping rate to Michigan according to hobbyone.hk site!. I would think the official updater dongle should be free or a little cheaper.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like there is a bug in Devo 7's software. I havent noticed though. I will not be doing this update, I am scared to. I would rather hear about other people's experiences. Have you noticed any bugs in the software? maybe we could email Walkera into changing some things with the software. I know that the first thing I would change is installing as alarm. I always seem to leave my Devo 7 on. I wish it had an alarm that would go off after 4 minutes of nothing being touched on the transmitter. What would you change? Be real though, this is the cheapest Devo.

This is what the update entails....
2012-03-08 DEVO 7 10mw program document V0.3B. version release V0.3 Amend the Swashplate Mix Control BUG
Intall SerialAngel Client upgrade software first.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Last edited by mescalinedream; Apr 05, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:21 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,377 Posts
The software update integrates an iphone app that enables the Devo 7 to brew coffee ()

Similar to this:

Coffee Brewing Phone (0 min 46 sec)
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:36 PM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
129 Posts
Me too. I have not had a problem with my Devo7 and I like it a lot. I think I will wait and see if there are reports of the update causing a problem.
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:36 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
This is what walkera has said to me about what the update does:

Dear Groves,

Thanks for your email.

Pls let people know:
we just revised the bug from DEVO7 radio because that the EXP. button of the original setting was OFF, in the new upgrade software, it's ON. that's it.so that the tail servo can work properly.
you can down the manual from the update tool of DEVO7.

Many Thanks & Best regards
Sheila.Deng

I still have no clue!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
129 Posts
Huhh... Did I miss something in the translation?
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Also it is said in the Walkera Devo 7 update software that a ub-02 plug is required to do the update. i cannot find this dongle device/adapter anywhere on the net. Some people say its just a usb to mini trs cable but sometimes these have a circuit board in them. Do not confuse the ub-02 with the ub-01 that is currently available. The pdf that comes with the 7 update clearly states we need the ub-02!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Oh yeah I just got an email from Sheila at Walkera saying the update dongle ub02 will be available soon at hobbyone.hk
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
The UP-02 is now available at hobbyone.hk. If you have no idea what this is then I will tell you. Walkera made updates available for all radios. I have a Devo 7 and went to their website to download the new updates. In their update software there was a .pdf that had said "to update your Devo 7 you will need the UP-02 dongle" I loooked in my Minicp rtf box with Devo7 and there is no UP-02!
I contacted Walkera and there reply was " the dongle will be available soon". I could not believe they had a update available but no way to use it. 3-10-12 is when I emailed Walkera, they just responded today.

So here is the new dongle

Its going to cost 16.00 + 18.77 for for the cheapest shipping rate to Michigan according to hobbyone.hk site!. I would think the official updater dongle should be free or a little cheaper.

I opened up the devo 7 and did a pinout with more info here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=260
Last edited by mescalinedream; Apr 05, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5 Posts
not 35 bucks

I bought my up02 for 15.99 plus 5.21 shipping from oomodel.com and that was with other merchandise I purchased with the dongle. Like so many companies have done Walkera is improving its DSSS and moving to a DSSS/FHSS hybrid. The Devo 7 is going to become the bottom line transmitter bundled with their flying product line. Most people will never use the download capability of the devo 7. I think it's pretty nice of the Walkera to offer the up02 to people who do want to download model configuration and firmware upgrades. I paid 50 bucks for my Devo 7 and its a better transmitter than any 200 dollar range Futaba, Spektrum or Airtronics radio. I just purchase a Spektrum DX6I and the Devo 7 is a better radio both in construction and configure-ability and at one third the price. What bugs me is every time I buy some new device I have to get another programmer to update the FLocking thing. I have Accumulated a dozen different programmers in the past five years and every time ATMEGA, STM, Motorola or another dozen smaller companies come out with as winning microcontroller there goes another twenty bucks for another programmer. So if We want to tinker I guess we have to pay for it.

carlt1912 is offline Find More Posts by carlt1912
Old May 23, 2012, 09:32 PM
Deutschland, HB, Bremen
Joined Dec 2008
247 Posts
and for the receiver update yet another adapter

THX Walkera

snapper1234 is offline Find More Posts by snapper1234
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
Well I have a new Devo 7 and I think I understand their bug !!! I have no rudder control whatsoever unless I'm in Swash 1-NOR, when I go to Swash 3-120 the Gryo controls the rudder when pivoting left and right, but no stick control of the rudder... I'm pissed !
loydta is offline Find More Posts by loydta
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:01 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,788 Posts
I thought the bug had to do with the throttle hold. If you program it and use it, after switching back your throttle is all screwed up. The only way to get it back is to turn it off and back on.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:18 AM
Before Oblivion
United Kingdom, England, Kingswinford
Joined Oct 2004
175 Posts
I have the strangest feeling that this was planned.
Wouldn't surprise me if Walkera did this to make extra cash.
After buying one of their products I'm not a Walkera fan.
olof is offline Find More Posts by olof
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
Problem upgrade devo 7 UP02

Hello!

I upgraded my DEVO 7 using the UP02 but since that my Devo screen continues showing "UPGRADE" and I don't now how to go back to normal. Is it possible to RESET the devo or should I press something?

Thank you very much,

Burzumito
Burzumito is offline Find More Posts by Burzumito
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
i have the same problem ,and it rendures the devo 7 useless. help?
robnh is offline Find More Posts by robnh
Last edited by robnh; Sep 14, 2012 at 02:40 PM.