Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Discussion
Futaba 6EX to FrSky Conversion for longer range

Hey Gang

I am wanting to extend the range of my Futaba 6EX for FPV. I have been reading up on FrSky which looks like an affordable option. I was wondering if I could use the trainer port to connect this system up?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Kind Regards

Jason
WhiteNite1971 is offline Find More Posts by WhiteNite1971
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined May 2005
816 Posts
What kind of range are you getting with the Futaba system, currently? Technologically, the FrSky isn't really better than Futaba FASST I wouldn't think.

EDIT: Here's a link to a range test a guy did on his 6EX:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...tm.htm#9814856
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Lrs

Hi caseih

I have flown out to 2.5km no problem although I would like to fly much further. I was reading the following page Range Video and understand that with the right combination I could get 10km.

Regards

Jason
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined May 2005
816 Posts
I doubt you can get more than 2.5-3.5 km out of the FrSky without doing doing something like a directional antenna.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined May 2005
816 Posts
Ahh yes, I see. They only get 10km range with a 1-watt 2.4 GHz booster. Since the FrSky's antenna is removable, that lends itself well to this sort of thing. Always be aware that certain power levels and radiation patterns may not be legal in your jurisdiction.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:35 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
What kind of range are you getting with the Futaba system, currently? Technologically, the FrSky isn't really better than Futaba FASST I wouldn't think.

EDIT: Here's a link to a range test a guy did on his 6EX:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...tm.htm#9814856
Actually it is... from a guy flying both side by side.
Ironically, especially technological Frsky is better, using chips 6 years newer concept than Futaba (2009 vs 2003)
Not only Frsky ACCST over FASST is better as systems, but also the Frsky FASST compatible receiver has a notch over genuine Futaba receiver, using same old 2003 chips, but better tuned.
Not much, as in 3km vs 2.5k, but at 1/3 price...
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:49 AM
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Long Range System

Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies. The key then is to work out a way to get FrSky to work with my Futaba 6EX or find a TX that is compatible with FrSky such as the Turnigy 9X which seems to be forever out of stock. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Jason
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:21 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,474 Posts
Or to wait for the summer for own Frsky radio

Until then you can train your FPV skills in 1-2 km range with your Futaba, by simply extending receiver to double actual lenght.
FPV is not a place where you can jump directly in LR, even if having decades of RC flying under belt. A lot of things could go wrong and carefuly planning is required, not only gear.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined May 2005
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNite1971 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The key then is to work out a way to get FrSky to work with my Futaba 6EX or find a TX that is compatible with FrSky such as the Turnigy 9X which seems to be forever out of stock. Any suggestions?
If your Futaba does modules you can just buy a FrSky module for it. Or else get a FrSky DHT DIY kit. You can open your radio up, identify the power, ground, and ppm lines, and solder it in, replacing the existing radio board. Lots of people on the group have put DIY's into futaba, so you can search for instructions on that.

As for Turnigy 9x, if you really want one, you have to order it now to get in line. Whether HK has them in stock or not, if you order, they will ship it to you in about 4 weeks. If you keep waiting for them to be in stock, you'll never get one because stock that comes in fills back orders first.

You can read about the 9x radio on this forum in great detail, but if it were me, and I liked the way the Futaba functioned, I'd just put the FrSky DIY kit in it.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Hey Gang

Thanks for the replies. I have been doing a fair bit of reading on this topic. Is there anything preventing me from connecting FrSky V8HT via the Futaba Trainer Port (see below)? It would allow me to simply connect the PPM out, GND and +ve without opening the Futaba unit. I could then place the FrSky in a enclosure on the back similar to Chainlink/Dragonlink but at a fraction of the cost.

As always interested in your thoughts.

Regards

Jason
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:58 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,388 Posts
Jason,

I don't see a reason preventing you from doing it. See my blog about a similar mod I did.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined May 2005
816 Posts
But skip the V8HT DIY kit. Just get the DHT one; it's the two-way transmitter. It's backwards compatible with the V8HT. I believe the V8HT and the all the FrSky One-way transmitters will soon be phased out. There's just no reason not to get the two-way (telemetry) transmitter.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Hey Gang

Thanks for the replies. I have heard on the grape vine that FrSky has got plans for long range system aimed at FPV. Does anyone have any details on this?

Regards

Jason
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:07 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,474 Posts
Not so long as you hope. Not UHF/433MHz band, it is still 2.4G, but everything tuned to be optimal, so you can have 5-6km out of the box. Everything else will not pass FCC cert.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,050 Posts
What's the different between these two modules for the futaba?

"DF" FrSky Combo Pack
"FF" FrSky Combo Pack
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UHF / 1.3ghz Relay Stations