HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:47 PM
sacramento. ca
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
Discussion
Decision, hitec Optic 6, Optic 6 sport, dx6i OR??

History

I flew nitro r/c planes for a lot of years ending about 13 years ago, have never owned a "REAL" 2.4ghz transmitter, just the ones that come with the e-flite blade msr, and I recently bought a heap of junk called the BNF e-flite umx extra 300 3d, honestly for what it was I had a lot of fun flying it and getting into flying style I had never done before until the crap aileron servo lost mesh, didn't strip the gears, just lost mesh on the right servo and is not flyable after about 25 flights....still have to make a phone call to horizon and see if I can get some new servo's comped and then SELL IT. it served it's purpose....

Anyways I AM HOOKED on r/cplanes again and I like the idea and ease of parkflying (stones throw for me) compared to loading up all the gear and FUEL and going out to a REALLY REMOTE location or to a flying field back in the day. I've been doing a lot of reading and I have my eyes set on a dw foamies 48" 9mm kit. I'm thinking of going with the extra 330 since the extra was what got me addicted to flying again

THE QUESTION

I was thinking about getting a dx6i and I have been doing some browsing through threads and have read that various items are junk on them like the trim tabs. that I don't like so much, the price for me was what drew me into looking at the dx6i

THEN I noticed one member said that the optic 6 was a much better radio. I started looking on e-bay and I like the price range. what's the difference between the optic 6 and optic 6 sport? I noticed the combo of the optic 6 I was looking at INCLUDES: Hitec Optic 6 2.4GHz Transmitter
Spectra 2.4GHz Module,
(2) Optima 7 Receivers,
Transmitter Battery: #54119 9.6V 1300mAh NiMH
Wall Charger,
Four-cell battery Holder
On/Off switch, receiver foam and manual for just over 200 bucks with shipping and I can also combine shipping and order the hs65 mg's and a minima 6e receiver I'd use for the foamie, then I'll have to decide what I'm going to build to house the 7 channel receiver

IF I GO THAT ROUTE.

Any help with my choice would be greatly appreciated. I plan on making my order this weekend.

I like the price range of the dx6i and the optic 6, optic 6 sport and I like that the optic 6's are brand name that has been around since I originally started flying around 18 years ago.

I DISLIKE that spectrum DX line of transmitters are made by horizon because after my time with the eflite blade SR, blade MSR and the extra 300 recently, I know they (horizon) take care of people WHEN not IF problems arise BUT I'd rather not deal with problems to begin with.

ALSO I'm open to suggestions for other quality radios in the same price range.

ANY help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks guys and gals
MikeontheBike is offline Find More Posts by MikeontheBike
Last edited by MikeontheBike; Mar 09, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeontheBike View Post
History- I flew nitro r/c planes for a lot of years ending about 13 years ago, have never owned a "REAL" 2.4ghz transmitter, just the ones that come with the e-flite blade msr, and I recently bought a heap of junk called the BNF e-flite umx extra 300 3d, honestly for what it was I had a lot of fun flying it and getting into flying style I had never done before until the crap aileron servo lost mesh, didn't strip the gears, just lost mesh on the right servo and is not flyable after about 25 flights....still have to make a phone call to horizon and see if I can get some new servo's comped and then SELL IT. it served it's purpose....Anyways I AM HOOKED on r/cplanes again and I like the idea and ease of parkflying (stones throw for me) compared to loading up all the gear and FUEL and going out to a REALLY REMOTE location or to a flying field back in the day. I've been doing a lot of reading and I have my eyes set on a dw foamies 48" 9mm kit. I'm thinking of going with the extra 330 since the extra was what got me addicted to flying again
THE QUESTION
I was thinking about getting a dx6i and I have been doing some browsing through threads and have read that various items are junk on them like the trim tabs. that I don't like so much, the price for me was what drew me into looking at the dx6i
THEN I noticed one member said that the optic 6 was a much better radio. I started looking on e-bay and I like the price range. what's the difference between the optic 6 and optic 6 sport? I noticed the combo of the optic 6 I was looking at INCLUDES: Hitec Optic 6 2.4GHz Transmitter
Spectra 2.4GHz Module,
(2) Optima 7 Receivers,
Transmitter Battery: #54119 9.6V 1300mAh NiMH
Wall Charger,
Four-cell battery Holder
On/Off switch, receiver foam and manual for just over 200 bucks with shipping and I can also combine shipping and order the hs65 mg's and a minima 6e receiver I'd use for the foamie, then I'll have to decide what I'm going to build to house the 7 channel receiver
IF I GO THAT ROUTE. Any help with my choice would be greatly appreciated. I plan on making my order this weekend.
I like the price range of the dx6i and the optic 6, optic 6 sport and I like that the optic 6's are brand name that has been around since I originally started flying around 18 years ago. I DISLIKE that spectrum DX line of transmitters are made by horizon because after my time with the eflite blade SR, blade MSR and the extra 300 recently, I know they (horizon) take care of people WHEN not IF problems arise BUT I'd rather not deal with problems to begin with.
ALSO I'm open to suggestions for other quality radios in the same price range. ANY help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks guys and gals
May one suggest a new alternative?
Check out the new Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro, not much more in $ but very much more
than the Optic 6, given backlit on screen telemetry and other extra features, refer:

Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro 2.4Ghz now in stores.
. Improved with 16 model memory, top rotary knobs changed to rear sliders and more added features
- go to link & expand picture three times for enlarged easy to read details.
. Eclipse 7 Pro Manual - PDF.

Following might assist:
. Hitec Eclipse - All Manuals, Addenda, Quick Setup, CCPM and Additional Programming FAQ

. Hitec Optic 6 & Optic 6 Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, Comparison Charts, Updates & FAQ

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:11 AM
sacramento. ca
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
May one suggest a new alternative?
Check out the new Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro, not much more in $ but very much more
than the Optic 6, given backlit on screen telemetry and other extra features, refer:

Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro 2.4Ghz now in stores.
. Improved with 16 model memory, top rotary knobs changed to rear sliders and more added features
- go to link & expand picture three times for enlarged easy to read details.
. Eclipse 7 Pro Manual - PDF.

Following might assist:
. Hitec Eclipse - All Manuals, Addenda, Quick Setup, CCPM and Additional Programming FAQ

. Hitec Optic 6 & Optic 6 Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, Comparison Charts, Updates & FAQ

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)
Good info. Thank you Alan. that eclipse 7 pro does look nice and has a ton of features. TX, optima 7 RX, tx battery and charger for 239 on ebay.. that may be the 1

EDIT Just clicked on your site. GREAT INFO. much appreciated. Bookmarked!
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:21 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeontheBike View Post
Good info. Thank you Alan. that eclipse 7 pro does look nice and has a ton of features. TX, optima 7 RX, tx battery and charger for 239 on ebay.. that may be the 1

EDIT Just clicked on your site. GREAT INFO. much appreciated. Bookmarked!
And Hitec has a promotion for a free receiver (optima 6) if you buy the Eclipse 7 pro right now. Just fill out the form on the Hitec RCD site showing proof of purchase.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:12 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,150 Posts
I have had an optic6 for years and it has been a reliable radio,am new to the Aurora 9 so cant comment on reliability but fantastic radio.I am a happy HiTec customer if the Eclipse fits your bill give it a shot.I had a Dx6i the antenna broke first then a trim button and then the roller wheel, repaired and sold.No bashing thats my experience.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:47 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,277 Posts
Just bear in mind that if you like bind n fly planes - they won't work with the Hitec solution. You will just need to buy the receiver ready versions instead. Also, there are no inexpensive receivers for the hitec - your choice IS only Hitec which are $50+. It is a fine system...
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
Just bear in mind that if you like bind n fly planes - they won't work with the Hitec solution. You will just need to buy the receiver ready versions instead. Also, there are no inexpensive receivers for the hitec - your choice IS only Hitec which are $50+. It is a fine system...
Minima/Optima 6 receivers are $37 brand new on e-bay.

You can buy the BNF planes, sell the Spek receivers in the classified and buy Minima receivers for LESS than what you sold the Spek reciever for.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:30 PM
Troy ,OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,813 Posts
Not sure where you are seeing these at but I usually purchase them in three's
optima 6- 3pcs =$120 shipped or less
optima 7 - 3pcs=$150 shipped.
Those are less then $50ea

Quote:
grumman5277 is offline Find More Posts by grumman5277
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:02 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumman5277 View Post
Not sure where you are seeing these at but I usually purchase them in three's
optima 6- 3pcs =$120 shipped or less
optima 7 - 3pcs=$150 shipped.
Those are less then $50ea
Very sorry but my point was not to find the latest price and I certainly am not trying to mislead....

I was trying to make sure the original poster was aware of the compatibility issue prior to any Hitec purchase if his goal is to continue with bind n fly vs buying a Spektrum DX6i or 7 or 8. Nothing worse than getting something and finding it does not do what you want or expect.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:31 PM
sacramento. ca
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
And Hitec has a promotion for a free receiver (optima 6) if you buy the Eclipse 7 pro right now. Just fill out the form on the Hitec RCD site showing proof of purchase.
Thank you very much will do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
I have had an optic6 for years and it has been a reliable radio,am new to the Aurora 9 so cant comment on reliability but fantastic radio.I am a happy HiTec customer if the Eclipse fits your bill give it a shot.I had a Dx6i the antenna broke first then a trim button and then the roller wheel, repaired and sold.No bashing thats my experience.
Thanks for your thoughts and experience with the dx6i. I've read a lot of other bad stuff recently and I'm going to stay away from spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Minima/Optima 6 receivers are $37 brand new on e-bay.

You can buy the BNF planes, sell the Spek receivers in the classified and buy Minima receivers for LESS than what you sold the Spek reciever for.
I was seeing all kinds of hitec 2.4 rx's from low weight micro's to high end top notch models on ebay last night when searching I found VERY likeable prices from what I remember good rc equipment costing back when I flew a lot, it used to cost a lot more than it does now. Thanks for the info about selling the other receivers if I were to buy a bnf, I wasn't thinking about that aspect. but I think I am going to stay way from bnf and just do it right.

Quote:

Quote:

I was trying to make sure the original poster was aware of the compatibility issue prior to any Hitec purchase if his goal is to continue with bind n fly vs buying a Spektrum DX6i or 7 or 8. Nothing worse than getting something and finding it does not do what you want or expect.
Thanks for your info and concern about me knowing that Hitec did not work with bnf. I did not know that and I do now. I'm pretty much going to stay away from BNF and PNP unless its genuine quality parts but as a whole unit would probably cost too much so yeah. Pretty much done with those.

The main reason I was looking toward the dx6i is because I wanted a lower priced quality radio, what I thought could be a good radio from all the hype about the spectrum, and to use it for kits with quality gear in them. I'm going to go with the eclipse 7

I didn't mess around with pre-built, fully assembled products back then other than my first trainer .40 arf that I still had to join the wing, glue the tail feathers, install the good radio gear and engine. all my other planes I had after that I built from tiny boxed kits into large real fun, quality planes that lasted.

A couple years back I got sucked into ready to fly and a BNF Heli. the blade sr and blade msr

The MSR is pretty fun but with lots of hard flying it has a thirst for main and tail motors running up it's operating costs. 10 bucks here 12 bucks there 20 bucks here adds up REAL QUICK.

The blade SR was a whole other nasty animal. Seemingly designed to fail. I have a thread over at helifreak that I linked to rcgroups back then. It CAN be decent fun. Not great flying possibly not even good but decent flying heli

After spending too much in crash parts to discover the next factory flaw while watching it become an atack helicopter and having to hit throttle hold and watch it FALL to the ground and break the usual parts along with all my CSI work to decipher what was the failure damage and what was the crash damage, I eventually sold it in flying right every time condition on ebay, far from how it came new in box, NON FLYING.

Then I got sucked into horizon hobbies again with the extra 300 only 2 weeks ago and whammo, same ole crap, different type of flying machine

Damn good marketing those guys at horizon I tell ya, even after all the bs they almost got me AGAIN with the dx6i haha

Glad to have a good forum to get some questions answered. Hitec Eclipse 7 here I come!!! Thanks again guys!
Last edited by MikeontheBike; Mar 10, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:24 AM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,277 Posts
Good luck with the Hitec Eclipse 7. I had the original version and it worked perfectly for 10 years (and still does but is retired).

Scott
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
I recently just purchased the Aurora 9 myself......if the Eclipse 7 is anything like that.....you'll love it!

http://www.hitecrcd.com/offers/fro2012.html

There's the link to the free receiver offer. The nice thing about the offer, they give you 1 free receiver and then also offer another one at 50% off if you so choose.

Steve
dragonsm is offline Find More Posts by dragonsm
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:46 AM
sacramento. ca
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Good luck with the Hitec Eclipse 7. I had the original version and it worked perfectly for 10 years (and still does but is retired).

Scott
Thanks, pulled the trigger and it's ordered as of Sunday night, was busy working all weekend and finally got to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsm View Post
I recently just purchased the Aurora 9 myself......if the Eclipse 7 is anything like that.....you'll love it!

http://www.hitecrcd.com/offers/fro2012.html

There's the link to the free receiver offer. The nice thing about the offer, they give you 1 free receiver and then also offer another one at 50% off if you so choose.

Steve
Thanks for that link, I tried to click on that offer somewhere else and it wouldn't work. It's pretty cool that offer is going on because I was going to buy an optima 6 lite anyways....only drawback is that it says it takes 4-6 weeks for delivery...does it really take that long?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
Not exactly sure on the 4-6 weeks.

I purchased my transmitter with 1 receiver (at least I can play with one plane) and sent off for 2 more through the deal along with the HPP-22 pc interface. Maybe since I bought something it'll be a quicker turnaround...

Dropped all the info in the mail yesterday, so I guess I'll have my answer in 4-6 weeks.

Not sure if I can wait that long so in the interim, I may have to purchase another one to at least give me 2 planes to fly. None the less, I think it is a great promo for someone starting off in either the hobby or converting to 2.4. Anytime you can get extra receivers for cheap or free.....I guess I won't complain....though I might get a little impatient if it actually becomes week 6.
dragonsm is offline Find More Posts by dragonsm
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
526 Posts
Mike.

My buddy just bought an A9 and sent in for the the free receiver officer. It only took a little over a week for him to get his. Of course your mileage may vary.
I have to agree with you about everything you said. I currently own Spektrum equipment and it is all going up for sale probably this weekend. The e-flite stuff is way over priced for what you get.

Currently "building" a Top Flite B-25 and having a grand time with it detailing it out and converting it to electric power (the way to go in my opinion). I used to build all of my aircraft and and really enjoyed it.
If you are interested in helis I would recommend Align. Not because they are the best but because they are a very good heli for the money. Parts are readily available and reasonable. I had a piece of junk Blade 400, sold it and bought a t-rex 450 and it was a world of difference. Now also have a t-rex 600 and love it. Go big! Easy to fly.

Can't wait to get my A9.
JurassicJet is online now Find More Posts by JurassicJet