HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:19 PM
Newb
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2011
154 Posts
Build Log
Zooka's Super Cub Build Log

Thats right, yet another Super Cub build!

My goal is to build a multipurpose supercharged cub that will be a blast to fly and meet/exceed all of my current needs. I dig the idea of having a speedy semi-acrobatic cub that I can also use to haul around my GoPro 2 without feeling loaded down. As some of you may recall from my research thread Ive really enjoyed my stock cub, and even though I know there are planes out there that can meet my needs at a lower cost the thought of building a Super Cub sounds like too much fun to pass up.

Components:

Motor: Brushless Eflite 480 910 KV... I went with the 910 over the 1020 for the additional thrust over speed, not that it likely matters much given how close these two motors are but with the additional weight of the components I plan to carry at times this seems like the best choice.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1500

Motor Mount: Custom RC Mount for eflite 480 BLs. Almost too easy! Love this thing.
http://www.customrcparts.com/index.p...products_id=17

ESC: 40 amp Eflite ESC.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLA1040

Receiver: Spektrum 6210
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR6210

Servos: 6x HS55s
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/ana...ini/hs-55.html

Battery: Probably the Gens Ace 2200mah 11.1v 25c lipos as I have 6x on hand from my 450 helis.
http://www.gensace.com/epages/genspo...-25C-2200-3S1P

Prop: TBD I plan to try several out to find the sweet spot once the rest of the build is complete.

Mods:

1. Standard SC mods such as hobby stick wing supports, gear supports, gear mods w/dubro wheels and rudder wheel, strut mods, divided fuselage compartment and a modified battery box to name the bulk.

2. Flattened wing with ailerons and flaps (planning on going with the large flap and smaller aileron).

3. Full length carbon spar in the wing for added strength and to finalize flattening of the wing.

4. Carbon fiber supports for the tail as an safety measure.

5. More to come.

I hope to get started on the build this weekend. Ill be sure to document my progress with photos and videos and the like. I have learned so much from build logs and hope that someone else can learn by my successes and failures as well. Thanks very much to NFZ and others who gave me some guidance on build ideas.

~Zooka
Manzooka is offline Find More Posts by Manzooka
Last edited by Manzooka; Mar 09, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:40 PM
Newb
Joined Dec 2011
154 Posts
I placed four rubber coated 10 pound weight plates (Ivanko of course... makes a difference even in wing flattening ) on the wing and let it sit like that overnight, then I flipped the wing and did the same thing for another night. Worked out great and there is significantly less dihedral in the wing.

Tomorrow we're going to get rid of that dihedral completely by installing the 6mm carbon fiber spar. I'm still not entirely sure how I'm going to make the cut, which adhesive I'm going to use, or even which side of the wing I'm going to cut, but we'll figure all of that out tomorrow morning. Good times.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:29 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,592 Posts
Looks good.

How about brown Gorilla Glue on the bottom?

I put GG in the slot and then use a popsicle stick to smear it the entire length and then use a wet paper towel to wipe down the carbon and then slip it into the slot. I tape over the entire slot with duct tape to help to contain the foaming action of the GG and then when it's dry, remove the tape and sand down the high spots.

Too much water will cause quite a bit of foaming so not much is needed.

I haven't tried the white Gorilla Glue but that may be an option too.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
I'm doing the same thing and am adding alerons to mine soon. Just took a maiden flight and holy hell vertical climb is awesome. I usedf packing take to take out some of the deh i nthe wing. But will be making it completely flat soon when I do the alerons
on1wheel01 is offline Find More Posts by on1wheel01
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:45 PM
Newb
Joined Dec 2011
154 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Stone.

I've been leaning towards the GG. I used it before to attach two pieces of a broken foam wing and was very impressed with how well it held. My only reservation is the expansion. I worry that after placing the spar the GG will expand over time and slightly dislodge the spar before it sets resulting in a not-so-flat wing. I have regular GG and the white. Other options are a hot glue gun and epoxy.

What's up with wetting the spar? Does it assist with the GG reaction?
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
72 Posts
I plan to do something similar and want to make it a fire service theme. I am looking for strobe LED kits since lights are very important in the fire service! I found a website called LiGlow that has some packages and think they could make me exactly what I need, but they do not respond to my emails. Annoying!

I am either going to have a local vehicle graphic business do the art work on it or try to find graphics and print them on stickers myself. I want black and gold stripes and don't think the gold will turn out good unless I have them made from gold vinyl which is why I may have them do it. I have done business with them before so am sure when i bring them a plane they will do it cheap just because they will think it is cool!
ofd23 is offline Find More Posts by ofd23
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:53 PM
Newb
Joined Dec 2011
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by on1wheel01 View Post
I'm doing the same thing and am adding alerons to mine soon. Just took a maiden flight and holy hell vertical climb is awesome. I usedf packing take to take out some of the deh i nthe wing. But will be making it completely flat soon when I do the alerons
Nice man! Consider the large flap/small aileron mod when you get around to working on this one. I've seen some vids of that mod in action and I was very impressed. I don't know much about aerodynamics but you clearly don't need much in the way of ailerons to achieve amazing performance on the cub. Large flaps, on the other hand, do seem make a big difference.

Hopefully I'll have my cub maidened in a week or two and can offer more feedback on the matter.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
ManZ - I used a hairdryer, both sides - laid flat with weight, did again and again until it was flat. I did not use a CF rod and my wing is still flat nearly a year later! Ailerons finish the transformation!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:34 PM
Newb
Joined Dec 2011
154 Posts
Thanks for the info, Don. I did try my wife's hair dryer for several minutes but it didn't seem to be doing much. Maybe I just need to give it a little more time. I still plan to use the spar because I've heard horror stories of cub wings snapping on takeoff and dives with the force of brushless 480's, but if I can get the wing flat prior to cutting I'll feel better about the whole thing.

Should be an exciting day tomorrow! Most of my parts have arrived so I should be able to get a lot of work done if I make it a priority. I'm still waiting on two servos and some y-harnesses and extensions. Other than that we're good to go.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I kept the struts.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:04 PM
Newb
Joined Dec 2011
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
I kept the struts.
Don
I'd like to keep struts as well, but I don't like the stock struts and plan to do some mods to make it work in my favor. I'd like to avoid fishing line as well, so I'm thinking either a mod utilizing the stock struts or some CF struts.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:45 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,592 Posts
Moisture helps kick off the GG though excessive water causes a lot of foaming! Also, a little bit of GG goes a long way.

Wiping down the spar with a damp towel will only spread a bit of water down the entire length and will help glue setup. Just the hint of moisture (not dripping wet!) will be enough.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Feb 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
Moisture helps kick off the GG though excessive water causes a lot of foaming! Also, a little bit of GG goes a long way.

Wiping down the spar with a damp towel will only spread a bit of water down the entire length and will help glue setup. Just the hint of moisture (not dripping wet!) will be enough.

-Mike
How do you keep the GG from foaming out of the cut? Would it be easier to use Epoxy? I use GG alot for those little mishaps, but not sure this would be a good fit for it.
ofd23 is offline Find More Posts by ofd23
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:14 AM
Newb
Joined Dec 2011
154 Posts
All right, time to get to work!

I decided to use a soldering iron to carve out a channel in the foam by cutting a spare tip to the proper length and using a metal ruler as a guide. Credit to sdparkflyers.com and this vid.

Cutting a groove with a Soldering iron. (3 min 10 sec)

I used a speed square and a pen to get a perfect line across the wing 1.5 inches from the leading edge. I used my Proxon rotary tool to cut a soldering iron tip to 5mm in length - the width of my CF spar. I thought I was going to have to make two passes with the hot iron to achieve the proper channel width because my spar is 5mm wide and the soldering tip is 3mm wide, but the 3mm tip ended up making a perfect 5mm channel! I'm glad I didn't try using a thicker tip as the channel would have been way too wide.

The spar is sitting flush with the underside of the wing so I'm ready to glue this sucker in there. I've decided against the gorilla glue due to the unpredictability of expansion, so instead I'm going to coat the spar with a bit of epoxy and let it set. When the rest of the wing work is complete I plan to cover the spar channel with a strip of monokote. I'll report back shortly!

Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:16 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
Great start Manzooka. Looks a lot like the way I did mine.

Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar