HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:55 PM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
847 Posts
Careful!
Warning! rabbit Flight Controller uses stolen code from MultiWii

Hi,
a Flight Controller by the tradename 'Rabbit' is being sold at ebay (by an individual going by the name 'vocanlo') and at Goodluckbuy. This product is being sold bundled with onboard firmware (in binary form only) which contains stolen code from the GPL MultiWii project. In this forum is a thread dedicated to this product titled Flight Controller for Quadcopter Multicopter with Fixed Hight Direction Care Free CF here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564594.

One RCG user has by disassembly proven the code ripoff (read more about it here http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewto...8&t=1142#p8052)

I am one of the many developers of the original MultiWii project and as such am entitled to pursue the violation of the GPL. The vendors have been contacted and requested to honour the GPL by
  • giving credit to the MultiWii roots of the software
  • providing access to the software changes they have made
Maybe important to note: no monetary claims were made.

Both parties (ebay seller and goodluckbuy) have failed to comply to this rightful request. This is bad for you under at least two aspects:

1. why rabbit policy is bad from a user's perspective
  • if you own a 'rabbit', you are dependent on some unknown developers for updating the software. If for whatever reason they stop support, you are left with a product which is effective dead.
  • even if you are lucky enough to catch a working software version from the vendors, you will always have to use outdated software . With the speed of current development in Multi Rotors, you do not want this. In contrast, MultiWii is a very active project.
  • other Flight Controllers have no way to participate in the efforts the unknown developers have put into their work (whatever that was).

2. why rabbit policy is bad from a developer's perspective
  • entire code of the MultiWii project is published under the GPL. This is a deliberate decision of the developers and gives users and developers certain rights. It does not mean to give up all rights. What rabbit has done is a clear violation of the rights of all MultiWii developers.
  • the development of MultiWii can not participate in the possible efforts and gains of the rabbit developers. They have chosen to turn this into a one way street for knowledge.

What is the bottom line?
At the moment we developers have decided to not open a legal case against this gang of vendors and unknown developers. Instead I ask you to

'Do not buy Rabbit Flight Controller'. Choose an honorable alternative instead; there are many to choose from.

Thanks, Hamburger
--------------------------------------------
Mar. 11,2012 Update: to spare interested parties the burden of sifting through boring comments full of ignorance and insults, I have included here my personal summary of the last days

interesting times we live in.

Few days ago I brought to your attention that the producers of the Rabbit product use code they have stolen from the MultiWii project and I did explain some of the negative implications this has for you as a Rabbit customer, the MultiWii project and the general progress with FLight Controllers in this hobby.

A load of responses have been posted and recently the niveau has gone to ground zero. So this may be a good point to sum it all up.

It could have been easy. Ethics and morale put aside, you could have acknowledged the facts I presented, thought about the implications this had for you & your hobby and thought about how the situation could be turned into a joint activity to better your situation as Rabbit customers. (no idea what you could do? Like joining forces and contacting the producers and retailers. Why not demand lower prices, because developers do only copy and paste mostly)

For a review it is easiest to split the responses into 3 groups

A - supporters
yes, some of you understand the issue of theft of intellectual property, the bad effects it has and implications for their hobby and its progress. You made some excellent statements and this hobby is better for you being here. You know who you are and I thank you.

B - the silent majority (?)
you did not (want to) get involved and comment on the matter for your own reasons. I will not start to speculate on your reasons. I feel nothing for you and I have nothing to say to you.

C - the bad and the ugly
you spent a lot of effort on
  • bashing me for disturbing the 'clean' hobby world.
    Try harder, the Rabbit thefts had brought the bad into your hobby long before. Best to learn the difference between bearer of bad news and the bad news.
  • expressing complete ignorance on the concepts of open source and open source under a licence (GPL or other)
  • displaying a broad range of misinterpretation of what GPL implies ( usually in combination with a mixup wrt. monetary limitations and implications)
  • lots of darwinism (involving chinese ethics, capitalism, free world, free enterprise, etc.) to
  • insulting me (and others) and calling me names
We are not fellow hobbyists, we merely are by chance in the same hobby, if at all. I have no sympathy for you.
--------------------------------------------
May 22, 2012 Update: we have a second confirmed verification of the code copy theft by the grabbit rabbit through an independent source. The author of the review on fpvcentral.net verified the GPS code in rabbit to be of origin MultiWii.
Post with link to review here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1081
hamburger is online now Find More Posts by hamburger
Last edited by hamburger; May 22, 2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: second update
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:01 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Have anyone been able to obtain a copy of the source code?
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Aug 2007
414 Posts
i never considered a rabbit controller because i never saw a real advantage over a good multiwii board. thank you hamburger. my favorite food
SGsoar is offline Find More Posts by SGsoar
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:34 PM
Spain, CN
Joined Dec 2011
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburger View Post

1. why rabbit policy is bad from a user's perspective
  • if you own a 'rabbit', you are dependent on some unknown developers for updating the software. If for whatever reason they stop support, you are left with a product which is effective dead.
  • even if you are lucky enough to catch a working software version from the vendors, you will always have to use outdated software . With the speed of current development in Multi Rotors, you do not want this. In contrast, MultiWii is a very active project.
  • other Flight Controllers have no way to participate in the efforts the unknown developers have put into their work (whatever that was).
Here are my answers as a very happy user of this board. In no way Iīm involved with the rabbitīs team or I know anybody that has participated in itīs development, clear?

1 As a freeman I choose who I trust in. Itīs my right not anybodies decision.

2 Actually as a Rabbit user Iīm getting updates quickly and they work fine, everything OK thanks.

3 Is it a crime to be Unknown?Donīt you think maybe you are unknown to the rabbit team?

Stolen or not you should appreciate a good work, it should be good as yourself are porting multiwii to this same "STOLEN" board.

Mr Hamburger,,,,please keep the bad things of our lives outside of this beautyfull hobby. I think we all probably have too many problems in our worlds and would like RCG to keep being what it is, a nice quiet and interesting forum. Not a BATTLEFIELD.

LIVE AND LET LIVE
apejovic is offline Find More Posts by apejovic
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apejovic View Post

Stolen or not you should appreciate a good work, it should be good as yourself are porting multiwii to this same "STOLEN" board.
Obvious from my observation point, there is something wrong and it would be nice if things were out in the open.

Just read a response from the guy that is selling these boards on eBay that had promised to release the code, but now has gone back on that promise.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:48 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
For starters you don't "steal" GPL source code like the melodramatic OP claims. GPL means open source.

You are required under the GPL to make your source code available, so someone that can speak their language, should explain that to the Rabbit devs, and request the source code.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Last edited by Erknie; Mar 08, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Jan 2012
404 Posts
AHHHHHHHHHH I guess someone is not making enough money since the rabbit came out and now they want to F it up for everyone else.

Prove to people that code is stolen then I even might consider buying a diferent board that operates so good and cheap, also with GPS comin that wont cost $400.00.

Dont point any fingers till you can prove that Rabbit team stole the code.
vewdew is offline Find More Posts by vewdew
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
404 Posts
Till then if everything goes bad in your life you can always flip them Burgers.
vewdew is offline Find More Posts by vewdew
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Hahaha... Evolution. Get with the program. Make multiwii better than compare. Rabbit whoops circles around multiwii....
Vyas is offline Find More Posts by Vyas
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Keep it in America BRO. Ha!
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, IL, Park Ridge
Joined Apr 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apejovic View Post
LIVE AND LET LIVE
What about some old fashion honor - not even mention Ten Commandments.
Have balls to refuse stolen.
Tom
Tifani is offline Find More Posts by Tifani
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:29 PM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
613 Posts
nevermind...
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Last edited by Phalanx-0; Mar 10, 2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: chastised for speaking my mind
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
I would suggest editing for the word, moron.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:34 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,824 Posts
Subscribed...!
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
Subscribed...!
^^Oh yea...this will be a good one

I'm with you hamburger, thank you to you and Alex for literally getting multicopters off the ground. I have to say some of the members here have missed the point and most of the comments pro rabbit thus far have been so irrational that it's comical.

Good luck
http://www.gnu.org/
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum