HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:48 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
Discussion
EagleEyes Station support for telemetry out over serial TTL in the expansion port?

Hi,

Is is possible and is so could you guys implement telemetry out over serial TTL using the expansion port of the EagleEyes station?

This could bring a lot of possibilities including been possible to use other OS other than windows to get and collect data.
As well allow to link to portable devices like mobile phones to collect and monitor this telemetry data.

Having a serial TTL ouput it would for example be possible to use a Bluetooth dongle and stream the data to a mobile phone.

I've done a similar application for android to use with multicopters and I'd gladly would do and share one to use with the Eagleeyes station. =)
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi IceWind!

We're in the process of rowing our ducks here wrt telemetry output of the EE to devices other than windows. There are several issues, two of which are that the data coming out of the EE is compressed, with raw sensor readings, and also there's no interconnect to non-USB-host devices, i.e. nearly all mobile phones.

We are working on a hardware/software project to solve both of these, which I'm pretty excited about. I'll be saying more about it once we prove it will actually work.

I'm really intrigued about your android app. That's another big piece of the puzzle.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:00 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
Hi Bill,

Those are great news. I'm a Linux and Mac user and I haven't used my ET gear fully due to that.
At home I have a VM with windows but I can't use any telemetry at the field for FPV as I have no portable device with windows.
(The new Android version/devices already support USB-Host, I already have the cables to test but I haven't done so. But this could ease the dev process.)

Still as long as there is a feed of serial data it would be easy to get it and work with it in whatever device/platform.
Even for old Java based devices (JSE-82 based) can handle it over Bluetooth.
Current mobile devices should be able to decompress and handle such data easily as the processing power is quite good and the trend is for them to have even more power.

Btw, this is he Android APP I made: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428641
I'm getting the data using SPP over Bluetooth, all it requires in the Flight-controller side is a simple and cheap Bluetooth
dongle.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind