HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2001, 10:52 PM
Joined Jul 2001
40 Posts
Need reciever help bad

Hello,
My new reciever just came in, a FMA direct extreme 5. Seems to be a very fine piece of work. It is setup for futaba gear. However, I have a newly purchased speed controller, a GFS micro speed controller from Sirius, that uses a JR plug for the reciever. Being naive as i was, i plugged the JR plug, assuming it had been futaba since everything else i ordered was. I'm not sure it was this, or something else, but my seems not to be working. It was working somewhat, then it just stopped. I believe something is leaking out of the top of the reciever too. So i question rather or not it was this error of placing the wrong plug in, or something else? Also, is there a way where i can convert my JR plug to a futaba or hitec setup? I'm really anxious to get all of this building crap over with so i can start flying. Please help me.
Thanks,
Paul
captainjulio is offline Find More Posts by captainjulio
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2001, 01:22 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,869 Posts
Can't tell you what happened; but jr & futaba plug wiring are the same and isn't the problem.
DavidN
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Nov 03, 2001, 03:43 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,147 Posts
captainjulio, you could have reversed polarity, which would be bad for the receiver since the BEC system in the speed controller feeds it. Futaba plugs have a little locator to prevent this, but the JR plugs can be plugged in reversed. When used on a JR receiver, this is prevented by the chamfered corners on one side of the plug. Compare the colors of the wires, the brown wire on thr JR should be on the same side as the black wire on the Futaba.

Max.
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Nov 03, 2001, 04:38 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,795 Posts
captainjulio,

David N is right, you can't hurt the receiver by plugging the speed control in "backwards" it will either work or not since the center wire is positive. Make sure the color code follows that of your servos and it will work in your receiver. If you let the smoke out of your receiver, something else is probably wrong. You do have the ESC plugged into your throttle channel and not the "battery" port don't you?

Azarr
www.azarr.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Nov 03, 2001, 09:22 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,866 Posts
Futaba transmitters always need the throttle channel reversing for use with speed controllers. Some speed controls won't start up if you switch everything on with the Tx stick at full throttle. Also, make sure any ATV and trim adjustment on throttle are set as wide as possible. Once it works, you can trim these back to suit your needs.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Nov 03, 2001, 09:39 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I've run into the throttle reverse situation with Wattage ESCs.. not something you expect, but change the polarity on the throttle and see what happens.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Nov 03, 2001, 11:07 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,147 Posts
OK, may be reversing the JR plug does not hurt the receiver, but Captainjulio sez " nothing works", I read that as neither ESC nor servo's. Reversed throttle or not, plugged into the battery port or not, the receiver and the servos should work OK!( if you plug the ESC in the right way around).
Just trying to separate one issue from the other,

Max.
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Nov 03, 2001, 01:21 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
Try checking the Rx on a standard Rx battery instead of the ESC. Ie, leave the ESC disconnected, but connect the other servos.

If that works, then the Rx is not damaged. If this does not work, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.

I have a GWS JR ESC for a Futaba system. I was WARNED NOT TO PLUG IT IN BACKWARDS. But the way the connectors are wired, I really don't see a problem. BUT THERE MAY BE ONE. I DON"T PLAN TO INTENTIONALLY TRY IT JUST TO FIND OUT.

Robbie

Retired Sr EE
Rotten Robbie is online now Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie