HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,487 Posts
Fly-In
Fort Worth Thunderbirds Summer Float fly: August 4, 2012, Lake Worth, TX

I want to extend a special invitation to any and all folks with float planes, seaplanes or any model that flys off water to come to the Fort Worth Thunderbirds Summer Float Fly on August 4. The site is Camp Joy Park on Lake Worth and I will be adding a map and GPS coordinates to this post in the near future. The site is about 10 minutes east of Loop 820 in west Fort Worth, on the northwest shore of Lake Worth.

Event hours are 9 till until it gets too hot to have much fun..... Even in the heat of August, we usually fly until at least 1-2PM. Lots of great shade in the park, right next to the water.

Entry Fee is $20.00 and it includes lunch for the pilot. There will be a raffle!

This event is open to all types of power, be it gas, glow or electric.

There will be special awards for various type of seaplane models: Best Military Seaplane, Best Civilian Seaplane and Best Sport Seaplane Model. We are planning on dual awards for both gas/glow models and for electric models, so bring both if you have them!

We are also considering a Technical Achievment award for innovative work in seaplane design, contruction or operation. This award will be open to all types of power.

Retrieval boats will be available for those occasional models that need a retrieve.

Will post links to some of the past events to show some of the great seaplane action that we have at this event. The site is superb!

Please, put this on your calender for August 4, 2012! Email me with any questions at tomblakeney28682@yahoo.com.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Keep an eye out for updates!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,487 Posts
Our great float fly is just 16 days away! I hope you DFW area float flyers have it circled on your calender. This event is always a blast. Great site, great people.

Trying to get a couple of new models test flown before the event.

Bringing my 2m Icon A-5, my 1.09 meter Icon A-5, hopefully my new Dynam PBY, my Great Planes Grumman Widgeon and my Seawind, plus a Eflite Beaver that Richard Ng and I are partners in.

With me being the CD, will not likely be able to fly them all, but a guy can dream!

What are YOU bringing?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:00 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,487 Posts
Our Summer float fly is just one week away...next Saturday.

Now, I KNOW there have to be some of the RCG folks coming to this...let's hear from you!

I am planning on being at Camp Joy Park around 7:30-8AM Saturday.

Some of us traditionally meet at Ginger Browns Restaurant at 6312 Jacksboro Highway in Lake Worth (in the shopping center) at 6:30 AM for breakfast before the event. All are welcome.

See you at the lake!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:27 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,487 Posts
For most folks heading to the float fly, the best basic directions are to exit West Loop 820 at Jacksboro Highway/199 and head west to Confederate Park Road. Left on Confederate Park Road, then left on Lakeridge. Lakeridge dead ends into the lake perimeter road right at the parking lot we use for the event.

Hope to see you there tomorrow!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:06 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,918 Posts
Many pictures added to the main thread in Electric Flight Events here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610248
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N