HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:29 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescrn View Post
Just ordered a new frame for mine... broke another arm at the usual weak point (fairly minor indoor crash onto carpet this time), decided to do a rebuild on a new frame rather than more glue...

Shame they don't do a v2 of this frame with strengthened arms around the weak point at the motor wire holes, it's a nice straightforward build with neat wiring, and I've got mine flying quite nicely - but it's a bit fragile and there's no way to replace a single arm...

Also going to swap out my KK2 for a MultiWii board. I've had problems with the KK2 rebooting when the battery voltage dropped a bit (but before the loss of motor power becomes noticable). Yeah, I should have had the low-voltage alarm connected, but my Crius MultiWii board (powered by the same model of ESC and also on 2S) keeps running even when the battery is too low to take off.

(Anyone else seen/solved that issue with a KK2, I've not been through the entire massive KK2 thread yet, but didn't notice any mention of anybody else having the same problem in the bits that I did read. Or maybe they're just being more careful about not running their battery too low...)
I had some issue with KK2 on my micro quad ... but on MultiWii as I'm using now ... I had my micro quad landing automatically, due to low power ... my battery was less then 3.3V ... my fault ... I was testing the GPS and GPS-Hold ... and I spend more time then normal ... still ... with MultiWii it automatically slow down and land ... no idea how it detect the situation, since there is no PIN assigned on my board for sense the 2S Lipo

Anyhow ... multiwii does not crash because of low power ... as well, my stock esc don't show to have any sensible voltage cut of (that is what I should expect) ... and I don't have any board for configure these ESC nor I did try to configure them ..

e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:32 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhesto View Post
Not sure where the problem with my quad is I bought a pre-build model (my mistake in ordering, needed a kit but this is off topic). So everything was included: 1811 2900kv motors, plush 6A ESC, propellers. I also bought Rhino 610mAh 2S lipos (maybe same as yours), but I got only about 2 min flying with them. That's why I got these 1300mAh lipo (weight 74g) and yes, it's doubles the time, but it is still 4min What else I've done until now:
  • calibrated ESCs before putting the props
  • left only signal lines on M2-M4 motors (power and ground only on M1 for the board)
So what else can I do? I ordered wattmeter and will try to measure how much power are using the motors, but until it come, what else can I try?

I'm sure I'm a little too precariousness with the LV alarm, but I think ESC are set with lipo type battery by default. So when I first tried, when the voltage went low, the quad just flip upside down! I think because KK2.0 just cut the power to the motors. Maybe need BEC programming card too, so I can reprogramm the ESCs...

Which type of alarm do you use ?

Once straight from the lipo balancing plug, with own bipper ?
Or you use KK2 alarm ?

Anyhow ... did you check your battery capacity after 2min flight ?

It is possible that you have a bad power connection and this cause a high voltage drop ... and a false LV alarm.

I think it is hard that your quad consume more then mine ... same esc, same motor and same propellers ... so .. you should get easy 5min with a 610mAh battery

Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:11 AM
Stoyan Zhekov
Japan, Osaka Prefecture, Osaka
Joined Dec 2012
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Which type of alarm do you use ?
Anyhow ... did you check your battery capacity after 2min flight ?
I was using external alarm, but now I switched to the KK2.0 internal one (soldered AREF and GND wires). Results before and now are similar - 3-4min flight with 1000,1300mAh lipos. I checked both batteries after the flights - 3.78V per cell. So during the load it was maybe around 3.5V and the alarm was not bogus. Just what sucks so much power...
zhesto is offline Find More Posts by zhesto
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:25 AM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
Sounds to me you have one or more than one of the esc's still set to lipo. I'm new to all of this, but I didnt think the board would cut anything off, only the esc's. Checking lipos not under a load will not be very accurate either. when you land and go to safe mode, what does the voltage readout say on the lcd?
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:31 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,783 Posts
Quote:
I was using external alarm, but now I switched to the KK2.0 internal one (soldered AREF and GND wires). Results before and now are similar - 3-4min flight with 1000,1300mAh lipos. I checked both batteries after the flights - 3.78V per cell. So during the load it was maybe around 3.5V and the alarm was not bogus. Just what sucks so much power...
At 3.78V left, you still have inside over 30% of capacity in the Lipo.

Anyhow, yes, what you report is a quite high consumption even assuming you have 30% battery left
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:35 AM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Brugge
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Yup check and double check the settings on every Esc. You need to program them for Nimh batteries.

I get 9 minutes of flight time with a 3s 1000 lipo. Had the same issue before reprogramming the esc's
stevo0476 is offline Find More Posts by stevo0476
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:07 AM
Stoyan Zhekov
Joined Dec 2012
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo0476 View Post
I get 9 minutes of flight time with a 3s 1000 lipo. Had the same issue before reprogramming the esc's
What the good/preferred ESC seetings looks like?
  • Brake: Off <- ?
  • Battery type: NiMh
  • CutOff type: Soft Cut
  • CutOff Voltage: Low <- ?
  • Start Mode: Normal
Something else - timing mode? ...?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:11 AM
Stoyan Zhekov
Joined Dec 2012
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
when you land and go to safe mode, what does the voltage readout say on the lcd?
I checked this too. It was 7.4. And I'm sure it was around 7V (KK2.0 misc setting is 70) under the load, that's why alarm started.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:30 AM
Joined Jul 2008
204 Posts
Quote:
I have this problem too. My understanding is that it is not about KK2.0 board, you just need to set your ESCs battery type to NiCd and cutoff option to soft. For LiPo batteries, to prevent damage, the board just cutting the power immediately, but for NiCd it will gracefully degrade. But I'm just a newbie so, maybe somebody with more experience can tell us more.
I'm running SimonK-flashed ESCs (10A Turnigy), and that firmware removes the programmability, doesn't it, so I don't think there's any ESC settings left to get wrong, are there?

(If it was the ESC cutoff, would that just cut the power to the motors, or also the BEC power to the KK2? It's not just the motors cutting off, if I hold the quad whilst the battery is low, and quickly go from min to max throttle, I can see the LCD going blank as it resets)

Anyway, I'm going to put a cheap HK MultiWii board on it when I rebuild it, and see how that goes.
bluescrn is offline Find More Posts by bluescrn
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:55 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,783 Posts
Quote:
I'm running SimonK-flashed ESCs (10A Turnigy), and that firmware removes the programmability, doesn't it, so I don't think there's any ESC settings left to get wrong, are there?

(If it was the ESC cutoff, would that just cut the power to the motors, or also the BEC power to the KK2? It's not just the motors cutting off, if I hold the quad whilst the battery is low, and quickly go from min to max throttle, I can see the LCD going blank as it resets)

Anyway, I'm going to put a cheap HK MultiWii board on it when I rebuild it, and see how that goes.
Ok ... so you don't use stock PNP version ...

Your ESC are looking monster big .. 16g vs 6g ... Turnigi 10A vs Plush 6A

Only for this you carry 40g of dead weight in your quad.

Can I ask you the weight of your quad ?

BTW ... SimonK firmware has no VC, you can only configure end points, and that's it ... anyhow ... unless you re-flash the ESC, how can you know what HobbyKing place in the firmware ? I think they may use a custome chinese hacked firmware version ... not original SimonK FW
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Ok ... so you don't use stock PNP version ...
Your ESC are looking monster big .. 16g vs 6g ... Turnigi 10A vs Plush 6A

Only for this you carry 40g of dead weight in your quad.

Can I ask you the weight of your quad ?
Just double-checked and they weren't the 10A Turnigy Plush, they're the 10A HK blue ones (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_1A_UBEC.html). Forgot which they were as I'd stripped the heatshrink off to flash them, and it's a while since I first built it...

But anywhay, there's really not too much difference in the weight between 6A and 10A ESCs, especially once the wires have been trimmed to fit the PCB, and the heatshrink has been stripped to reflash it...

My build weighs:

174g without battery.
224g with an 800mAh 2S.

If that seems a bit overweight, it's mostly down to cables+connectors, zip ties, and a Walkera RX601, which isn't the tiniest of recievers.
bluescrn is offline Find More Posts by bluescrn
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:50 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,783 Posts
Quote:
Just double-checked and they weren't the 10A Turnigy Plush, they're the 10A HK blue ones (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_1A_UBEC.html). Forgot which they were as I'd stripped the heatshrink off to flash them, and it's a while since I first built it...

But anywhay, there's really not too much difference in the weight between 6A and 10A ESCs, especially once the wires have been trimmed to fit the PCB, and the heatshrink has been stripped to reflash it...

My build weighs:

174g without battery.
224g with an 800mAh 2S.

If that seems a bit overweight, it's mostly down to cables+connectors, zip ties, and a Walkera RX601, which isn't the tiniest of recievers.
Ok ... weight is not much different then mine ... 172g with GPS and Led on.

Maybe you ESC sucks ... don't know ... but if you put on the SimonK FW it should be fine.

Do you use stock propellers ?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:51 AM
Stoyan Zhekov
Joined Dec 2012
152 Posts
Just a small update: based on previous post advice in this thread I replaced my JST connector with Deans. This gave me almost a minute more flight time! I'm not a 100% sure if the connector type is the main reason or just resoldering, but I was so excited, that I broke one wing on the well known place (see the picture below).
This frame is so fragile - a small fall from about 50cm and wing is broken The canopy too...
So after repairing, my bird is in the air again Maybe my next step will be ESC reprogramming.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:06 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
Hi ...on the kk2 v2 board I assume I have to calibrate each esc separately...?
If I have to calibrate via throttle can I disconnect each esc from the board and plug it into the throttle port of the rx and a the calib my throttle?
(Anyway I can do all 4 together??)

Does anyone have a link for the plush 6a esc so I can configure them at the same time?
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:49 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
Hi ...on the kk2 v2 board I assume I have to calibrate each esc separately...?
If I have to calibrate via throttle can I disconnect each esc from the board and plug it into the throttle port of the rx and a the calib my throttle?
(Anyway I can do all 4 together??)

Does anyone have a link for the plush 6a esc so I can configure them at the same time?
Scratch that ..rtfm ... Properly
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow