SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:55 PM
USA, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2001
1,220 Posts
Ricky,

Is there any chance the pitch of your props doesn't match? The manufacturing process for these can't be all that accurate and then they live in bags and piles. If you have others you could at least try switching some out.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgode View Post
I hate you...

I still can't get mine going. I got a new motor and new esc but now I'm 99% mine is vibes... I rotated the landing gear so that I could use the foam standoffs in the corners. And I was able to get about 1 minute flights until the right front motor this time would seem to cut out. Then after that it was just wobbly.

I've balanced the props and can still feel vibes and at certain RPMs it looks like the prop is fluttering (kinda like poor tracking in a heli)

If I hold the little quad I can feel vibes and the motors cut in and out, but if i grip the quad tightly, the motors get in sync and sound really good.

I noticed that one of my props had a pretty good nick in it, so I changed it out with a brand new balanced one... Now it is worse and I can't even get it off the ground...

This is killing me.

Ricky
dang is online now Find More Posts by dang
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:09 PM
Get Airborne
Sweden, Skåne County, Hofterup
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
After flying 10 battery's I really like the Turnigy bird.

Its extremely nice that P and I gain is adjustable from the board.

Compared to LB V1, Hubsan X4 and other toy micro quads that I have experience from its a big and heavy quad. Also weary fast.

Total weight inclusive 950mAh LiPo is 210 gram.

I am now (learning) experimenting with different values for Roll/pitch-Yaw-Self level and Height damping.

Motor wires passing through motor arm hole was glued, for minimizing vibration.

Vibration level is low, cant feel any and no jelly effect when mounting video camera occurs.

I dont think the frame will survive a hard landing. If the frame breaks I will try Bambucopter 20 or 25 frame.

When adapter arrives I will try to update from 1.2 to 1.4 or 1.5 firmware version.
Stenkryparen is online now Find More Posts by Stenkryparen
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:01 PM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
After a lot of flight testing my Turnigy micro, KK2 ver:1.2 behave well with this settings (not tested in hard wind yet).

Roll/Pitch:
P=105 limit=100
I=25 limit=20

YAW:
P=40, limit 20
I=20 limit=15

Self Level:
Gain 40, limit=20

Height dampening:
Gain=20, limit 10

Self level ACC:
Pitch +90
Roll -55

When Self level is enabled, its a nice indoor flyer or a good camera carrier outside.
Last edited by Stenkryparen; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:16 AM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
I Am getting accustom to the bigger size and heavier weight and I love this quad.

Typical flying time when "slow flying" is 7:30 - 8:00 minutes.

Next steps is to:
-Balance the propelers
-Reinforce the end of motorarms
-Update to firmware 1.4

How big is the difference between 1.2 and 1.4/1.5 firmware?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:35 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenkryparen View Post
I Am getting accustom to the bigger size and heavier weight and I love this quad.

Typical flying time when "slow flying" is 7:30 - 8:00 minutes.

Next steps is to:
-Balance the propelers
-Reinforce the end of motorarms
-Update to firmware 1.4

How big is the difference between 1.2 and 1.4/1.5 firmware?
Let us know how you balance the propeller on this beast

The KK 1.5 firmware should have a much better autolevel function

Mine fly perfectly also without balanced propeller ... but the video from an on board camera sucks

My propeller are glued on the shaft ... so ... I can only balance them dynamically ... but sound like a pain in the a§§

e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:51 PM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
"Balance the propeller on this beast" have to wait.

When flying outside the bird lost radio contact, motors was running but I was not able to give any command. Hit a tree 8 meters above ground, then crashed on the cycle shed roof.

Don't now why contact was lost, but it was wet in the air (mist) and KK2 board was weary wet when entering garage. It seems like the propellers dehumidifi and the KK2 collect it.

Lesson learned is to use canopy that protects KK2.

One motor arm broken at 3 places:
-Where it connect to the distributor circle board.
-In the middle.
-Where the motor wires pass the board.

Board protect cage in small pieces.
Two propellers broken.

A lot of glue is needed!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:27 PM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
New frame ordered, Crab 20, small, and crash resistant. Then I can re use, motors, ESC and KK2.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:11 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,993 Posts
Quote:
"Balance the propeller on this beast" have to wait.

When flying outside the bird lost radio contact, motors was running but I was not able to give any command. Hit a tree 8 meters above ground, then crashed on the cycle shed roof.

Don't now why contact was lost, but it was wet in the air (mist) and KK2 board was weary wet when entering garage. It seems like the propellers dehumidifi and the KK2 collect it.

Lesson learned is to use canopy that protects KK2.

One motor arm broken at 3 places:
-Where it connect to the distributor circle board.
-In the middle.
-Where the motor wires pass the board.

Board protect cage in small pieces.
Two propellers broken.

A lot of glue is needed!
Sorry ... I see you have not been as lucky I was:

Turnigy Integrated PCB Micro-Quad with KK2 board - The saturated Crash (1 min 11 sec)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:25 PM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Sorry ... I see you have not been as lucky I was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faIbh4vnuEg
What happened, and was it possible to repair?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:58 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,993 Posts
Quote:
What happened, and was it possible to repair?
No damage at all

It was KK 2.0 firmaware 1.0 ... and a bug on the firmware

As you may see on a video I did land on a tree ... no damage ... luckyly the quad was bipping so I manage to find it

Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:24 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Dec 2005
888 Posts
FINALLY!!!! SUCCESS!!!!!!

Guess what it was... The Stupid GEMFAN Propellers... Yes I said it, or it might be the STUPID Prop Adapter Collett...

I heard bad things about the HK press fit props, so I thought I would just go with the GEMFAN ones. I guess the prop adapter wasn't perfectly centered or something, because it would not fly at all with them.

So I balanced the HK props that I had ordered press fit them on and noticeably much quieter and no vibes at all while I was holding it in my hand and a perfect flight!

One down, hopefully hundreds more to come!

Ricky
rickgode is offline Find More Posts by rickgode
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:32 AM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgode View Post
FINALLY!!!! SUCCESS!!!!!!

Guess what it was... The Stupid GEMFAN Propellers... Yes I said it, or it might be the STUPID Prop Adapter Collett...

I heard bad things about the HK press fit props, so I thought I would just go with the GEMFAN ones. I guess the prop adapter wasn't perfectly centered or something, because it would not fly at all with them.

So I balanced the HK props that I had ordered press fit them on and noticeably much quieter and no vibes at all while I was holding it in my hand and a perfect flight!

One down, hopefully hundreds more to come!Ricky
Congratulation to getting airborne!!

I think the HK props is rely good, and the press fitting is OK, no extra weight from prop adapters.

After some gluing my bird is also in the sky again.

You have to be careful when landing, the frame don't like much stress.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:13 PM
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
I just finish building mine but im worry about the weight .. so far its 163 Gram ( frame,motor,FC,ESC and RX) missing only the prop,lipo and the battery plug ( xt60).

I add a bracket made with the frame left over on each arm where the motor wire go into the arm glue with epoxy, kind of double the thickness at this spot , and add some more epoxy on each side of the H beam.
This probably add more weight but I dont know how much.. Frame + motor is 111 Gram

Im planing to run a gen ace 2S 25C 1000 that weight 70 gram, that will put the quad in the 230 gram range ... is that too much ?

there not alot of stuff to remove to save weight.. maybe shorten the esc wire and remove the 3 red one I dont use... maybe using 2 screw to hold the motor instead of 4.

Also if someone can post his multiwii 2.1 setting to help me get started that will be nice

My parts list :

1811 2900kv
multistar 10A esc
Crius AIO Pro FC ( runing multiwii )
Flysky 6 Ch rx with PPM Sum ( only one wire needed)
gen ace 2S 1000 or zippy compact 1000 ( still in the mail)
Galessin is offline Find More Posts by Galessin
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:51 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Dec 2005
888 Posts
My Turnigy Micro Quad

I'm glad I was able to get a couple more hovers in tonight. I became so used to it losing control because of the vibes, I can't believe how stable it is. I've attached several pics on how I put mine together. I bought everything separate and was able to paint my frame.

I also purchased a 2nd frame and was able to use a few parts to make a nice battery tray and I I doubled up the foam mounting pads so I had room under the KK2 board to put my receiver.

Ricky
rickgode is offline Find More Posts by rickgode
Last edited by rickgode; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:59 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galessin View Post
I just finish building mine but im worry about the weight .. so far its 163 Gram ( frame,motor,FC,ESC and RX) missing only the prop,lipo and the battery plug ( xt60).

I add a bracket made with the frame left over on each arm where the motor wire go into the arm glue with epoxy, kind of double the thickness at this spot , and add some more epoxy on each side of the H beam.
This probably add more weight but I dont know how much.. Frame + motor is 111 Gram

Im planing to run a gen ace 2S 25C 1000 that weight 70 gram, that will put the quad in the 230 gram range ... is that too much ?

there not alot of stuff to remove to save weight.. maybe shorten the esc wire and remove the 3 red one I dont use... maybe using 2 screw to hold the motor instead of 4.

Also if someone can post his multiwii 2.1 setting to help me get started that will be nice

My parts list :

1811 2900kv
multistar 10A esc
Crius AIO Pro FC ( runing multiwii )
Flysky 6 Ch rx with PPM Sum ( only one wire needed)
gen ace 2S 1000 or zippy compact 1000 ( still in the mail)
Mine is 172g or 218g with battery (950mAh 2S)

With MultiWii board + GPS and LED

No problem with power ... but I'm not into acrobatic stuffs