Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:46 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
New Product
Pre production survey - 1/24th scale Fw190

Hi All,

I know I have had the Fw190 build thread up for a few weeks http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594150. Everything is coming together now so I can make it available as a kit.

I thought it would be a good idea to get some proper, quantifiable market research done to get a feel for initial print run sizes and also feedback on some future thinking.

I've set up one of these free on-line surveys with 5 questions. It'll probably take a whole minute to complete as there's a little bit of text to read thru at the beginning.

The survey is limited to 50 responses and 10 days - so if the link doesnt work, or you get a message and cant go any further that'll probably be why. If we do reach 50 - i'll pay a month subs and get it back up.

I would be really grateful if you could link to the survey and fill it in. It is important even if you arent that interested in the kit, or making kits full stop, to do the survey as this gives a more balanced view.

SURVEY LINK: http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?s...gzsopiou615880

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have relating to the survey or comments as to whether this is the place or the time to do this sort of thing.

Many thanks - Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Last edited by deadbird; Mar 08, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:18 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,309 Posts
I just completed the survey.

My opinion, FWIW, is that the complete cost to a US customer would be considerably higher than the "estimated" cost stated in the survey itself, which by the way does not address shipping to the US. Usually, VAT charges do not apply to the US.

Perhaps you can set us at ease, here?
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:40 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
Also completed survey.

Jon, I would only be interested in a sheet of graphics. I still think these would make sweet 2 or 3-CH planes around 9'' to 11'' span if they were light enough, might want to consider it.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:44 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
That's right - no VAT charged to customers living outside the EC.

I'm looking into shipping rates and options for delivery fulfilment at the moment. There are companies within the UK that offer pretty good rates for US delivery. As soon as I have something concrete I will let you know but I'm determined for shipping to countries outside of the EU not to be a 'deal breaker'.

Having been a customer for way longer than a supplier, I know exactly where you're coming from.

BTW - Thanks for doing the survey 356Jim!

Jon
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:53 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
Also completed survey.

Jon, I would only be interested in a sheet of graphics. I still think these would make sweet 2 or 3-CH planes around 9'' to 11'' span if they were light enough, might want to consider it.
TODD
I hear you! Plan is to get the kit(s) going first. Then I will take a good hard look at where else we can take things, what people want and what services we can realistically offer. I feel another survey coming on!!!!

Anyhow - thanks for completing this survey.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:51 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,309 Posts
Ditto me on I R Irv's request for graphics only.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:24 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to fill in the survey already. If you havent filled it in yet - I would really apreciate your input. It will help to launch a new product into this awesome hobby of ours.

For it to be an accurate reflection of the market I need as many opinions as possible so pleas click on the link. It will only take a minute, honest!

Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:07 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,994 Posts
I think you should also offer the kit without the servo.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:47 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Gene K, I hear you. And here's my 2 problems with doing that - let me know what you think!

The area cut out for the servo in the fuse is nice and tight so it slides in there and is held in the exact position for lining up with the aileron control rods. If a servo was used that wasnt the one spec'd it is likely it wouldnt be as perfect a match.

Also I have designed an aileron servo arm that works very effectively for direct control of the ailerons from the servo. It fits neatly onto the spec'd servo but wouldnt necessarily fit onto other servos out there unless you had the exact same servo.

I figured as its actually such an inexpensive part of the kit and wouldnt make a great deal of difference to the price, it wasnt worth offering a third kit option.

Let me know your thoughts - and anyone else got any opinions or thoughts on this issue?

Jon
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:46 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Oh - just thought - the servo is also correctly wired for Spektrum Rx.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:09 AM
Argentina, Corrientes
Joined Jan 2009
313 Posts
surveys answered
AMARILLO1978 is offline Find More Posts by AMARILLO1978
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
I cant thank everyone enough for their contribution. You are AWESOME!

I would just like to politely urge anyone reading this who hasnt done the survey to just spend a minute to fill it in. (This will be the last time I pester you guys )

I need to build a case up for any sales that could come of this kit and then expanding the idea to designing other aircraft and creating an ongoing range of kits. Your opinion will help form part of the plan to hopefully make this happen.

The survey has had 30 contibutors so far - another 20 would really help.

As alway - many thanks!

Jon
Old May 16, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Also interested in graphics only.
jdell42 is offline Find More Posts by jdell42
Old May 16, 2012, 02:42 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
I'd take a pdf plan , i would rather use my own choice of electronics and tiny bits of filling or cutting to make the apropriate items fit is nothing. Its a nice plane no doubt but there are plenty of those in the scratchbuilt section , personally i think starting at a kit is a bit of a mistake most people have access to a half decent printer but its your baby and it will be interesting to see how this runs.

With threads like these
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...=threadgallery
along with Kens vlf and plf builds being pretty decent detail wise and extremely good flyers and freddie does some brilliant step by step builds it may prove to be a hill to climb simply because they are free.

Add on to that when flying and from around 10 feet away most detail is lost anyway ...............................................

Good luck though you have produced a nice plane
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Last edited by scousethief; May 16, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 03:31 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Thanks scousethief for your honesty!

Most people have been extremely complimentary but your comments, feedback and observations are noted and certainly help me avoid looking at the hobby market and my kits through rose tinted specs.

The market is definately competitive, especially with the stuff you can download gratis as you point out. I tend to buy a bit of everything (as long as the bank of wife allows) from free to RTF to satisfy my hobby cravings. I think, from what I've seen, that a lot of people do the same.

With the kit I have tried to mix in a number of original ideas, use novel materials and design a kitting method with a difference.

Will it be enough to create demand? I hope so but only time will tell. If you did decide to take a kit I would be very interested in your feedback.

Cheers

Jon
Closed Thread