HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:13 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,426 Posts
what I wanted to ask you, and am always forgetting to do, what transmitter/reciever system are you using?
OlliW is online now Find More Posts by OlliW
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:22 PM
Rob C.
United States, FL, Citrus Springs
Joined Nov 2007
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
you mean you've set the servo endpoints to 60%? If so, this would explain your low Debounce value in the above. You should NOT limit your piro rate by limiting the servo end points. Have those at maximum. You can reduce the piro rate either (1) via your transmitter (dual rate or travel range or whatever) or (2) by setting the parameter "Rudd Rate" in the Advanced tab to 0.6 (for 60%).
That is what I do and I said this to clarify:

[/QUOTE]P.S. To clarify, by % of rudder I mean the limit I set on the rudder in the controller. This limits how fast my piros are.[/QUOTE]

By controller I mean transmitter. I set the dual rates on the transmitter. I always set the max servo end points and leave them at that. So with my "Rudd Rate" at 0.6 (which is = to the 60% I am setting on the transmitter) I am getting small bounce. Its really small and isn't something I am bothered by. I just wanted to pass on the info that at "Rudd Rate" 1 I get perfect stops and at "Rudd Rate" 0.6 I get a little bounce. Maybe you can try this out and confirm the same thing is happening?
mestre is offline Find More Posts by mestre
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:22 PM
Rob C.
Joined Nov 2007
40 Posts
Quote:
what I wanted to ask you, and am always forgetting to do, what transmitter/reciever system are you using?
FlySky 9x with er9X firmware. Same as the Turnigy 9x.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:37 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,426 Posts
OK, thanks. I will add this to the list of working recievers.

EDIT: sorry, I missed your second last post.
Thanks for claryfing the 60% rudder thing. It is interesting that you get a small bounce with smaller maximal piro rate. I have never done that since I kept my Rudd Rate always at 1.0. But I will try it for sure.
Do you see a difference if you set RuddRate = 0.6 as compared to RuddRate = 1.0 and a 60% dual rate in your transmitter?
Thx for reporting this phenomenon!
Last edited by OlliW; Mar 09, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:04 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,426 Posts
wau, I was just flying another 5 packs... and it may be that the stops are not absolutely perfect and it maybe that there are better gyros around... but I am flying since 2 years CP heli and had some configurations (tail servo/gyro) in test, and I stand to that, this is by far the best gyro I had ever installed (I don't mind if I will be the only one having this opinion ). I am going to sell my GP780, this is now darned clear to me

But that's actually not why I am writing. I can't fly backwards, but since some guys "cry" for testing the gyro's performance in long tail slides, I researched the web to figure out what this is, and thought that maybe that's a stunt I may try. So I did today. I can't of course claim that I can do nice long tails slides, but in few cases I could let the heli drop for easily 30m or even more (and in one case to almost crash ). Now, as much as I can tell, I couldn't see ANY indications that the gyro would not hold the tail. So, from that I am kind of convinced that it will also do it's job in such stunts.

Hopefully a better flyer than me will ever test this gyro. (HINT HINT HINT you have heard that, you flying cracks LOL)

Another point: my heart was really bumping and my knees where shaking due to these long tail slide tests... that's why I like heli flying... I am sure I will continue on practicing these tail slides, they are fun LOL
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:31 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestre View Post
That is what I do and I said this to clarify:
P.S. To clarify, by % of rudder I mean the limit I set on the rudder in the controller. This limits how fast my piros are.

By controller I mean transmitter. I set the dual rates on the transmitter. I always set the max servo end points and leave them at that. So with my "Rudd Rate" at 0.6 (which is = to the 60% I am setting on the transmitter) I am getting small bounce. Its really small and isn't something I am bothered by. I just wanted to pass on the info that at "Rudd Rate" 1 I get perfect stops and at "Rudd Rate" 0.6 I get a little bounce. Maybe you can try this out and confirm the same thing is happening?
Thanks for the feedback, i'll wait for the next firmware upgrade, hopefully by then the bounce will be totally eliminated.

cheers
Pitchp
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:42 AM
Rob C.
Joined Nov 2007
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
Thanks for the feedback, i'll wait for the next firmware upgrade, hopefully by then the bounce will be totally eliminated.

cheers
Pitchp
Maybe I am not doing things right or maybe my setup is at fault. We really can't tell exactly how this gyro is performing by just a few people testing who can't even fly 3d. If I were flying these for longer and had better gyros to compare to then that would be fair. But I consider myself a beginner. I don't conclude that my testing or reporting is as accurate as someone who is not a beginner and has knowledge about testing gyros on helis.

Rob
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:50 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
I too am a beginner!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:56 AM
Rob C.
Joined Nov 2007
40 Posts
I'm just saying that you or someone else may get different results than I.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:03 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
ahh I see what you mean. I'm waiting for Holgib to test the gyro out first with a couple of long tail slide video. I gotta see if this gyro is worth all the trouble in configuring and installing. Once I see a successful video I will proceed with the assan ga250 olliw firmware, and start with some tail tests and hopefully some 3D manouver ie: piroflips(to check if it has a constant piro rate etc).
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:30 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,426 Posts
pitchp,
this gyro project is most likely nothing for you...
you are always waiting for others to test the next firmware for you
you are crying for people to spend their time to produce videos to save you time
you are crying for people to risk their helis in doing long tail slides but you can't fly them yourself (if I am mistaken, there are YOUR videos?)
frankly, if you are not willing to spend a minimum amount of time, then this project is simply not the right thing for you
IMHO you are certainly better of buying a commercial one
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:01 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,860 Posts
Quote:
pitchp,
this gyro project is most likely nothing for you...
you are always waiting for others to test the next firmware for you
you are crying for people to spend their time to produce videos to save you time
you are crying for people to risk their helis in doing long tail slides but you can't fly them yourself (if I am mistaken, there are YOUR videos?)
frankly, if you are not willing to spend a minimum amount of time, then this project is simply not the right thing for you
IMHO you are certainly better of buying a commercial one
this is what i was wanting to hear. i have no problems buying equiptment to make something work but then if the results arent there (aka the program parameters )and it crahes , then between all the programming hardware and time i could of just bought a quark .
i am with pitchp , let others crash before i test something unproven
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:42 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,426 Posts
well, all people who have used it so far have not had a single crash because of the gyro...
some even report that it performs much better than anything (cheap) they had before even in version below v0.16
but YOU will never know, and your claim that the results are not there is a pure claim
you don't even know about what Rob is talking, how wposisbly would you, hugh?

try it, test it, and O N L Y then you should make any claims as to its performance

but somehow you guys seem to know everything without even having any clue
what is is your problem? if you are not interested in this project, no one forces you to participate. So don't do.

As I said, you are certainly better of buying a commercial one.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:58 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,593 Posts
Um die ecker bringen?

Come on OlliW, let's just keep this thread on track - you guys are doing great work, and there's no need to get involved in a flame war.

For all its faults, everyone has to admit that the GA-250 has opened up new possibilities for enthusiasts such as yourselves, to turn a low-cost, good value but somewhat basic gyro into something that can compare favourably with far more expensive name-brand products.

It's inevitable that most users won't have your electronics skills, so you are bound to be the ones doing all the heavy lifting on this project, but that simply does you great credit. So just keep on with it! (and do FBL controllers next!)
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:46 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,426 Posts
Come on 2Doggs, I think to have clarified that judgements about the performance/reliability of this gyro by folks who didn't even had this gyro in their hands and even less in their heli are not appreciated will help to keep this thread on track

Quote:
most users won't have [the] electronics skills
THAT's perfectly fine, and wouldn't be any problem! Anyone with an interest in this project AND a willingness to make a serious effort WILL get here the help she/he needs.

Some users, i.e. HolgiB and scottyvisco, have in fact already put together some very usefull info which should provide a good start.