HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:02 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Yes, I really shouldn't have been flying for a video on Saturday morning, but it was the only time that Nac and I were free and the weather was suitable. I decided to take a chance rather than wait another whole week and it cost me some repair time .

The plane is now fixed and is ready for another try. Here's a photo of it with some battle scars.

jet, this Ultima flies nothing like the Ultima SOV you used to have. This one is very rigid and flies with precision. The narrow wingtips seem to help it roll, as it has a very, very fast roll rate.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:19 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
Seeing this guy in person (Scott's one) I was really surprised. Such a well built piece of kit! Hard to believe it's EPP!
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:33 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Yes, I really shouldn't have been flying for a video on Saturday morning, but it was the only time that Nac and I were free and the weather was suitable. I decided to take a chance rather than wait another whole week and it cost me some repair time .

The plane is now fixed and is ready for another try. Here's a photo of it with some battle scars.

jet, this Ultima flies nothing like the Ultima SOV you used to have. This one is very rigid and flies with precision. The narrow wingtips seem to help it roll, as it has a very, very fast roll rate.
I tried so many things to make my SOV work better but it's like it was doomed for me to ever make it work for me. I think the biggest problem was the elevator design and that the servo mounts all had so much flex that it was hard to get it to fly consistent. Look forward to more vids on this one.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:41 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
I'm keeping an eye on the weather forecast to see when I can next fly this plane. Sunday is looking like a possibility.

BTW The plane is now listed on BestValueRC http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=353 and here is a video from the owner of Hokusei
HOKUSEI Ultima EPP HV Flighit Test (3 min 19 sec)
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:35 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Well, the weather was OK on Sunday; windier than the forecast, but not so windy that we couldn't get some more video. I'm still learning this plane's characteristics and I feel that I'm getting better at avoiding the ground . Here's a bit more Ultima action.

http://vimeo.com/41233551
Last edited by groovejet; Apr 29, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:18 AM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
Nice flying Groovejet
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:51 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
That's more like it Scott.
Gotta watch those low down snaps!
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old May 05, 2012, 06:01 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Thanks guys. Here's another video.

http://vimeo.com/41612748
Old May 05, 2012, 08:19 PM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
Groovejet, how are you liking the Ultima now? Is that park the same one where you shot the Skywing Tough vids? They are some of my favorite vids by you.
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK
Last edited by IMK; May 06, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:43 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMK View Post
Groovejet, how are you liking the Ultima now? Is that park the same one where you shot the Skywing Tough vids? They are some of my favorite vids by you.
Sorry IMK; I just noticed this now. Yes, it's the same park as the Skywing Tough video from a couple of years ago. Very well spotted . Thanks for the comments about my videos .

The Ultima flies nicely at higher speeds and it is very dynamic, but at lower speeds it is trickier to fly than my Skywing planes. I guess that this could make it a great practice plane for balsa flying, but I'd rather relax more and fly the Skywing planes.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:41 AM
Colombia, Bogota
Joined Apr 2012
32 Posts
Hi I have one new hokusei ultima and the manual is in chinise. Wich is the CG ?
Roberto Garcia is offline Find More Posts by Roberto Garcia