HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:30 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
New Product
Hokusei 48" Ultima HV EPP - balsa-like flight feel with foamy durability

EDIT 12/04/12: My kit has arrived . See post #8.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the info on Hokusei's website, this product is still at prototype stage, but will hopefully go into production soon. It looks really promising.

There's some info here: http://www.hokusei-japan.com/ikechan...p-hv-prt1.html

I've heard on the grapevine that the plane will be manufactured by Skywing to Hokusei's specifications. With Hokusei's extensive experience with EPP aeroplane design and Skywing's cutting edge design and manufacture, it should be a great product. I really look forward to the release of this product as when I used to fly smaller EPP planes, my favourite plane was Hokusei's Ultima BX. It had the great combination of beautiful precision and full-on feral dynamics.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Last edited by groovejet; Apr 12, 2012 at 03:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:53 PM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,507 Posts
I wish Skywing would find a way to add a rounded turtledeck and clear canopy on their foam airplanes. Notice how much nicer the "EV" version of the plane looks.

The square corners along the edges of the Skywing fuselages really detract from their appearance, IMO.

Not a bad looking plane otherwise. I don't mind something different from all the lookalike Edges and Extras, etc, that are out there.
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:40 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
I'm happy with the appearance of the plane. When it's in the air and flying it will look better I am sure.

I just found some more info on this plane. Hokusei have changed prototype #1 to create prototype #2 as shown on this page with plenty of nice photos: http://www.hokusei-japan.com/ikechan...p-hv-prt2.html

I really like the colour scheme, as it's a classic Hoksuei Ultima scheme and the underside looks really, really great. To my eye, this has got to be one of the nicest looking EPP models (almost) available.

BTW You can clearly see in the photos that this plane benefits from Skywing's latest fuselage design changes which adds more carbon fibre and various other things.

I simply can't wait to get my hands on one of these .
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,317 Posts
I want one
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:01 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
The Hokusei China website now lists the product, so it must be really close to being released. http://www.hokusei-china.com/P%20P%2...20EPP%20HV.htm
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:12 AM
Well they Started off cheap!
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Feb 2012
48 Posts
I Emailed Max re some parts for my Sbach 342 SC and he says the Ultima HV should be up on Bestvalue on Tuesday
Cheap aeros is offline Find More Posts by Cheap aeros
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:39 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
My Hokusei Ultima HV is already on the way via China EMS. I should have it in my hands sometime this week .

I'm going to use the following gear:

Hengli 3542 850kV motor from bestvaluerc.com
APC 13x6.5e prop
Turnigy Plush 40A ESC from hobbyking.com
Turnigy 3S2200 40c lipos from hobbyking.com
MG14 servos from hobbyking.com
long CF servo arms from bestvaluerc.com
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:08 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
It's here!!!!

When I got to work this morning, there was a nice surprise waiting for me; a Hokusei Ultima HV kit .

The paint scheme and overall airframe design looks great. Thumbs-up to Hokusei for a really nice design. This product was manufactured by Skywing to Hokusei's specifications, so it has the great airframe design that Hokusei is well known for, with the great construction methods used by Skywing. With the combined heritage of Hokusei and Skywing, it is sure to fly well! When I used to fly smaller EPP planes, my favourite plane was the Hokusei Ultima BX. It flew beautiful precision and was also full-on feral. My fingers are crossed that this larger Hokusei Ultima will also have that great combo of flight characteristics.

A heads-up for you folks in the US: this is a Hokusei product, so you can freely buy it without the restrictions that 3DHS have placed upon the Skywing kits.

Here are a few photos of my kit. I'll start assembling it tonight.
Last edited by groovejet; Apr 12, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:29 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
so what are the little wood circles for GJ?

Overall very nice looking plane, very skywing ish from the latest updates.

Colours are a bit interesting I think, must be an acquired taste.

I assume this falls into the IMAC style of plane, or is it gonna bit a little snapping rocket like that smaller one you have.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:14 AM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
Very nice. Can't wait to hear how it flies.
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:02 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
so what are the little wood circles for GJ?

Overall very nice looking plane, very skywing ish from the latest updates.

Colours are a bit interesting I think, must be an acquired taste.

I assume this falls into the IMAC style of plane, or is it gonna bit a little snapping rocket like that smaller one you have.
The wood circles look like the traditional motor spacers that Hokusei have been using for years.

The colour scheme looks good in the flesh. The underside looks good being mostly a bright colour rather than the white that is often used.

Hokusei say that this plane is an F3A/3D hybrid, so perhaps you can think of it as a foam version of something like a 3DHS Super Vyper. The 3DHS is probably my favourite balsa plane overall, but EF is my favourite balsa manufacturer due to their awesome Extra, Edge and MXS EXP planes.

I didn't get much building done tonight, due to tiredness and being more interested in doing some early planning for a holiday next year.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:33 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
I've been very busy lately, so I only just finished building the plane after spending a few hours on it tonight. It looks really great!

The AUW is 1195g. I put the following gear in it:

Hengli 3542 850kV motor (bestvaluerc.com)
APC 13x6.5e prop
Turnigy Plush 40A ESC
Turnigy 3S2200 40c lipos
MG14 servos
Long CF servo arms (bestvaluerc.com)
Hitec Optima 7 receiver with the SPC port taking the voltage directly from the lipo, to avoid those nasty Spektrum brownouts .

The weather looks good for tomorrow, so Nac and I will try to get some video. Here are some pics of the completed plane; sorry that they look similar to the previous photos I posted.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:32 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,898 Posts
Some pics and video from today

Despite having a very tough week at work and feel pretty tired, I maidened the Ultima today. I flew a couple of flights to trim it out and explore its characteristics. It flies very crisply and has a very fast roll rate. It is not as easy to 3D as a Skywing MXS, but it is intended as an F3A/3D hybrid, so it behaves as expected. We decided to shoot some video on flight number 3. The flight didn't last particularly long.

http://vimeo.com/40765809
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:18 PM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
Bummer about the short flight. Now that it's broken in I'm sure it will fly even better.
I know what you mean by a tough week. I finished my flying session early yesterday because I just couldn't keep my head in the game.
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:39 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,948 Posts
Hmm, this has some potential. Looks pretty good so far, I had one of the older Hokusei Ultima's and it has been the worst plane I ever owned. The last time attempted to fly it it was headed into the top of a big tree and all I did was give it wot and plowed all the way through the branches and drove it into the ground. Stripped the gear and put it in another plane. But this one here looks a hundred times better, looking forward to more vids GJ.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy