HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:29 AM
Australia, VIC, Warrnambool
Joined Feb 2012
165 Posts
Help!
Buying FPV gear.. need advice on initial setup

Hey all,

Getting myself setup in the world of FPV.

Purchased a few bits and pieces based on recommendations on these forums. See below...

- Eurgle 9x controller, frsky module with telemetry
- 600TVL SONY SUPER HAD CCD D-WDR Color Board Camera OSD Menu 2.8mm lens
- Sunsky 1.2GHz 800mW 8 Channel Digital Wireless AV transmitter &
receiver
- PL8006 Portable 8" Color LCD Monitor TV w/ YPbPr + VGA Input

I have a few questions.

1. What am i suppose to get in the way of a low pass filter to stop any problems with 2.4ghz controller and 1.2ghz video tx?

2. What size lipo would you recommend to run the video tx on the plane?
Do i need any voltage regulators here?

3. What size lipo would you recommend to run a ground station with the parts listed above, also do i need a voltage reg with recommended battery?

4. Also can anyone recommend a good cheap OSD to get me started?

Just trying to work it all out and get everything ordered so i dont try and set myself up and have parts missing that i overlooked.

Thanks heaps!
neo__04 is offline Find More Posts by neo__04
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Feb 2012
165 Posts
bump bump.. I would have thought these were easy questions for you pros out there :P
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:01 PM
United States, NV, Rachel
Joined Dec 2008
1,174 Posts
check out this OSD
http://www.urbandrones.com/Urban-Dro...cker_p_36.html

an 800mah lipo should be sufficient to power the camera and tx

Low pass filter
http://www.urbandrones.com/13ghz-low...nce-_p_88.html

use the website contact page and you will get any other questions answered.
alexedit is offline Find More Posts by alexedit
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:12 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
I just bought my FPV equipment, too. I actually invested a bit more in the OSD.. I initially had the same thought as you and go cheap for the first but "cheap" is still around $1000 and I spent a bit more in a reliable OSD with RTH, so I went for the DragonOSD...

Attached is my list of components.

I am using the x9 with FrySky as well, but for the VideoLink I am going for 5.8GHz.

I also prepare my FPV plane for night flying (most of my planes are) with anti-collision light since we are close to an airport here (about 5mls away).

Also I ordered a military dog tag with my phone number on it which I will mount inside the fuselage, in case it get's really lost and some finds it. Actually I think it's part of the regulations here in the US.

Hope that helps.
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Last edited by flyandi; Mar 08, 2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some components that I got yesterday. Check ZIP.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
165 Posts
cool thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of a cheap OSD because i have an Ardupilot Mega 2 on its way and was just going to get the osd for it.

As far as i know the APM2 has RTH and all those sorts of functions, so is there any advantage of a dragonlink vs APM2 with OSD for non uav flying?

Thanks again
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:44 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
The only thing is that DragonOSD is extremely reliable from what I heard and read. I probably will get at one point the APM2, too. But for now I am more interested to get a working setup and get some good experience before I start tinkering with components.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:53 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,302 Posts
If you are new, then why are you even bothering with RTH? RTH is a horrible idea for a new pilot. Skip the auto pilot for at least 100 flights.

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
165 Posts
Absolutely agree, have plans for quadcopters etc in the future and the apm2 are on a masive backorder, so i ordered one just to get in the queue.

This is why im trying to work out what OSD to use, because the apm2 is another project down the line. Most likely after 100 flights.

I have pretty much ordered all the fpv running gear, just have the OSD to work out.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:26 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
Oh I agree - doesn't make really sense to use RTH/Autopilot since you flying 300ft around yourself for the first couple times, but once you feel comfortable you want to go a little bit further and even only to save your investment you want a reliable RTH. If you don't have it, you probably going to end up buying it anyway. Why not saving $100-$200 and have it right from the get-go. Doesn't mean you have to use it. Just my .02 cents.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Feb 2012
165 Posts
So would the dragonlink osd2+ be the choice of most?
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:46 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
I was reading a lot about OSD and I decided between the Nova ($150) and the DragonOSD ($215) ... in the end I went to the DragonOSD since it has a very good reputation amongst FPV'ers, 4 Channel RTH, 20 Waypoint Autopilot and 6000 points recorder. Also I like the different customizations you can do with the DragonOSD.

The NOVA OSD is a bit cheaper and has a two-channel (Aileron/Elevator). The Nova is a very good OSD and it comes with a more and less reliable RTH, has a very clean OSD layout and doesn't need a lot of configuration.

However I know that at one point I want to use the autopilot and GPS recorder and spent the extra bucks for the DOSD.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:00 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo__04 View Post
cool thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of a cheap OSD because i have an Ardupilot Mega 2 on its way and was just going to get the osd for it.

As far as i know the APM2 has RTH and all those sorts of functions, so is there any advantage of a dragonlink vs APM2 with OSD for non uav flying?

Thanks again
Ardupilot has an OSD available that integrates with Mavlink.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
165 Posts
again, thanks for all the replies.

The only question unanswered is can anyone recommend which lipo and rating to use for a ground station with the parts listed in the original post.

Thanks heaps!
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:18 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
I am sure you would be good with 5000 mah. But I would put a meter on the power leads and see how much it uses. RX and related components don't draw much.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:13 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
Hey Neo, If you wanna read more about the DOSD: http://forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37