HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Dec 2002
300 Posts
Discussion
How does it work?

Folks,

Just out of interest, I an trying to understand how TX and RX remain in sync during the lightening-fast rate at which the frequency is changing.
-
As I understand it, Frsky RX during bind process learns of the TX's unique ID and this is somehow used to determine the hopping order.
-
How on earth does the receiver manage to keep on track through such a fast changing spectrum of frequencies?
-
Any Ideas?..
-
Rgds, Steve
SteveM is offline Find More Posts by SteveM
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:29 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,658 Posts
Steve,

Once the receiver is bound to the transmitter, the receiver knows where next frequency is going to be so it hops there in synchronism with the transmitter. If for any reason it looses track of the transmitter, there are mechanisms in place for it to find it again, like at switch-on it has to lock on and this is the cause of a slight delay before the servos become active.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, TX, Comal
Joined Dec 2011
43 Posts
Hey! How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.
Billtheboss is offline Find More Posts by Billtheboss
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:49 AM
T-Squared
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Apr 2010
193 Posts
Magic!
T-Squared is offline Find More Posts by T-Squared
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:52 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,635 Posts
Oh boy, this made me start humming "The End of the World" by The Carpenters.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:26 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Squared View Post
Magic!
Magic crystals made of quartz.

Seriously, the timing crystals used in 2.4GHz transmitters and receivers 'tick' at 12 million times per second with an accuracy of 0.003%, enabling very precise control of frequency and synchronization.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:34 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Magic crystals made of quartz.

Seriously, the timing crystals used in 2.4GHz transmitters and receivers 'tick' at 12 million times per second with an accuracy of 0.003%, enabling very precise control of frequency and synchronization.
T-Squared explanation was more poetic
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:52 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,244 Posts
Here is a good explanation....

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrum03.shtml

And this video really helps
How spread spectrum RC systems can share the same part of the 2.4GHz band (8 min 25 sec)
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Last edited by ScottSails; Mar 08, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:08 AM
Joined Dec 2002
300 Posts
Tks for your replies.
-
I have seen the rcmr vid before.... very nice explanation, although i didnt realise that a momentary transmission on one single frequency doesn't even make up one bit in the data stream.
It is the initial sync issue i was most interested in, and how often some kind of "sync check" frame was sent/needed.
If , as Bruce says, the clocks are that accurate, then this would explain a lot.
Rgds, steve
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:15 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,658 Posts
No matter how accurate the clocks are in the TX and RX there will always be some drift between them so I would expect there to be a mechanism to resynchronise them. This used to be known as "tau dither" a fancy term which means the receiver is always hunting slightly up and down the synch range to see where the edges of the pulses lie so that it could tell how much drift is happening and can compensate for it.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:06 AM
Joined Dec 2002
300 Posts
That sounds really clever.... dynamically adjusting to keep in sync.
-
I realise we all don't really need to know how these things work, I am just really impressed this all happens in a product so cheap (well, Frsky anyhow).., and find it really interesting.
-
Rgds, Steve