HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:09 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
Question
Questions about my first flying kit

Hi Folks,
I've been reading regularly over the past few weeks and have finally compiled my list from the various threads. I have also been training on the RealFlight sim and have some flight time on the Hobbyzone Champ RTF. I'm ready to upgrade. Please comment/answer a few questions

Transmitter: Spektrum DX6i
Receiver: AR6200 (bundled with TX) or OrangeRX (question regarding this below)
Plane: Dynam T-28 Trojan from nitoplanes. Can't beat 100 bucks for this bird
Charger/Balancer: Thunder AC680 from HK
LiPo: Haven't looked much

My questions:
1) I saw some discussion about using OrangeRX with the DX6i. Do you think I should get this or perhaps get the DX6i+AR6200 RX as a bundle and have an OrangeRX as a backup?

2) DX6i is 210 bucks as a bundle. Any coupons out there which will make it cheaper? I searched but I couldn't find any for Horizon Hobbies. I know if a 25 off 250 coupon for AMainHobbies...might use that

3) Thunder AC680 is not the same as Thunder Power I hear...is the AC680 a good charger? Any other recommendations with built in power supply and dual voltage?

4) Please comment on anything I might have overlooked.
iamtheone is offline Find More Posts by iamtheone
Last edited by iamtheone; Mar 08, 2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added first plane info
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:03 AM
United States, TN, Smyrna
Joined Sep 2011
286 Posts
You wont find anything but free shipping from horizon, your best bet is to google it and then email the hobby shop what their best price is. You should be able to get 10 to 20 dollars off of it.

Orange would be good for backup

That charger will work fine for what you are going to be charging.
TGKconnectors is offline Find More Posts by TGKconnectors
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:35 AM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Greve Strand
Joined Oct 2008
83 Posts
Hi Iamtheone
There is NO problem in using the orange RX, the range and the reliability is the same as the AR6200 - i have been flying with the orange RX for over a year without problems - before that i flew with original spektrum RX and i have found no difference.
I dont think you will find the DX6i much cheaper than the one you found

I havent flown the T-28 - But if you are new to flying rc, my advice is to get a plane made of foam, and if you can find a plane where the wings sits on top of the plane (bixler, axn floater, hawksky etc.)

About lipos there as many opinions as there are lipos - My experience, i use rhinos from hobbyking, cheap, reliable, and if you crasch (and you will) if the batteri gets damaged, just replace it.

Best of luck

Regards
Jan
might is offline Find More Posts by might
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:47 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheone View Post
Hi Folks,
I've been reading regularly over the past few weeks and have finally compiled my list from the various threads.

Plane: Dynam T-28 Trojan from nitoplanes. Can't beat 100 bucks for this bird

4) Please comment on anything I might have overlooked.
Ok, so, you may have been reading but you haven't been listening... If you had been listening, you'd know that is a poor choice for your first plane. And for many, it's not even a good 2nd plane.

It's no fun when a "Can't beat 100 bucks for this bird" is destroyed within the first 15 seconds of your first flight.

Go back and check the other "What should be my first plane?" threads. There is a common theme there. Pick one of those and go have some fun.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrchs View Post
You wont find anything but free shipping from horizon, your best bet is to google it and then email the hobby shop what their best price is. You should be able to get 10 to 20 dollars off of it.

Orange would be good for backup

That charger will work fine for what you are going to be charging.
Mtrchs, I'll look at emailing the hobby shop. Thanks for the info on Orange RX and charger
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by might View Post
Hi Iamtheone
There is NO problem in using the orange RX, the range and the reliability is the same as the AR6200 - i have been flying with the orange RX for over a year without problems - before that i flew with original spektrum RX and i have found no difference.
I dont think you will find the DX6i much cheaper than the one you found

I havent flown the T-28 - But if you are new to flying rc, my advice is to get a plane made of foam, and if you can find a plane where the wings sits on top of the plane (bixler, axn floater, hawksky etc.)

About lipos there as many opinions as there are lipos - My experience, i use rhinos from hobbyking, cheap, reliable, and if you crasch (and you will) if the batteri gets damaged, just replace it.

Best of luck

Regards
Jan
Hi Jan,
The T-28 description says "high strength EPO-foam", so tjhat should be good. Thanks for the battery recommendations
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
Ok, so, you may have been reading but you haven't been listening... If you had been listening, you'd know that is a poor choice for your first plane. And for many, it's not even a good 2nd plane.

It's no fun when a "Can't beat 100 bucks for this bird" is destroyed within the first 15 seconds of your first flight.

Go back and check the other "What should be my first plane?" threads. There is a common theme there. Pick one of those and go have some fun.
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I have some flight time on the Hobbyzone Champ RTF which my wife bought for me. I am quite comfortable with that now. Perhaps I should put this in my original port as well.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:16 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Aaah, well, in that case! LOL

If you can get some stick time with a larger high wing, I'd recommend it. Otherwise, heck, go for it!

BTW, as for batteries, Hobby King is carrying a large stock of Lipos in their USA warehouse. The Turnigy Nanotechs are very good at a great price! Thumbs up on the OrangeRX, too.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
My only Spektrum Rx was garbage after a few flights. I have been flying the same Orange Rx in several of my planes for almost a year now with no problems. Also I fly with HK batteries as well, if one gets cooked, buy another!
srthomas218 is offline Find More Posts by srthomas218
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:26 PM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
I have to say that from experience the orange rx's seem to be more reliable than original Spek rx's -
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate it
On another note, does anyone have a Horizon Hobby coupon I could use?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Oct 2011
112 Posts
Huh, for the receiver orange Rx seem fine to me. Infact my only Spektrum Rx I used went out after about 15 flights. Orange has not failed yet. I'm kinda disappointed in Spektrum concidering the price. Now I did get another Spek but it was for the size nothing else. Hope it does ok.
With my DX6i I looked for a bundle as well. Didn't find any type of combo out there. Just as easy to pick them up seperately.
The T-28 is a great plane for ya. If you are bored with the champ the T28 should challenge you for a little while but should be easier to fly then you think. You will have to get used to the controller on a 4 channel if your champ was a 3. Little different.

Don't know about coupons or chargers enough to comment.
Have fun and be safe!
Stormchase is offline Find More Posts by Stormchase
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchase View Post
Huh, for the receiver orange Rx seem fine to me. Infact my only Spektrum Rx I used went out after about 15 flights. Orange has not failed yet. I'm kinda disappointed in Spektrum concidering the price. Now I did get another Spek but it was for the size nothing else. Hope it does ok.
With my DX6i I looked for a bundle as well. Didn't find any type of combo out there. Just as easy to pick them up seperately.
The T-28 is a great plane for ya. If you are bored with the champ the T28 should challenge you for a little while but should be easier to fly then you think. You will have to get used to the controller on a 4 channel if your champ was a 3. Little different.

Don't know about coupons or chargers enough to comment.
Have fun and be safe!
Hi Stormchase,
Seems like OrangeRX is racking up points compared to Spek :P

Ya, I figured I might take some time getting used to the DX6i, so I plan on using it with RealFlight first
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
I picked up a dx6i for $159.00 new with free shipping. I didn't get the bundle. Ordered the orenge rx seperately.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:51 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,005 Posts
Hi iamtheone,, I have been using the AC6 for a while now and have been happy with it. The AC680 looks like a newer version. It was my first and only charger after I got tired of the factory cheap chargers.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K