HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:08 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Question
Vintage Deep Vee Help

Hi All,
I don't normally venture in here but i just picked up an old deep Vee from a buddy with a .46 Nitro in it, I would like to know how comparable this is to a 25cc gas engine? I have no knowledge of Nitro's and have no idea what this old girl is gonna do for me. I have to replace the bearings and gaskets and then re-build it so there will be quite a while before I get any running pics.
but here is a few pics before the clean up process...

Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:54 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Look like the old Dumas DV-40, what kind of .46 glow engine is in it? Doesn't seem to have used a tuned exhaust and the hull is probably heavy(if Dumas)so it will move around but nothing impressive speed wise. Can see its set-up for submerged drive, did the strudder cames with it?
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,310 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...HP_1_54kw.html

Spec.
Displacement: 15cc
Weight: 825g (Including ignition and muffler)
Carburettor: Walbro type
Prop Speed: 1500 ~ 9800rpm
Max power: 2.1hp / 1.54kw
Ignition: DC-CDI (computer controlled auto advance electric ignition system)
Power Supply: 4.8-6v
Lubrication oil: 2 cycle engine oil
Mixture: 25:1 to 40:1
Bore/Stroke: 31mm x 26mm

10+ $

Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Last edited by Amp Abuser; Mar 08, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:04 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,031 Posts
Looks more like a SKEE-DADDLE 40, which was more like a ski boat, with a vee bottom. Most Deep Vees, have a hull ratio of 3.5-4 to one, length to beam. Ie, a long hull. The two will handle different. CB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:16 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
How comparable this is to a 25cc gas engine?

A 25cc gasoline engine doesn't really compare to a .46(7.5cc) glow engine, the cheap one intended for planes have good torque but low rpm so would require a rather large prop which would cause problems in such a small hull. Gasoline engines also run a lot hotter than glow and would requires water cooling or at least a fan. If its a Dumas wooden DV-40, they were smaller than what is used now for a 40 size engine and it would be hard to install a bigger power plan without major surgery! In their days they were often powered with a 35<45 airplane glow engine with an Octura Kool-Klamp or one of the earlier K&B .40 marine. Such an engine was good with a 45mm prop(submerged drive)and ran around 12K<15K rpm. If the engine you have is shot you might consider another cheap alternative from HK:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_Engine_.html
Or even better(since it has pull-start)that .46 from Meccoa:
http://www.mecoa.com/mecoa/46/4622.htm
That would keep the boat within its intented power range and more rpm than the original. If you need to replace the bearings in your existing engine maybe other parts are also worn(piston/sleeve,conrod etc...)and it might get expensive or impossible to fix if that model is discontinued. Glow IC isn't more difficult to use than gasoline engines as long as you keep it simple and don't need to extract maximum power from them
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:27 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB View Post
Looks more like a SKEE-DADDLE 40, which was more like a ski boat, with a vee bottom. Most Deep Vees, have a hull ratio of 3.5-4 to one, length to beam. Ie, a long hull. The two will handle different. CB
The SK-Daddle has a flatter bottom and very different transom! The old DV-20,DV-40 and DV-60 were much smaller than what we use now:
http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=422
http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=416
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:21 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Hey Awesome guys!
I have to get some pictures of the engine, I believe it was a submerged drive, I have all the running gear. The bearings in the engine were totally shot. so its in pieces in a butter container... I'll do some digging and pull it out, maybe I can post some pics of the engine and drive hardware.

But it sounds like I am best to stick with a comparable Nytro engine. There was no muffler or expansion pipe on it, just straight out the transom (boo-yeah straight piped!) I don't need it to go insanely fast, but I am actually excited about the deep vee design. should be lots of fun in the waves! I would like to move into the liquid cooled engines, they make me feel a little more comfortable running them. Does an engine this sizze come with clutches or is that something I can put in?

Thanks for the help and responces guys

Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:50 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Marine engines which have a clutch do requires a water pump(even more so if gasoline fuelled). Its more commonly used in scale type boats than speed hulls which rely on forward motion to circulate water:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post19741506