HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Dec 2010
139 Posts
Discussion
sunnysky 2814-11 and Tiger 2814-11 the same?

Hi all

I come across the Sunnysky 2814-11 motor and realized the specs for this motors are the same as the TigerRc 2814-11.

Are they the same motors? Does Tiger produce for SunnySky?

Are sunnysky motors ok?

Here is the SunnySky
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/sunnysky-2...tor-p-382.html

Here is the Tiger
http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=132
glenncol is offline Find More Posts by glenncol
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:05 AM
Schweiz, BE, Münchenbuchsee
Joined Jun 2011
287 Posts
That is a good question. I don't know. maybe
Morphin is offline Find More Posts by Morphin
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
They're not same until sunnysky reaches $12/motor
at which point I'll be able to afford them.
cuz everyone knows every $100 motor is < $12 worth of parts, and you pay for the sticker.
No sticker = $12
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined Dec 2010
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
They're not same until sunnysky reaches $12/motor
at which point I'll be able to afford them.
cuz everyone knows every $100 motor is < $12 worth of parts, and you pay for the sticker.
No sticker = $12
LOL

So you dont feel they could be one n the same?, if ithey are the sunnysky motors are $20 or more less than the Tigers
glenncol is offline Find More Posts by glenncol
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:15 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Oh hell no, I learned the other day that you get what you pay for. I bought 5 SK3 2826 motors and three of them were crap (Magnet rubs against stator, bad bearings and an unbalanced bell.) and one had wires leaving the motors on a different side which made me swap it out for another motor to get a clean build. And these were 16 USD a piece.

As for that motor, I have no idea. They look the same and share the same specs. It's hard to tell by just looking at picture. I've had some good luck with my Tiger motors, I would buy another set again if I had to.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:10 AM
youtube.com/#/user/flyrobots
Indonesia
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
Its interesting discussion, i also want to decide to buy these motor class, sunnysky x2814-11 or Tmotor MT 2814-11 or AVroto 2814-11.
Which one is the best in term of : no 1. temperature, no 2. bearing quality (noise), no.3 build quality (this one i lost my confidence with sunnysky but price make this motor interesting we can DIY to fix it). No 4.max trust (i think is similar and i never push the motor to max thrust anyway)

Anyone who have experienced have all these motor, can share ?

Thanks
John
Flyrobot is offline Find More Posts by Flyrobot
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
I have bought many of the sunnysky motors - out of 12 of them 1 has not been upto scratch on the quality and causes vibrations. Apart from that one, they have all been very smooth and on the plus side is the collets/propeller adapters which are very well engineered!

ice.
icedfusion is offline Find More Posts by icedfusion
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:18 PM
Indonesia
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
I think which is good if you have all of this brand, than you can compare and feel the difference.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:27 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrobot View Post
Its interesting discussion, i also want to decide to buy these motor class, sunnysky x2814-11 or Tmotor MT 2814-11 or AVroto 2814-11.
Which one is the best in term of : no 1. temperature, no 2. bearing quality (noise), no.3 build quality (this one i lost my confidence with sunnysky but price make this motor interesting we can DIY to fix it). No 4.max trust (i think is similar and i never push the motor to max thrust anyway)

Anyone who have experienced have all these motor, can share ?

Thanks
John
They may be from the same factory but they are not the same. Each dealer get to spec out the motor for themselves if you buy enough. They may have the same specs but depends on the quantity you buy at one time. For example if you buy 100, the factory will sell you some that they are selling to X dealer. If you buy 1000 the factory will engrave your logo on the motor. If you but 10000 you get to pick the varnish they put on the wire and/or the bearings they use.

I have quite a few Avroto and just recently bought some SunnySky 2814-9 to test. They are definitely fine motors. Runs cool, plenty of power and runs very smooth. I like them so much I ordered some bigger ones.

That said where do you see the SunnySky 2814-11. I would like to get some of those. The 2814-9 is a tad too high kV for me.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:43 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I have a couple of 1400kv Sunnysky 2212 something motors and Tiger MT2216-11. The Sunnysky motors are nowhere near as smooth when you spin them by hand, but they seem to have PLENTY of power. My VC-FPV frame with everything on except the GoPro hovers at 30-35% throttle. Or just over the Multiwii idle speed which made me a little nervous, it wasn't easy to get it down safely so I have to adjust the min_throttle value later.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:19 AM
Indonesia
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
They may be from the same factory but they are not the same. Each dealer get to spec out the motor for themselves if you buy enough. They may have the same specs but depends on the quantity you buy at one time. For example if you buy 100, the factory will sell you some that they are selling to X dealer. If you buy 1000 the factory will engrave your logo on the motor. If you but 10000 you get to pick the varnish they put on the wire and/or the bearings they use.

I have quite a few Avroto and just recently bought some SunnySky 2814-9 to test. They are definitely fine motors. Runs cool, plenty of power and runs very smooth. I like them so much I ordered some bigger ones.

That said where do you see the SunnySky 2814-11. I would like to get some of those. The 2814-9 is a tad too high kV for me.
I agree it might made from same company, bulk order (high volume) with small volume is only 5-20 percent price difference. but in this case 35 usd with 55 Usd.
There is 2 possibility why the price is big difference. the spect is same but the price is big difference between these 3 motor :
1. they are using low quality bearing (we will know after we try, feel and hear), body casing etc, the others using much better components. This what we can understand and accept why the price is big difference
2. Buy a sticker and using low quality components, or same as 35 usd. This is what im worry.
If you see this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388583, we can see expensive doesn't mean have higher quality with cheaper.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:31 AM
Indonesia
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
I have a couple of 1400kv Sunnysky 2212 something motors and Tiger MT2216-11. The Sunnysky motors are nowhere near as smooth when you spin them by hand, but they seem to have PLENTY of power. My VC-FPV frame with everything on except the GoPro hovers at 30-35% throttle. Or just over the Multiwii idle speed which made me a little nervous, it wasn't easy to get it down safely so I have to adjust the min_throttle value later.
Have you tried after 5 minute flight, how was the temperature from both motor, which one is hotter? I have KDA20-22, it run smoother then sunnysky 2216 but the if i run it for 5 minute with same plane, its much hotter than sunnysky. This temperature of KDA20-22 is make me really worry. I dont know why people only concern the max thrust of motor but never test the temperature.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
>>2. Buy a sticker and using low quality components, or same as 35 usd. This is what im worry.
If you see this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388583, we can see expensive doesn't mean have higher quality with cheaper.<<

Just don't worry. I have found out over the years is that the selling price has nothing to do with the performance and quality of a product. It is all about what the market will pay. I much rather use a less expensive product if it is a good value over a higher price product where the price has to do with spending money on marketing.

So why worry, just pay the lower price, buy the motor and try it yourself.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:13 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrobot View Post
Have you tried after 5 minute flight, how was the temperature from both motor, which one is hotter? I have KDA20-22, it run smoother then sunnysky 2216 but the if i run it for 5 minute with same plane, its much hotter than sunnysky. This temperature of KDA20-22 is make me really worry. I dont know why people only concern the max thrust of motor but never test the temperature.
I always use a motor that is more powerful, a speed controller that can handle more current so I can have a cool running motor and ESC.

Max thrust of a motor is deceiving. We are flying mostly at 50% throttle on our multi rotors.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:20 PM
Indonesia
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
I tired buying motor that seems good but really dispointed after several times using it.
For less than 10amp, i found the best motor but not expensive after i tried many motors, i send to much money for trial and error.

I hope on this thread i got honest info especially for those 3 motor class 2814 looks the same in term of spec but i dont think using same bearing and body material quality. I only need info for motor temperature and noise level from those motors.