SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:43 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,078 Posts
The Tomcat caught fire, or another plane? Was it an ESC?
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:56 AM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
926 Posts
They never sent me a Tomcat, actually... I ordered one, but they sent a Phantom instead somehow. I sent that one back two weeks ago and haven't received any refund from them yet - Guess they're still "processing" that one to determine if it was somehow my fault that I was sent an item that I didn't order...

The plane that caught fire was the P-51, and it was the sound system that gave out the smoke. A neat device, but not very safe!
Roswalt is online now Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,078 Posts
I wonder if a lining of fire-retardant fabric/film would be any good. Might still result in some foam melt, but no flames from the foam?

You should be coming up to the end of the 15-day processing window. If you don't see a credit, I'd go to chat support - might be a wait to get someone to answer, but in my experience they do. One I've explained the situation and give them the information (order #, transaction ID), I take a chat transcript and send a copy to their support e-mail as follow-up.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:02 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
926 Posts
Fred, that would be great but BH has done away with LiveChat. Their Customer Support is dipping to new levels of terrible and there is very little that a concerned customer can do to voice their concerns in real time. It's all time delayed in a very big way.

Does it really take two weeks to open a box, match it to the order, see that it is clearly the wrong item (And still unopened) and push "refund payment" on Paypal?

And when something spontaneously combusts in a customer's living room, on the first day after reception, how would you handle that? They haven't even acknowledged my email, phone call, or the other thread I started about it. For all they know my house could have burned down and they'd just be hiding behind a disclaimer and dodging my calls/emails/etc.

I feel like a beaten puppy dog who just keeps coming back for more- These guys have done me wrong on two straight orders and I see no positive trend anymore. Yet, they maintain U.S. exclusive agreements on a lot of really cool planes that have to be bought overseas (And paid for handsomely) if you want to avoid BH.

I feel pretty confident that they couldn't survive as a profitable business without those exclusive U.S. distribution rights. They get my business only because I do not have another choice for the products I'm interested in. If I did, I definitely would not send my money to them anymore.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
[QUOTE=Roswalt;21148155

I feel pretty confident that they couldn't survive as a profitable business without those exclusive U.S. distribution rights. They get my business only because I do not have another choice for the products I'm interested in. If I did, I definitely would not send my money to them anymore.[/QUOTE]

Dear Ron,

ditto

same bad support goes for nitroplanes...
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:12 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
926 Posts
I don't know if I agree entirely - Nitroplanes has been much better for me, but I know about their semi-secret support forum, RCdiscuss... They employ 3 full-timers there who will scavenge from new planes if they have to in order to get you flying again in short order.

I haven't ever had a drawn-out problem with NP, but I've now had 3 with BH - These last two are within a month of one another, and they take the cake. Wrong planes being shipped and aircraft spontaneously combusting while the phone calls are being ignored, live chat is disabled, emails are disregarded for weeks, and even threads like this don't raise an eyebrow because people have come to expect that sort of thing.

Luckily, this further decline of customer support does come at a time when I'm about to enter a long period of time away from home and I won't feel as bad about not being able to buy anything. I don't want my (Or anyone else's) money going to Banana Hobby right now. I really wish the exclusive rights arrangement with Art-Tech, LX, and FMS would expire for good so that we can make sound purchase decisions based on more than just availability.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:34 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
I. They employ 3 full-timers there who will scavenge from new planes if they have to in order to get you flying again in short order.
Not for me they didnt.

is 2 months of repeatedly requesting the part from support SHORT ORDER ?

They REFUSED to scavenge another kit to replace the missing part. Said i had to wait until they got in spare parts. And guess what - they never did stock the spare part - I would still be waiting with a worthless plane if i hadn't escalated. Their regular support channels were WORTHLESS.

I only ever got the part because i made repeated noise about it here on these forums and their forum jock finally escalated(after repeated notes from me) to management to get me the part.

Nitro is no better than banana in my experience.
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
Roswalt received incorrect plane F-14 order F-4 received

Roswalt received incorrect plane F-14 order F-4 received.

Banana Hobby CSR States the following:Quote:
Quote:
Hi Roswalt, the processing time for RMA's is up to 15 business days, but in the event that you did request a refund on the return form, after the item is inspected and its confirmed that its undamged it would be a full refund as the wrong item being shipped was no fault of yours.

The part I love is that "as the wrong item being shipped was no fault of yours....
PRICELESS!!!!!! BUYER BE WARE!!!!
raywayne is offline Find More Posts by raywayne
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:54 AM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
926 Posts
Update

I ended up having to file a Paypal dispute (Because it was approaching 45 days since my initial order date and I didn't want to lose the ability to take that road) and it seems they are much more responsive to that. Everything is cool now.

I wish it hadn't been dragged out for so long though - It is nothing more than a CYA excuse when a business claims to need 15 working days to approve something like this. It was the wrong item, clearly. I paid for that item immediately, and returned it immediately, within one business day. I understand they have a new warehouse and they're busy, but let me add that I do have a pretty demanding job of my own and yet I found the time to respect their time. I don't feel like the same was done for me, just like it hasn't been done on the P-51 issue.

If you're up for a laugh, take a look at the other thread I posted here about that. It caused a decent fire all on its own in stock form, yet they took a week to even acknowledge me. When they finally did, they acted like I was an idiot who thought the motor itself was supposed to sound like a Merlin V12. They told me there wasn't a separate sound system, despite the photo and description that was right there, staring them in the face. They don't even know their own products anymore....

Pete, if you're lurking out there, now would be a great time to jump in and provide some top-level perspective on what's actually going on in the company right now, because it isn't pretty to the casual observer.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
Roswalt, please confirm refund was received, if not I will pm you the refund transaction id number. I apologize for the misinformation, and having Tony call you, I didn't meant to cause trouble by actually trying to help you. wasn't aware that by offering to send parts that was implying that you were an idiot, but you learn something new everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
I ended up having to file a Paypal dispute (Because it was approaching 45 days since my initial order date and I didn't want to lose the ability to take that road) and it seems they are much more responsive to that. Everything is cool now.

I wish it hadn't been dragged out for so long though - It is nothing more than a CYA excuse when a business claims to need 15 working days to approve something like this. It was the wrong item, clearly. I paid for that item immediately, and returned it immediately, within one business day. I understand they have a new warehouse and they're busy, but let me add that I do have a pretty demanding job of my own and yet I found the time to respect their time. I don't feel like the same was done for me, just like it hasn't been done on the P-51 issue.

If you're up for a laugh, take a look at the other thread I posted here about that. It caused a decent fire all on its own in stock form, yet they took a week to even acknowledge me. When they finally did, they acted like I was an idiot who thought the motor itself was supposed to sound like a Merlin V12. They told me there wasn't a separate sound system, despite the photo and description that was right there, staring them in the face. They don't even know their own products anymore....

Pete, if you're lurking out there, now would be a great time to jump in and provide some top-level perspective on what's actually going on in the company right now, because it isn't pretty to the casual observer.
Banana Hobby CSR is offline Find More Posts by Banana Hobby CSR
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:42 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
926 Posts
I'm sorry for sounding a little harsh there, but I had outlined the problem from the very first post, and after about a week of waiting, I got phone calls offering a new motor and nothing else... That implied to me that despite all the information provided in 3 different avenues and in great detail, you guys didn't think I knew what I was talking about. I guess I figured your shop would be well aware of a new offering like a sound system. It's nothing personal.

I do appreciate your willingness to assist - Don't want that to go unmentioned, and Tony's call was extremely helpful as a show of good faith, but it has been difficult getting in consistent contact with your company. I'll have to double-check on the refund later this afternoon; As far as I know everything went through just fine.

UPDATE (2142)
Paypal refund went through 100% - This issue is done and over with. Thank you to BH's CSR for making this happen. P-51 issue is also being dealt with swiftly. Remains to be seen what will turn up in the mail, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point.
Last edited by Roswalt; Apr 02, 2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
i just had something similar happen to me - ordered the Venom F86 with AIR retracts and metal spring struts and i received a Venom F86 with crappy electric retracts and wire struts - these things will bend and break on the first flight - which i doubt i make. The entire reason i bought this jet was for the air retracts - AND the electric ones stick out 1/2" from the wing - dont sit flush like the photos on the website -I just sent my second email because i never received a response to another issue on my first - this is getting old
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
May I have your order number please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCLEODVT View Post
i just had something similar happen to me - ordered the Venom F86 with AIR retracts and metal spring struts and i received a Venom F86 with crappy electric retracts and wire struts - these things will bend and break on the first flight - which i doubt i make. The entire reason i bought this jet was for the air retracts - AND the electric ones stick out 1/2" from the wing - dont sit flush like the photos on the website -I just sent my second email because i never received a response to another issue on my first - this is getting old
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
BH18-215893
Shawn
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
Hi Shawn, Can you please send me photos of the retracts for the item you received, my email is bhlccsr1@bananahobby.com. I do apologize for any inconvenience it may cause you, but I will need the photo to show the parts department and confirm a mistake was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCLEODVT View Post
BH18-215893
Shawn