HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:52 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Careful!
RESOLVED: Wrong plane shipped: No more live chat, no more support. Seriously?

Before I get going I want to say that I've had a dozens of positive dealings with BH over the years. I generally understand that I'm going to get the product after a week or so, and there may be a number of minor things wrong with it out of the box that I will have to remedy. That's part of being a hobbyist, I suppose.

However, now they've begun to ship completely different items, and when you receive it and realize a switch has been made, you have no way of contacting anybody for help. Emails aren't processed. Live Chat is a thing of the past. Phones go unanswered as usual. This is my last resort...

Order# bh18-205811
Item Ordered: Twin 60mm F-14 Tomcat
Item Received: Single 90mm F-4 Phantom.

I realize they're only a digit apart on the designator, and they are both Jolly Rogers paint schemes, but they're very different planes. I only opened the box to see that it was in fact the wrong jet. Everything is still taped in place and nothing was moved. I need to return this thing but nobody will even listen to me. I did follow the instructions provided and sent an RMA request to the right address. I also used their support form to no avail. Hopefully a CSR will read this and provide a remedy - I'm not planning on paying for shipping this huge box back, and I'm not particularly interested in keeping the Phantom. I'd like a refund including shipping charges.

Anybody else experience this kind of product switching? Are they just hoping I'll give up and go away?

UPDATE:

About 2 minutes after I posted this, I got a reply from BH to my support form that had been sent earlier, asking for the photos that had already been sent to the address provided in their return instructions. I sent them again, but the email said I should expect to wait 3 business days for them to respond. Unsat.
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Last edited by Roswalt; Apr 04, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:09 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,638 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap

Hi Roswalt,

Like you I've had generally good service from BH over the years, with minor exceptions.

I REALLY like the FMS line that they stole from Nitroplanes and I have 3 FMS planes now. I hope that I can continue to order from BH and that they treat you well over this.

Keep me posted!

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:41 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Yeah, I've been satisfied with them - They've never been great at customer service, but they've also never sent me something so totally wrong that I couldn't make it work. I have to admit that it will be too difficult for me to convert a single 90mm F-4 Phantom into a twin 60mm F-14 Tomcat and so I'm asking for a little help!

I'm still waiting on a response as of now, but I'll let you know how it turns out!

BTW, the FMS line has always been a winner. As long as BH actually sends the right boxes to the right people, everything will be fine. The Quality Control with that company is leaps and bounds beyond LX and Starmax.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:44 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,638 Posts
Roger that on LX but a buddy of mine has had 3 Starmax P-51's, the BIG ones (he crashed 2 due to pilot error) and I really liked them except for the retracts and landing gear which are total trash.

FMS is by far my favorite and they seem to really incorporate feedback from our RC community and so I give 'em my little bit of business.

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:50 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Starmax' achilles heel has always been the retracts - They're world class terrible! But those LX and Starmax planes look so cool that they can make you overlook the trouble spots they often have.

If BH would ever get that new FMS P-38 in stock, I'd buy it - They just keep slipping the date though, and I refuse to pay $80 to have it shipped from somewhere O/S, so the wait continues!
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
Hi Roswalt, I have email you an RMA number as well as a Return Shipping Label to cover the cost of sending it back to us, please let me know if you don't receive it so I may resend it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
Starmax' achilles heel has always been the retracts - They're world class terrible! But those LX and Starmax planes look so cool that they can make you overlook the trouble spots they often have.

If BH would ever get that new FMS P-38 in stock, I'd buy it - They just keep slipping the date though, and I refuse to pay $80 to have it shipped from somewhere O/S, so the wait continues!
Banana Hobby CSR is offline Find More Posts by Banana Hobby CSR
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:03 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Copy on both emails - Everything looks good. I have the package ready to ship but I'm a little inexperienced when it comes to scheduling UPS pickups, so I'll try to take it to the UPS store tomorrow afternoon. Thank you very much for your timely assistance!
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:42 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,638 Posts
Way to go BH!

Roswalt...glad it working out for you!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, TN, White House
Joined Oct 2011
126 Posts
Looks like good customer service to me.
soopertrucker is offline Find More Posts by soopertrucker
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:43 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Well, all I've got is a shipping label right now...Worth noting that there is not an expected refund this month. The sticker says 15 business days may be required for "processing" after my package arrives at their facility, and there's certainly no guarantee the refund will even be granted in full.

I'll update when the process is actually complete, but it is a step in the right direction so far.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:04 PM
So Calif
Joined Mar 2009
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopertrucker View Post
Looks like good customer service to me.
Good customer service would be to get the right plane in the first place and not having come to a public forum where more of BH's dirty laundry gets aired. He followed the vendor's instructions and got nowhere. When you finally embarass BH, then something happens. Why can't it happen as advertised?
Propnuts is offline Find More Posts by Propnuts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
Hi Roswalt, the processing time for RMA's is up to 15 business days, but in the event that you did request a refund on the return form, after the item is inspected and its confirmed that its undamged it would be a full refund as the wrong item being shipped was no fault of yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
Well, all I've got is a shipping label right now...Worth noting that there is not an expected refund this month. The sticker says 15 business days may be required for "processing" after my package arrives at their facility, and there's certainly no guarantee the refund will even be granted in full.

I'll update when the process is actually complete, but it is a step in the right direction so far.
Banana Hobby CSR is offline Find More Posts by Banana Hobby CSR
Last edited by Banana Hobby CSR; Mar 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:59 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Thank you for the clarification - I really do appreciate your support in getting everything worked out.

I carefully packed everything exactly as I received it, and took the package to the UPS store on Saturday morning. Hopefully it will arrive later this week and we can get everything sorted out.

I have to say that I was impressed by the convenience of the UPS return label system that BH used in this instance- I only had to close everything up, include the RMA form, and then slap the label on. No extra paperwork or money changed hands at the UPS store- They just took it out of my hands and quickly gave me a receipt!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,637 Posts
This is a good story...I am looking over this sub section to see stories good and bad...I want to see some good stories...If I see enough then I may try them again.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:39 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Still no refund....And the plane I received from them yesterday caught fire this morning.