HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
63 Posts
Discussion
RC-Aircraft Wing Loading

Hi All,

How can one find the Empty Weight of an RC-aircraft? Please bear in mind this is at design stage so we ideally want to calculate the empty weight BEFORE it has been built, so how can this be done?...

This empty weight is needed to calculate the wing loading on the same design thereafter.

Eagerly waiting for replies my friends

Best regards

Charlie
charlie01 is offline Find More Posts by charlie01
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:26 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,996 Posts
You can't 'calculate' the weight of a model before it's been built, or even designed.

You can weigh all the components that will go into building the model and then add them all up, plus allow a little extra for the glue etc.

Wing loading is based on the total flying weight. That would include the batteries, fuel (if IC powered), etc.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:35 PM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
You can't 'calculate' the weight of a model before it's been built
Well, in theory you can. If you measure the density of the foam you're using you can multiply that with the calculated total surface area of all the foam parts (including internal bits like formers etc.). Then you can measure the average weight of the glue you're using per length of joint and multiply that with the calculated total length of all glue joints. Then add the weight of all the hardware.

In theory..

In practice you always seem to end up 10% to 20% heavier than you expected even if you include the 10% or 20% extra weight in your original prediction
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
63 Posts
Slebetman wow thanks for that very informative reply you never cease to amaze me! Do you have a personal email to keep in contact with you my friend, just pm me with it if you'd like
I shall calculate this using your suggestion tomorrow and will keep you updated my friend

Eflightray: thanks for the feedback it's much appreciated my friend
charlie01 is offline Find More Posts by charlie01
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,690 Posts
For the past few years I've been recording the weights of various components and now have a spreadsheet where I can predict weights with reasonable accuracy (+/- 20%). But there are so many variables in terms of materials and coverings that until you've actually built a few models with those techniques and have some real data it's hard to generalize. Calculating areas and multiplying by the weight of the materials is a good start. Then based on previous builds, I know that I have to add a percentage to account for glue and reinforcements etc.

Another possibility that requires more searching, is to find threads of models built with similar materials, size, and coverings that give a finished weight and extrapolate from that. For example, flat foamies seem to come in around 4-8oz/sqft. Full fuse maybe 6-10, Full fuse, built up wing, maybe 8 to 12, scale types covered with glass, retracts etc, 10-18.
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503