HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Doblao, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:40 PM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
Discussion
The Waterproof body

As part of my project for a microquad toy concept...IŽve started to play with vacuum forming and ABS plastic to get the features I think I would like to find in a toy microquadcopter:
Light
Crash Resistant
Waterproof (even underwater proof)

Yes...the last feature is on my own..but as I want to play with this toy in summer...IŽll have to take it to beach...pools...and lot of other places where water and moisture are a common element...so I started this design having that feature as main goal...and letting the other two adapt to this one.

Hope You like it,
Saludos,
Jose
Doblao is offline Find More Posts by Doblao
Last edited by Doblao; Mar 11, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:29 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
hmmm

Not happy with results...I mean its waterproof..but i dont c it really as resistant as I would like..so time to try another option...rubber coating...playing with colours too
Last edited by Doblao; Mar 11, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:07 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Maybe just need different material?
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:51 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
Maybe just need different material?
Keep thinking abs plastic is good cause of his features for a toy. Would like to try also lexan and similars but unfortunately this is Spain, so no sheets available that I know of...and shopping sheets overseas is killing in shipping cost...

Saludos,
Jose
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
101 Posts
how about this? now you have a few "plugs" maybe you can use them as molds for epoxy and cloth? as this size i think you could cut up old curtains,set them with epoxy then release them from the "plug" you have already made? might make things cheaper......
cybadredd is offline Find More Posts by cybadredd
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:08 PM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
hmmmm

this is how all started...with fiberglass... http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...2015.24.32.jpg but then i did not have the molds..
So now probably time to go back to epoxi...but this time with molds...have around several fiberglass clothes really thin and also the ultrathin CF clothes...so maybe should give them a try...
Saludos,
Jose
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
101 Posts
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...2010.48.47.jpg

cover this with cloth and epoxy once set keep making till plastic is knackered lol please fill in gap between motor pod and arm so the shape is constant along the arm, and i am happy to send you my ducted one for some of your epoxed cloth frames
cybadredd is offline Find More Posts by cybadredd
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)