HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:34 AM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,341 Posts
Discussion
EDF flyers at jet events ...turbine bias?

reading another post.. and was thinking.

As my home feild doesn't allow turbines.. i fly edf and nitro d/f. Because of this I didn't really want to go to a local event because of all the large turbines and the associated a 'tude that sometimes comes along.

And I DO have a waiver and a CD..

just wondering what the EDF folks think of this?
rcshirt is online now Find More Posts by rcshirt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:58 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,593 Posts
I fly at many large events and have never seen an attitude.
In fact they welcome edf's as long as they can operate in the normal pattern.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:02 AM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,341 Posts
maybe i'll start going back to them. although i have mainly been going to eletric events..
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:03 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,855 Posts
I never once had a problem flying EDFs in big turbine events. Heck I have even had guys stay up longer with their turbines so I could land when my timer went off since EDF is always hurry up and land and turbines can hang in the pattern for a bit after the timer dings.
gunradd is online now Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:39 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,235 Posts
I have to agree that I have never had an issue at a meet, in fact most guys go out of there way to say nice stuff about my EDF's.

What I don't like is all the EDF bashing that goes down on the other site.... many of those guys that bash online are the very same guys that fly at my local meets. So it does make me wonder if they are being two face.... nice to your face at meets, but do they walk back to there buds in the pitts a talk smack

Should I even care? not really

I personally have found I don't like flying at large meets.... to much traffic and I see it causes everyone problems at times. To much waiting around to fly

We have some really nice local warbird, giant scale, electric, heli and meets... there much smaller like 20 to 30 guys. I find I enjoy these meets much much more.... not so crazy and low key

That's my plans for this year... I won't mess with the monster meets, except maybe castle AFB meet
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:44 AM
5kW Club
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2007
839 Posts
We hold a Jet Rally in Tucson, AZ and the way we handle EDF’s is they must taxi out and back and fly the full pattern.

This also holds true for the turbines also.

I am a CD, turbine wavier and fly EDF’s so I can see both sides.

Clay
racer1 is offline Find More Posts by racer1
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:47 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,988 Posts
I go to Clay's event and EDF are always welcome and mix in with the turbines with no problems, same goes for the Arizona Jet Rally. Today's EDF have no problem flying with the Turbines.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:56 AM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,341 Posts
maybe it was the talk on the other site that made me ask this question to the edf guys. since i do fly at smaller events i haven't been to any large ones in a while and wondered if it was like they were implying on the other.
since i have been around the eletric guys the most lately, they all seem to enjoy anything electric and are just a great set of guys.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Why would turbine guys bash EDFs?

The events I go to love to see and hear dfs...

Thx
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:01 PM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshirt View Post
........... and the associated a 'tude that sometimes comes along..........
?
I think "rcshirts" question/point is not displayed by the turbine community as a whole.
IMO what you typically have are a few knuckleheads with evident self esteem (or short *****) problems that have to talk down anyone that has not been initiated/invited into their own little sandbox to play.
You know the kind; rude, intolerant, aloof to EDF as well as just "joe average" turbine guys alike.
Trouble is, those guys tend to set the tone of some events and thus give the turbine community a black eye and drive down participation by very capable EDF guys.
You certainly see more of that over on RCU.
Just saying..........
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:09 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,469 Posts
We have every year our zone event in a small airport near Ottawa . I'm flying there for 3 years and the first time I show up with my Electra the turbine guy watch me with big :
Next event they say hello to me and now they like me and come to see what inside my fuselage to watch the big vacuum cleaner....
But I have to admit a much prefer the sound and the power of turbine
bidule is offline Find More Posts by bidule
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:46 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Why would turbine guys bash EDFs?

The events I go to love to see and hear dfs...

Thx
I don't think they bash EDFs. More like understimation through ignorance. Most of their understanding/knowledge about EDFs and electrics(Lipos, motors, fans) in general is probably from more than 3 years ago.

I don't get any negative comments but I do get dicouraging comments for my large electric warbirds from the glow/gas guys.

As far as EDFs go, ever since they heard the sound of the new CS multiblade fans they only utter words of amazement....
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:50 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidule View Post
But I have to admit a much prefer the sound and the power of turbine
Ever hear of Stumax or the new multiblade fans?
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:07 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,341 Posts
i might throw in all those foamy edfs as well. as those are more and more outhere. i have one large flyfly f-100 that is a great flyer, and the others are built up/glass airframes.

I guess really, I found it off putting that they were bashing foamies and edfs , when at electric events it seemed like all were welcome.
I guess what i was see's in the posts from the turbine flyers were the most vocal complainers, as usual , not the majority of the common RCer's
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Apr 2005
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
I have to agree that I have never had an issue at a meet, in fact most guys go out of there way to say nice stuff about my EDF's.

What I don't like is all the EDF bashing that goes down on the other site.... many of those guys that bash online are the very same guys that fly at my local meets. So it does make me wonder if they are being two face.... nice to your face at meets, but do they walk back to there buds in the pitts a talk smack

Should I even care? not really

I personally have found I don't like flying at large meets.... to much traffic and I see it causes everyone problems at times. To much waiting around to fly

We have some really nice local warbird, giant scale, electric, heli and meets... there much smaller like 20 to 30 guys. I find I enjoy these meets much much more.... not so crazy and low key

That's my plans for this year... I won't mess with the monster meets, except maybe castle AFB meet
Ron,

What you say about the other site is funny, because most of the ones that dismiss EDF don't even fly turbines. They have them, they carry them around, but fiddle with them forever to avoid flying them...

I personally have not had anything but good experiences from flying my EDF's at jet meets. I do however, respect the pattern, fly at the right speed etc etc. I have flown EDF's at California Jets, best in the west and last weekend at Fl jets. So probably the biggest events around

One last thing: After seeing people fly, and reading comments about edf, i have come to the following realization: EDF's are fun for good pilots. If you are not a good pilot and all you do is fly circles, then you need a turbine just to hear it and add some coolness to your flight. But if you are a good pilot, the new (different) flying envelope of the EDF (immediate acceleration, able to do power off maneuvres, overpower like the electra) adds a new dimension to the flight.

So, next time a turbine guy gives you sh***t about your edf, don't take it personally and just understand that the problem is that they can't fly very well, so you should actually feel a little sorry for them

Later
jack
Jack G Diaz is offline Find More Posts by Jack G Diaz