Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Question
Quadcopter or helicopter for newbie?

Hi

I'm very very new to this rc hobby and haven't flown any rotor wing aircraft before. I've heard that quadcopters are quite easy to fly, so would they be recommended to beginners? Should I get a heli instead?

Thanks!
mun35 is offline Find More Posts by mun35
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Jun 2005
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mun35 View Post
Hi

I'm very very new to this rc hobby and haven't flown any rotor wing aircraft before. I've heard that quadcopters are quite easy to fly, so would they be recommended to beginners? Should I get a heli instead?

Thanks!
Something like the Blade mCX2 would be easier to learn on than most quads. Most people that fly quads seem to agree that it's best to have some heli experience before flying a quad.

Allen
abinder is offline Find More Posts by abinder
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:37 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abinder View Post
Something like the Blade mCX2 would be easier to learn on than most quads. Most people that fly quads seem to agree that it's best to have some heli experience before flying a quad.

Allen
I would agree wholeheartedly with this

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:01 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
The Blade MQx is an outstanding quad that I recommend to any beginner who is serious about learning. It's the most durable heli of any kind I've ever flown. I've crashed hundreds of times and haven't broken anything. It has a huge performance range, from one handed take off and hover to, 30 mph speed, loops and rolls. It has the added advantage of being able to handle wind pretty well, something no coax can do. But for somebody with no RC experience, it may be rather quick. It will be a challenge. It may not be what you are looking for, if you want something slow and relaxing. A good coax is much easier to learn to fly. It won't teach you nearly as much, though.

I would not recommend any larger quads to a beginner. They are nowhere nearly as durable as an MQX. You are going to break something on every crash and crashes are easy.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Jun 2005
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The Blade MQx is an outstanding quad that I recommend to any beginner who is serious about learning. It's the most durable heli of any kind I've ever flown. I've crashed hundreds of times and haven't broken anything. It has a huge performance range, from one handed take off and hover to, 30 mph speed, loops and rolls. It has the added advantage of being able to handle wind pretty well, something no coax can do. But for somebody with no RC experience, it may be rather quick. It will be a challenge. It may not be what you are looking for, if you want something slow and relaxing. A good coax is much easier to learn to fly. It won't teach you nearly as much, though.

I would not recommend any larger quads to a beginner. They are nowhere nearly as durable as an MQX. You are going to break something on every crash and crashes are easy.
Very true.

Allen
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:50 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post

They intrigue me. Do you have your own or have you flown somebody else's? Do you have a problem with orientation since it looks the same in all directions? What about the simple brushed motors?
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:53 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,162 Posts
I know that this is the wrong forum, but definitely not off-topic. While you're at it, Balr14, could you also comment on, if you have the answer, what you need to do to change from the "X" configuration to the "+" configuration, as far as the radio is concerned. And if I have a non-stock radio (DSM2 compatible), can I use it to control a BNF MQx? And how would I then change from one configuration to the other???
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:26 AM
Joined Jun 2005
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I know that this is the wrong forum, but definitely not off-topic. While you're at it, Balr14, could you also comment on, if you have the answer, what you need to do to change from the "X" configuration to the "+" configuration, as far as the radio is concerned. And if I have a non-stock radio (DSM2 compatible), can I use it to control a BNF MQx? And how would I then change from one configuration to the other???
I'm not Balr14, but this should answer most/all of your questions:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/BLH7500-Manual.pdf

Allen
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:56 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
They intrigue me. Do you have your own or have you flown somebody else's? Do you have a problem with orientation since it looks the same in all directions? What about the simple brushed motors?
I have two now. Orientation can be a problem, but it's pretty easy to deal with. The stock canopy is crap. I destroyed one by accidentally hitting the throttle while removing it and the other I tore trying to take it off. McDonald frosty covers are perfect size, much more durable and free. I just paint visible markings that identify the nose from the tail. On one setup, I have a gold canopy and green LEDs on the front legs. LEDs are quite popular on these helis.

They are really fun to fly. That's all I'm flying now. I don't have a DX6i or DX7, but I'm going to have to buy one if I want to do this:
Horizon Blade MQX low flips (2 min 10 sec)

With the stock controller I need about 30 feet to do a flip.

Any Spectrum DSM2 transmitter will work. To change from X to +, just rebind moving the rudder stick full left (X) or full right (+) as you rebind. I prefer the X configuration.

The one thing a quad won't do (unless you want to pay for the electronics) is attempt to self-level. That's mostly a function of a very long vertical CoG, which a quad does not have.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 09, 2012 at 10:40 AM.