Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:10 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
Discussion
SONY DCS-HX9V, is this a good camera for recording while FPV flying

Hello,
I have my Contour GPS that does 720p at 60fps or 1080p at 30fps and want something with a better video.

Someone suggested the Sony HX9V and said that's about as close to my Nikon D5100 DSL as I can get.

I mainly want it to shoot video, and some photos so that's why I don't want a camcorder unless there's a awesome lightweight camcorder out there for a few hundred dollars.

If anyone has any input or other suggested cameras please let me know.

I have a DJI Flamewheel F550 hexacopter and I can probably lift a pound or so camera including all my other equipment.

And also would like a way to remote control the video and shutter, I don't know if the Sony works with a Blip Switch Duo.

Thanks
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,185 Posts
The Sony HX9V is an awesome camera BUT the stabilization can not be turned off so Jello can be a real problem to get rid of takes lots of time to try to get it out and in some instances you cannot get it out.
With that said the video is amazing out of the camera but it can come with a price of working for you or not working well at all. You will have to try it on your setup to know.
Being you said its on the DJI F550 that will make it a little more difficult to control and get rid of vibrations.

Michael64
Michael64 is online now Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
ok, thanks.

Maybe I should just get a cheap lightweight camcorder and if I want to take photos then just put my Casio point and shoot on it.

Any suggestions on a SD card camcorder.

This is a video with my old quad and just velcro'd the helmet camera to the bottom of the highly vibrating quad. Would a camcorders video image quality look tons better than this and worth spending a few hundred dollars on one.

http://youtu.be/s7hHJXsTRds
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:16 PM
Red Sox Territory
Joined Mar 2009
50 Posts
I just bout the dsc-hx9v... the video is INCREDIBLE... seriously it looks like a high end camcorder. I am not sure what the jello effect they are talking about but I have yet to try it on flight... too scared of crashing it and ruining it. In terms of video quality tho i don't think any point and shoot camera comes close.
mmmbcn is offline Find More Posts by mmmbcn
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,185 Posts
mmmbcn
the jello comes from the in camera stabilization in your hands it works great but flying and high frequency vibs play hell with the stabilization. To show it has standard stabilization and active stabilization, I flew both and the active really was bad. Standard can work but you have to really make sure NO vibs gets thru. If it had the third option of off it would be AMAZING for sure the video is top notch and reveals the NEX 5N I did not say as good but it is real close considering the price difference.

Michael64
Michael64 is online now Find More Posts by Michael64