SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:17 PM
USA, MS, Picayune
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
Discussion
Can a nimh esc be used for lipo?

Like the title says I have inherited a nimh 15 amp esc. I guess there is no way to use this with a lipo battery right?
Thanks in advance

Wrong Brothers RC
Picayune, MS
tonytiger20 is offline Find More Posts by tonytiger20
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:40 PM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
is the esc for a brushed or brushless motor. What matters is voltage. Not what kind of battery makes the voltage. Also the cutoff voltages are different.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:41 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,431 Posts
As long as it can handle the lipo's voltage and you time the flights so the pack doesn't get drained too low, you'll be fine. The ESC doesn't care what's driving the current.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:07 PM
USA, MS, Picayune
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammergier View Post
is the esc for a brushed or brushless motor. What matters is voltage. Not what kind of battery makes the voltage. Also the cutoff voltages are different.
It was for a brushed motor.
Thanks
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:18 PM
Extreme Flight Tech Support
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2005
821 Posts
as mentioned... assuming you can get the voltage in the same range...
the ESC doesn't care where the voltage comes from
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:05 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,746 Posts
Provided your battery is within the voltage range that the ESC is designed for, the only thing that need concern you is the ESC's low voltage cutoff: Many Nixx ESCs are designed to cut off at a fixed percentage of whatever the starting battery voltage was when you plugged it in. Other ESCs may have some kind of user selection for cell-count, in which case you'll have to select the closest equivalent voltage. For LiPos, the percentage the ESC's lvc uses will generally result in them going down significantly below the level that's generally regarded as being advisable, before lvc kicks in.

The solution, as others have mentioned, is to time your flights so that you land before the ESC's lvc kicks in. You need to find, by trial-and-error, a duration that uses 80% or less of your battery's capacity.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:08 AM
USA, MS, Picayune
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
It is a Tactix TSC600 ESC. 6-7 NIMH. 15 amp. It was running a 7 cell 8.4 volt 2/3 amp 1100 Mah battery. Was hooked to a 370 brushed motor.

Thanks
Last edited by tonytiger20; Mar 07, 2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:31 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,746 Posts
That should be okay with a 2S LiPo, so long as you time your flights instead of waiting for lvc to stop the motor. The power may be down slightly, compared with 7-cell NiMh (slightly lower voltage fresh off the charger), but that should be compensated for by the reduced weight. You'll also probably have to move the battery, to get the model's c of g in the same place as it was with the NiMh pack.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:13 AM
USA, MS, Picayune
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
The old plane was scrapped for parts. I build a few scratchbuilts out of $tree foam and was looking for a use for it. I will hook it up and run some bench tests. Yes I do time my flights with my DX6i.
Thanks for all the info.