HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
15 Posts
Idea
Strengthening nose and wing of um t-28 Trojan

Hey everyone! I noticed there was not very many posts on how to reinforce or repair the nose of the Ultra Micro t-28 Trojan. Therefor I thought I would post what I did in hope that it may help someone out. I also stiffened the wing in hope that it would respond better and not break as easy.

Here are some photos from before and after.

Please post any other ways you have fixed your um t-28 trojan

I believe with FibaTape and CA glue you could glue any part of the plane back together no matter what the damage is. (you can find FibaTape at hardware stores. it is used with Drywall.)
djsoccerstar5 is offline Find More Posts by djsoccerstar5
Last edited by djsoccerstar5; Mar 17, 2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: new photos
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Mar 2012
15 Posts
addition

I still haven't flown it yet because we have winds of 25 mph right now.

I recommend using red and black sharpies to touch up and missing paint(look at mine to see if you can tell the difference) also when you re-tape the top and bottom leave one layer of tape on and just cut it down the split, that way when you tape over it you are not peeling up paint every time. Also if you fold the Sticky ends of tape in on themselves it gives you a nice easy tab so that you can peel it off.

If you have any other ideas or solutions you would like to share go ahead and post them.
Last edited by djsoccerstar5; Mar 17, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
15 Posts
Recently I have had a issue with my linear servo on my ar6410 It was sticking and unresponsive in the middle of flight. The next day it didn't work at all. to fix it i took the advice of

http://rcmodman.blogspot.com/2011/08...ro-servos.html

He recomended using a air duster for computers or an air compressor to blow away any blockage. For me this worked and saved me replacing my receiver. I found the best way to do it is to hold the Um t 28 upside down so that the blockage will fall out through the little slit.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:12 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
641 Posts
All my foamies get tape reinforcement before flight.

My PZUM T-28 got packing tape around the nose, shiny scotch tape on the leading edge of the wing, vert stab, horiz stab and shiny scotch tape reinforcement of the control surfaces.

I learned this the hard way.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Mar 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post
All my foamies get tape reinforcement before flight.

My PZUM T-28 got packing tape around the nose, shiny scotch tape on the leading edge of the wing, vert stab, horiz stab and shiny scotch tape reinforcement of the control surfaces.

I learned this the hard way.
How well does it hold together After a crash? Will the nose still dent inward? I agree I wish I would have reinforced it before hand. But at least I know how to put it back together now.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsoccerstar5 View Post
Recently I have had a issue with my linear servo on my ar6410 It was sticking and unresponsive in the middle of flight. The next day it didn't work at all. to fix it i took the advice of

http://rcmodman.blogspot.com/2011/08...ro-servos.html

He recomended using a air duster for computers or an air compressor to blow away any blockage. For me this worked and saved me replacing my receiver. I found the best way to do it is to hold the Um t 28 upside down so that the blockage will fall out through the little slit.

Hope this helps
Unfortunately when I tested my plane the next day the plane was back to its original problem and was even worse than before. If anyone else is having this problem and the Blowing it out does not fix it, I would suggest to replace the servo itself. The part number is EFLH1066 it is made by Blade and is a Short throw servo. I replaced mine with one I bought at my local hobby store for $12.

For everyone out there that does not know how to replace one of the servos on an ar6410 it is not very difficult. The servo is connected by 4 screws. unfortunately those screws are on the bottom of the board so you will have to cut it out to replace the servo. I found the easiest way to connect the power wires was to cut the existing wire and solder the new to the old instead of having to solder the wire to the board, which could possibly cause potential damage. If anyone has questions on how to Replace the existing servo just post or leave me a message.

Davis
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:00 AM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
641 Posts
Quote:
How well does it hold together After a crash? Will the nose still dent inward? I agree I wish I would have reinforced it before hand. But at least I know how to put it back together now.
I have nosed it in a few times with no visible damage, except to replace the prop & spinner that got chewed up. I bet if you smashed it in hard enough you could get it to bust, but I think the packing tape is a great reinforcement.The wing leading edges & tips (taped those too) look good.

The only real foam break I had when flying in 15mph winds, a gust yanked it up like the Hand of the Almighty and it went zooming off into a leaf-less tree. The wing leading edge smacked into the big branch head-on, but no damage to the LE. However, the wing cracked from the trailing edge of the wing nearly halfway through the wing. A little foam safe CA, kicker, and good as new.

FTR, here is my foamie UM treatment, shamelessly plagiarized from fellow RCGers:
1. Clear packing tape around the nose.
2. Shiny scotch tape on LE of wing, horiz & vert stabs.
3. Shiny scotch tape along control surface joints.

For larger foamies:
1. Clear packing tape around nose and along LE of wing, horiz & vert stabs.
2. Shiny scotch tape along control surface joints.

Belly lander foamies also get scotch/3M EXTREME tape along bottom.

That simple use of tape makes my foamies last a lot longer and less likely to break.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old May 18, 2012, 02:05 AM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately when I tested my plane the next day the plane was back to its original problem and was even worse than before. If anyone else is having this problem and the Blowing it out does not fix it, I would suggest to replace the servo itself. The part number is EFLH1066 it is made by Blade and is a Short throw servo. I replaced mine with one I bought at my local hobby store for $12.

For everyone out there that does not know how to replace one of the servos on an ar6410 it is not very difficult. The servo is connected by 4 screws. unfortunately those screws are on the bottom of the board so you will have to cut it out to replace the servo. I found the easiest way to connect the power wires was to cut the existing wire and solder the new to the old instead of having to solder the wire to the board, which could possibly cause potential damage. If anyone has questions on how to Replace the existing servo just post or leave me a message.

Davis
There is a similar setup on the Blade mSR. I had a a twitchy servo. I removed the four screws for the servo and cleaned the metal strip behind the servo on the main board. This strip is what gives feedback to what position the servo is in. any debris build up or moisture can intensify the negative problem. Hope I shed some light.
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old May 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
114 Posts
Another ultra-lightweight alternative to fiberglass tape that you can use with CA is a used fabric softener sheet that gets thrown in the clothes dryer. It's very thin and very light, but when used with CA on a surface, it's very strong. It's a great idea, but not mine. Got it from the RCG micro-heli forum, and it works great!
+1 on reinforcing the planes before taking them out for maiden.
marklind is offline Find More Posts by marklind
Old May 18, 2012, 09:32 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklind View Post
Another ultra-lightweight alternative to fiberglass tape that you can use with CA is a used fabric softener sheet that gets thrown in the clothes dryer. It's very thin and very light, but when used with CA on a surface, it's very strong. It's a great idea, but not mine. Got it from the RCG micro-heli forum, and it works great!
+1 on reinforcing the planes before taking them out for maiden.
Nice! Was it used in plastic canopies!?
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old May 18, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Dec 2010
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
Nice! Was it used in plastic canopies!?
Yes. Used it to repair small cracked plastic canopies. It worked great.
marklind is offline Find More Posts by marklind
Old May 18, 2012, 10:54 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
I have the habit of going over the nose surfaces of my foam planes with a light coat of epoxy......I suppose epoxy can get heavy if overdone....
sweeteye is offline Find More Posts by sweeteye
Old May 19, 2012, 11:05 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,567 Posts
a little nose reinforcement i do to my micros...1.5mm carbon rod along the frame
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old May 19, 2012, 11:10 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,567 Posts
and wing reinforcements.....1.5mm carbon rod
i only use this on my brushless conversions...due to wing flex from the bl power
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC