HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2003, 05:32 PM
Pro Bro #1442
Detroit City, Michigan, United States
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
Question
T-Hawk, Good, or not?

I am going to be getting a RTF park Flyer. I like the EGULL and the T-Hawk, mostly for the spare parts, and that it doesn't use Fishing Line. I wanted to ask which you guys would sudjust I get. It would also be good to hear more about the T-Hawk than just what they have on their site.
W'rkncacnter is offline Find More Posts by W'rkncacnter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2003, 05:37 PM
space for sale
Joined Sep 2003
181 Posts
get a slow stick the parts on the t-hawk are not reuseble. and the training area is a great place to ask all sorts of stuff
plane stupid is offline Find More Posts by plane stupid
Old Oct 18, 2003, 09:57 PM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Slow Stick
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Old Oct 19, 2003, 12:27 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
As it comes out of the box I would not say the T-Hawk is even a good plane. It is ARF with just the tail feathers needing to be bolted on. However, with the right modifications, it is a great trainer and excellent R/E flyer. It is almost indestructible (something the Slow Stick is not) and comes with two wings - great for a beginner.

The T-Hawk was my second plane, after I a made a Tipsy into a flying ball of epoxy trying to teach myself to fly (BTW, FMS fight sim sure helps). We have consistent 5 -15 mph winds here in the summer, and it is still my plane of choice when the wind is above about 7 or 8 mph - added to that now is my Unicorn wing. On early morning calm days, I can chase the buzzards and catch thermals with the 2 meter gliders at the local soaring field.

Be aware it is not a slow backyard flyer, but rather a cross between a powered glider and a fast parkflyer. In the beginning it will take a good-sized soccer field rather than a baseball diamond as a flying venue.

If you intend to buy this plane assume that it will not be ARF but will be a project that will need lots of upgrades to fly well. Here is what I would suggest (most of this learned from experience):

1. Buy the plane bare without Rx and Tx. Buy a good FM Rx (Hitec 555 - you can use this later after you out grow this plane). Buy a decent Tx like the Hitec Neon or Flash 5X. The 5x will store planes in memory and if you stick with this you will have more planes. It is nice to have the Tx remember your trim settings for each plane. Be sure to specify the same channel for both the Tx and Rx.

2. Take out the Chinese junk ESC, throw it away and put in a good one, with at least a 10 amp rating. Again, if you buy up you can use this too in a later plane. I like the Castle Creations 25 amp unit. The weight penalty is small but it will take anything I am likely to build in the future.

3. Tape the leading and trailing edges of the wings with clear packing tape, particularly around the TE 4" or 5" from the center line. That is where the prop will strike the wing on "bad" landings. Some fiber packing tape on the under side of the wings will keep them from flexing when you get to doing loops.

After you get good and want to do loops, tape on a .125 carbon fiber tube to the under side of the wing - the longer the better. You will have to notch the body to allow the tube to pass across the fuse, but it makes the wing very stiff and it won't fold up on you.

4. Get some 8 cell packs of KAN 650 mAh NiMH batteries for it. They provide more climbing ability without too much weight. The new KAN 1050's work too, but they are heavier and you have to play around with the CG. The heavier pack is great when the wind picks up. Seven cell packs work fine too, but I like the better performance with the 8 - they do decrease the life of the motor however.

5. Cut the elevator and rudder away from the tail section and reattach using clear packing tape to make a hinge. This cuts down on the force required to move them and force eats up battery time. A small diameter carbon tube taped to the under side of the elevator helps keep the tail feathers from folding in bad landings - not required, but makes it stronger.

6. I land in a rough field and do belly landing so I threw away the landing gear. If you want to keep it to do touch and goes, put a small stick as a lock under the music wire loop that extends into the body - if you don't the whole gear/wheels will fall out.

7. Put in some soft foam in the nose to better cushion the battery pack on hard landings.

8. Always use at least 4 good quality rubber bands to hold on the wing. I had only 2 and one snapped in the wind doing a loop this AM, the wing came 1/2 way off and caused a spectacular fall from 100 ft and finally a crash. Had to epoxy a servo case back together, but it is flying again this afternoon.

9. Don't bother playing around with different props. The size they send is the best I have found with that motor.

I also have a Slow Stick. It is a great plane to fly around a smaller field. It is just not as strong when crashed.

If you don't mind doing a little building, look into the EPP foam wing called the Unicorn (check the current thread in the Foamy board). I am having a great time with mine, and there are several guys who have learned to fly with them. It is one tough plane that will go slow or fast. It does not have a "self righting" wing like the SS or T-Hawk. Also consider the Tiger Moth as a trainer. It is not that strong but flys soooooo sloooooowly that you have plenty of time to correct your mistakes. It's cheap too.

My 3 cents.

FoamCrusher.
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Oct 19, 2003, 02:57 PM
Pro Bro #1442
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
Thanks Foam Crusher, I don't have bucks for a flash 5. I think I will fly it stock for a while, then with birthday money, i'll get a flash 5 and a new ESC. But thank you very much, my brother is obsesed with me getting the SS for my first plane. Might try the SS, DS, or Tiger Moth for my second.
W'rkncacnter is offline Find More Posts by W'rkncacnter
Old Oct 19, 2003, 04:06 PM
space for sale
Joined Sep 2003
181 Posts
not so i think you need a good plane be it a slow stick or any other plane but you do get what you pay for.
plane stupid is offline Find More Posts by plane stupid
Old Oct 19, 2003, 05:47 PM
T-Hawk Superstar
Joined Apr 2003
199 Posts
The T-Hawk

As the one and only plane I've trained on, I can HIGHLY reccomend the T-Hawk for a person with very few dollars to spend and wanting a virtually indestructible plane...and no, I don't work for ToyTX. I've seen the slow stick and even thought about getting one, but I thought the T-Hawk would be a little peppier in the end....I'm glad I decided to go with the T-Hawk now, it is very forgiving..the beginner can take it slow at first and build up to numerous aerobatic maneuvers with this plane...the only thing I can't get it to do is fly inverted for any amount of time or hover with it (obviously). I run it on stock esc, stock receiver (AM) and a focus III. They now have an improved version FM with proportional throttle, so no need to go and buy seperate radios, receivers, etc...the electronics aren't that bad, and I've never really felt as if I've needed to replace them...FoamCrusher definitely has some cool mods I'd like to try though. I've had mine since March of this year, and have not grown tired of it one bit. As FoamCrusher said though, make sure you have plenty of room to work with initially, it's a reasonably fast plane for beginners...I would reccommend coasting with it first on virtually windless days. No worries about actually breaking the plane itself, but you may get it stuck in a tree or something.

For those of you who are T-Hawk fans, go to http://www.readytoflyfun.com and check out their latest creation, PREDATOR...I've got mine on backorder and am waiting impatiently.

Buy a T-Hawk, you won't be dissappointed.
Badger B is offline Find More Posts by Badger B
Last edited by Badger B; Oct 19, 2003 at 05:51 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 06:41 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
The Predator looks like the logical step up after you master the TH. I would still wait until the "short kit" (without Tx & anything else you can buy it without) is available and replace that stuff with GOOD electronics. You can always move the good electronics into a new plane.

I know that some people have had good luck with the OEM stuff, but how much is crashing your plane worth? I have given up on cheap electronics - it just is not worth it. Even the GWS Rx's get hits in my area. IMHO, buy the good stuff first time out. If you decide you don't want to do RC planes anymore, you can always sell it and get back about half of what you have in it. The used junk electronics are worth zero.

One comment about the T-Hawk quality. I got mine about a year ago and a friend just got one the other day. There is been a huge increase in quality over that time. The wing really fits on the body now (I had to cut the wing down by 1/4" to fit in the saddle) the wiring is of much better quality and so are the electronics. His NiMH batteries are far better than the old NiCds I had too. The plane was a good value before, now it is even better.

I would still buy a 72 MHz FM Tx (like the HiTech Neon or Flash 5X) rather than the OEM 27 MHz, since at that frequency you share the air waves with land and water based vehicle Tx's. If you fly where you could get hit by stray signals from some kids RC car or boat, it could crash your plane.

FoamCrusher
Old Oct 19, 2003, 06:49 PM
T-Hawk Superstar
Joined Apr 2003
199 Posts
You've got excellent points FC...I have had minor hits with my AM setup, but I think these would be less noticeable with the FM setup. Eitherway, the plane itself is an extraordinary flyer, and worth the effort of modding if you chose to do so. I think I'm going to try some of the mods you described on my T-Hawk, really good ideas. Happy flying!
Badger B is offline Find More Posts by Badger B
Old Oct 19, 2003, 08:27 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by W'rkncacnter
Thanks Foam Crusher, I don't have bucks for a flash 5. I think I will fly it stock for a while, then with birthday money, i'll get a flash 5 and a new ESC. But thank you very much, my brother is obsesed with me getting the SS for my first plane. Might try the SS, DS, or Tiger Moth for my second.
The Flash 5X is not all that expensive ($110) if you buy just the Tx from www.hobbyhorse.com . If you call him on the telephone, he will put together an ESC, 555 Rx and the Tx at a good price.

The Slow Stick is an excellet plane. It will fly in a much smaller area, but if you dork it into the ground, it will break.

FoamCrusher
Old Oct 19, 2003, 09:33 PM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Here's your solution...get them all, you won't regret it, neither will your credit card company

There's no single great plane to learn on for everyone. Plunk down the card on whatever tickles your fancy...stick to the trainers of course, leave the warbirds for later and I'd start with a 3 channel rudder, elevator config...after that it's up in the air depending on your budget.

Just my $0.02.

-Dujara-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Old Oct 21, 2003, 11:14 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,607 Posts
Good point by FoamCrusher on being on 27

Everyone should be especially careful about flying any plane with a radio system in the 27 band here in the states as the majority of low end R/C cars and boats use these same "shared" frequencies in the 27 band and a kid operating his car a block away can easily shoot you down when you fly at the local park and get above the roof line (line of sight for signal). I know a guy who lost his Outlaw because of a boy with a Radio Shack boat that was on the same channel in the 27 range and neither had any idea they could affect each other.
To Plane Stupid: The servos and speed controller were plug in with normal connectors on the T-Hawk I reviewed so the radio components were all reusable...that said I would agree that when a person can afford it a upgrade to a better radio system in the 72 band (for those of you here in the U.S.) for increased range and safety from those others using the shared 27 range. A Castle Creations speed control such as the Pixie 20 is a much better controller and is also a good upgrade for someone who can afford it. But realistically I know that few buying the T-Hawk are going to be upgrading initially. When I reviewed it I thought for the price the plane, servos, batteries and charger were a good deal just by themselves. Michael Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:32 PM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Didn't they just upgrade the T-Hawk with a single-stick transmitter and a proportional speed control?
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:45 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,607 Posts
They have that as an option with an FM frequency transmitter but it is still in the 27 range.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:40 AM
Moncks Corner S. C.
Joined Jun 2003
1,387 Posts
slow stick.
$34.99 at horizon
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=GWS1040
radio with batery $104.99
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...rod=GWSRCS250B
then all you need is a charger get a cheap one for around $18
and get a few extra props.
for around $175 you can get everything with shipping.
if you total the SS it will cost you $34 for a new one or if you change planes you still have all the raidio gear and everything you need.
if you get a T hawk what can you reuse if you go with a diferent plane?
ok and think of this, if you total the t hawk and need a new plane do they sell just the plane or do you have to get a hole new rtf?
no plane is indestructable.
the Slow Stick is a good plane for back yards and other small flying areas, it flys so slow its easy to learn on. repairs are easy some glue and packing tape and your back in the air in 5 min.
its not a pusher prop so you will break props right and left while learning and bend the prop shafts.
what turned me off on the T hawk was how fast it flys
Mangyrat is offline Find More Posts by Mangyrat
Last edited by Mangyrat; Oct 28, 2003 at 11:52 AM.