Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:48 PM
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Joined Nov 2007
60 Posts
Discussion
FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 - Public Law 112-95 - HR Bill 658

I just wrote the following email to the General Aviation Manager for the Hillsboro Airport (KHIO)/Port of Portland. I'll update the thread if I hear anything back.

If you contact your local airports, please feel free to post your findings here too.

Quote:
Hi,

I wanted to write to you as I just learned of the recently passed Public Law 112-95, FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, (formerly H.R. Bill 658) and had a question about a specific section of the law.

Section 336: Special Rule for Model Aircraft states the following:

"(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport))."

Since I regularly fly my model planes/helicopters within 5 miles of the Hillsboro Airport, is there a procedure that I should take to properly notify the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower?

Hopefully something could be placed on your website describing the procedure as I'm aware of at least two major model aircraft clubs within 5 miles of the airport and many individuals that fly at local parks and neighborhoods.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions for me and I look forward to your reply, thanks!
Here's a link to the Bill Summary & Status on the Library of Congress website: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d112:HR658:

Here's a link to the direct text (PDF) of the final bill as passed and signed into law: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...12hr658enr.pdf
DarkStarPDX is offline Find More Posts by DarkStarPDX
Last edited by DarkStarPDX; Mar 06, 2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Adding links.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:28 PM
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Joined Nov 2007
60 Posts
Here is the first response from the Port of Portland that I received:

Quote:
Dear Chris,

Thank you for your patience and please accept my apology for the delay in responding to your inquiry.

Since the Hillsboro Airport airspace and tower is managed by the FAA, it would be best to contact the FAA directly with your questions. Below is a link to the FAA's website with the Hillsboro flights standards office contact information:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...o/pdx/contact/

Regarding the section pertaining to the operator of the model airplane contacting the airport operator directly, below is contact information for the Portís Hillsboro Airport management staff:

Nathan Grimes, General Aviation Operations Supervisor
503-693-1963
nathan.grimes@portofportland.com

Steve Nagy, General Aviation Manager
503-693-1366
stephen.nagy@portofportland.com

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions. Thank you.

Best regards,

David Mitchell
Executive Administrative Coordinator
Port of Portland
Here is the second response I received shortly thereafter:

Quote:
Chris,

Thank you for your email. We are all trying to learn any new requirements that came with the recent FAA reauthorization act, and this is one of those new requirements.

Hillsboro Airport (HIO) is operated by the Port of Portland, however the airspace over HIO is controlled by the FAA air traffic control tower at HIO. We, the Port of Portland, do not have authority over this airspace within the 5 mile radius of the airport.

I have copied the FAA Air Traffic Control Tower Manager at HIO, Mr. Joseph Fiala, with this response your email. Since FAA controls this airspace, I'm hopeful that he can help you with this new notification requirement. You can contact Mr. Fiala at the HIO tower at (503) 615-5470.

Sincerely,

Steve Nagy
Port of Portland
General Aviation Airports Manager
Hillsboro and Troutdale Airports
stephen.nagy@portofportland.com
I haven't heard from Mr. Fiala yet, however I hope to hear something before the nice weather starts!
DarkStarPDX is offline Find More Posts by DarkStarPDX
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:52 PM
Go Ducks
United States, OR, Milwaukie
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
Thanks for keeping us all informed on your experience. I can't wait to hear what Mr. Fiala has to say! I really hope that the FAA works with us modelers as 99.9% of us really don't affect full scale flight. I've often thought RC planes should be similar to a drivers license. Not in every aspect as I don't think you should have to have a "license" to operate a foamie or parkflyer. But the best I've been able to come up with would be based on either speed, size, or a combination of both. ie If a plane is over 50lbs or goes over 50mph, the pilot must have a certain class of license. If it's over 100lbs and goes or over 100mph, you have to get a higher class and so on. Obviously the numbers are just used here as an example, but it's a thought I always seem to come back to on this topic.

This is going in my thread subscriptions!
RexSe7en is offline Find More Posts by RexSe7en
Old Oct 11, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Oct 2013
1 Posts
I know this is a fairly old post -- Is there an update to this (particularly something from the FAA HIO Tower) ?

Also, There's a new "drone law" that has just passed in Oregon. Thank goodness the introduced bill was later amended to exclude "Hobby Aircraft" as defined by the FAA. It looks like the primary impact of this law will be the limitations of Law Enforcement and Public Bodies (other Government Entities) use of evidence acquired using "drones".
MrGabinator is offline Find More Posts by MrGabinator