Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:19 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
I was just simply curious how Gerald's fuses compared with mine in terms of mass distribution.
Assuming Gerald measured his @ approximately 75 to 80mm, how do yours compare?

Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Can't_Fly View Post

Brian P.
As I read that, Gerald had to add 7.3g to the nose to hit that point of balance. Perhaps he can verify that. I did "finger balance" a couple of the fuses that Gerald made and found the empty balance point to be similar what Adam's fuse comes out to. Adam's are around 120mm back from wing LE without a tail mount. I want to check one of my Stobi fuses to but have not done it yet.

EDIT: I see Adam has updated his layup and the CG has shifted forward about 5mm from my quote.
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Last edited by ShadowFalken; Mar 30, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:

Brian P.
I've got 3 layups now. All my raw fuse balance points have been shifted forward since I started adding more fiber to nose portion since everybody was having to add lead (everything after serial #: DLG1054). The raw fuses all balance ahead of 115 mm from the LE since this change. The Economy Plus balance point is less than 108mm from the LE.

Economy weighs 51 grams with the lead to balance at 80mm (44.5 grams raw)
Economy Plus weighs 48.5 grams at 80 mm (44.5 raw - stiffer layup, higher hoop strength than economy)
UL weighs 41.5 g at 80mm (38.5 raw - stiffest layup)
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Last edited by wyowindworks; Mar 30, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:39 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
So in comparison to yours, Gerald's is a little heavier in the boom, or lighter in the nose depending on how you look at it. When doing a side by side comparison to your economy layup, Gearlds has a stiffer boom (no jokes from the peanut gallery). I do not have, and or have seen your UL layup for a comparison. Either way I think yours and Gerald's will both build out quite well, thanks for sharing.

Brian P.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
When doing a side by side comparison to your economy layup, Gearlds has a stiffer boom (no jokes from the peanut gallery). I do not have, and or have seen your UL layup for a comparison.
I wouldn't be surprised by that. My economy boom only uses T700 UD carbon (upper-end standard modulus carbon) that is really easy to use and glass. The economy plus replaces the glass with woven carbon. This makes the boom lighter and stiffer.

Brian, did the fuse that you compared have a Serial # tag? All the serial # fuses has 30% more fiber in the boom by weight than the non-serial # fuse. Just curious for my own benefit.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Last edited by wyowindworks; Mar 30, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:14 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
I do not have it in my possession, and do not recall a number sorry.

Brian P.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:22 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDLG View Post
Not a problem, I'll keep an eye on things when it arrives.
I have a good idea this will be a keeper, you don't exactly keep low standards when it comes to DLG's or it's parts!

Thanks again Gerald.

Eric
I checked with Eric today and he received the fuselage ok. Good thing I caught him - he was about to mail back the PVC pipe I used for shipping! I appreciate the thought, but...

Folks, you get to keep the PVC pipe. That is covered in the $10 shipping cost (I suppose I should call it a shipping and handling cost). It would cost you as much or more to ship it back as it would cost me to replace it.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:01 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,419 Posts
Yeah, I think that's $2 in PVC...Eric has connections so he could probably ship it back for the same amount...
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
763 Posts
Nice to chat with you today Gerald, are you sure I paid you enough?...
Really, this is a beautiful fuse, simple and strong. As expected, Gerald's classification of a second quality or "blem" is what I normally see as firsts. Great work for #6, I hope you continue to pop them out as time/materials allow.
It's a gem!
Aurora should be quite happy mounted to this one!
The plan for it is to get Sam's Aurora wing and Brian's VeilTomTails on it.

Thanks again Gerald!

All the best,
Eric
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old May 09, 2012, 02:26 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,692 Posts
It looks like I will be starting a production batch of 6 - 10 fuselages this Friday (exact number depends on how much fabric I have). One is spoken for (an experimental layup for one of my friends), and possibly I'll pick a blem (assuming) and keep it for myself.

I have one last thing to make - a foam cover that becomes the lid for my hot box. I just need to go to the hardware store and purchase a sheet of foam and tape it up. Then I'm ready to begin.

Soon... Soon...

After this first batch I'll need to purchase more fabric as I'll be out of some of what I'm using. My stock of fabric suitable for fuselages is unfortunately quite a bit smaller than my stock for wings. So there may be a delay between the first batch and the second. I plan to get enough fabric to last a while. Actually the first batch is to help pay for the fabric order so I can make more.

Three prototypes are in people's hands. If any of them get built or get flying, I'd love more feedback! Besides, everyone likes to see pictures and read stories about DLGs!

FWIW, the boom length as delivered is roughly 2" longer than what I generally use in my personal planes and in my designs. There is no need to keep the boom full length if you don't want to.

Gerald
Old May 09, 2012, 02:30 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,419 Posts
PM's full, email sent!!!!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old May 09, 2012, 04:15 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,455 Posts
KevinSharbonda is online now Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KevinSharbonda; Jul 11, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
442 Posts
PM attempted - I'll take one too to pair up with a "forgiving foils" wing if they're not already all spoken for. Thanks!

-John
jbarnhardt is online now Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest creation...
Old May 09, 2012, 09:52 PM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
I will take 2ea. I can send check to save fees.

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old May 10, 2012, 09:45 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,692 Posts
I've received requests for 10 fuselages so far, not counting any for myself. I've made a little list, and will be contacting people as fuselages are completed. There are no commitments yet! When a fuselage is done, I'll contact you to see if you still want it. If so, then I'll send it out. You can inspect it and either return it or mail me a check.

I probably won't get enough fuselages out of the first batch to fill all the requests.

I thought I posted it somewhere but can't find it... I'm looking for roughly $175 during the first batch. I'll finalize the price when they are in hand. Seconds, if they are GOOD seconds, will be cheaper. Or I'll fly them!

Gerald