SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:32 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,744 Posts
Buddy, glad to be of service. I only found out about Fastenal when I started my (lagging) CNC project. They are a useful place to know.

Sam, to my knowledge at least, yours is the first one to fly. You build fast! 2 per month sounds fine as well. I'm hoping to sustain that many per week anyway. Definitely post some pictures of your install and your plane!

Jim, knowing the size projects you are foolish/brave/dedicated/generous enough to tackle... Give me a good lead time and an estimate on the number you will want!

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Last edited by G_T; Jul 25, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:03 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,110 Posts
Guys, and especially Gerald, thanks for all the useful info in this thread!!
Will be very useful down the road when we finally start making our own fuselages.

Thomas

-ps, OT, but hope to finally get a wing made using the forgiving foils to try soon. They need a name quickly Gerald!
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:08 AM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,513 Posts
I had imagined making Fr3aK fuselages for the the CASA Fledgling project..........
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:30 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,711 Posts
That would be cool. I love going to the flying field and seeing people flying Fr3aKs either in part or in whole. It's almost hard anymore to go to a field and NOT see those parts on airplanes.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:37 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,440 Posts
Gerald, sometimes I build quickly, other times it takes a while. I have a few models under construction and needed to get this one done before CASA!

Here are some finished pictures of the fuselage. I'll save the full model photos for the Aurora thread. My base fuselage was 45.5g. The fuselage+tails came in at 137g total. The steel wing bolts weigh 2.4g IIRC.

Installed gear is as follows:

1) Set of Fr3aK v1 tails, 12.6g weight
2) Traian stab mount, 0.8g
3) Carbon push-pull linkages
4) DS281 on elevator
5) SM-22 on rudder
6) FrSky 8ch end-pin rx caseless (only end pin receivers fit, listen up FrSky, I need a 6 ch. end pin WITHOUT telemetry!!!)
7) 350 mAh 2S Lipo (Turnigy)
8) Skip miller voltage regulator (http://www.skipmillermodels.com/prod..._regulator.htm)
9) 12.5g of lead to get my C.G to 72mm.

I had to add a little bit of splooge under the rear wing mounting hole, the better option is to cut the wing but carbon isn't the most fun to cut cleanly and I had already done my wing wrap by that point. Wing sits nicely in the forward portion of the saddle. Flight report coming soon.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:34 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
... -ps, OT, but hope to finally get a wing made using the forgiving foils to try soon. They need a name quickly Gerald!
I do need to come up with a name. There are several projects in the works around the world where people are starting to look at that wing. Right now I'm leaning towards calling the wing/foils "Synergy".

Gerald
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:28 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,744 Posts
The aluminum screws arrived today. The rear steel screw weighs 1.0g on my scale. The replacement aluminum one is 0.3g. I'll be shipping new fuselages with the aluminum one.

Gerald
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:26 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,744 Posts
I'll be making a small change to the layup, backing out something I did in the last couple of fuselages. I had reduced the Kevlar in the tailboom, probably a bit too far for my purposes. This doesn't affect stiffness to any appreciable extent, less than the variation between samples, but it does affect impact resistance. So I'm adding back the bit of Kevlar I removed. There wasn't enough encapsulation of the HM uni to prevent it from being able to start lengthwise splits under overload conditions. It was fine for flight conditions.

That caused me a bit of a delay as I'd cut up all the 1oz Kevlar I had prepared. I had to go over to Phil's and get the rest of my stash of 1oz and 110gsm Kevlar covered in wax paper so I can cut it. My wrestling with this issue deciding which route to go cost me a few days out of production.

Gerald
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:45 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,744 Posts
Well, I wasted a fuselage. I put a bevel the wrong way on some of the carbon working tired with a headache. I didn't catch it until I pulled the fuselage from the mold a little while ago. It is a shame too as otherwise it is one of my better ones. I consider this one a structural defect as it weakens the nose area and alters the bend behavior in a direction I do not want.

I'm starting to run pretty low on carbon for these. What a waste.

Gerald
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:57 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
I do need to come up with a name. There are several projects in the works around the world where people are starting to look at that wing. Right now I'm leaning towards calling the wing/foils "Synergy".

Gerald
Synergy it is! Just renamed the foils in my file
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:27 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,744 Posts
PS - The finish weight of that last one would have been 41g + screws, the lightest one yet. That is two in a row that had issues where I could not part with them.

I have carbon remaining for two more fuselages with this layup pattern. One of those might have to be mine. Then I have scraps to make a few oddball experiments. I may have to pick up some 15tpi 1K carbon to tide me over until I get a big enough order of fabric to last a while. That's what I'm running out of first.

Gerald
Last edited by G_T; Jul 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:03 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,744 Posts
Getting better... Lucky #13 checks out to finish at 41g with the hatch and screws and an untrimmed tailboom. That's better than my original target weight, so I'm pretty pleased. Hopefully the person who receives it will be pleased as well.

I've been trying to source a titanium bolt for the front screw to replace the steel one. That should drop half a gram or thereabouts. No luck yet. Fuselages are now shipping with an aluminum rear screw but I don't trust aluminum for the front as it is under higher load and aluminum fails catastrophically.

I picked up enough carbon for an additional 10 fuselages or so, provided I don't run out of something else. So this first production run will extend about a month longer.

If you have expressed interest in this thread or in a PM, I have you down on my list. I don't consider the list to be orders, just interested people who will receive an offer of a fuselage when their name comes up.

Gerald
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:24 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,440 Posts
I was "risky" and changed both bolts from steel to aluminum-I've used nylon for both bolts before, so I'm personally not worried about failure. Also, aluminum still deforms before ultimate failure (less than steel, true, and the chance of catastrophic shear after deformation is higher), so you can check the wear. No issues here after 10+ hard launches.

The 2 aluminum bolts weigh 0.8g, and both steel bolts weigh 2.4g. Also, I had nylon bolts in the tail, which is common, and weigh ~0.15g. I replaced these with aluminum as well, which weigh 0.3g. Probably not a big deal but the aluminum is still stiffer in the horizontal and they are red!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:47 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,744 Posts
The currently shipped screws weigh 1.7g.

Gerald
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:17 AM
newbee to rc
lake forest, CA
Joined Feb 2007
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post

I've been trying to source a titanium bolt for the front screw to replace the steel one. That should drop half a gram or thereabouts. No luck yet. Fuselages are now shipping with an aluminum rear screw but I don't trust aluminum for the front as it is under higher load and aluminum fails catastrophically.
Mcmaster.com has titanium screws. $5 to $8 each
flxzcat is offline Find More Posts by flxzcat