HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:11 PM
United States, MN, Medina
Joined Mar 2007
32 Posts
Discussion
trailer help

I have an old 60's pop up type trailer that I use fir my airplanes, I need to redoubt the trailer and I have a question. If I make the tongue longer, how will it effect towing and ride?

Thanks

Jon
minnreefer is offline Find More Posts by minnreefer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:33 AM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Just like a tracter trailer. It will track to the % you move it as the wheel base has moved to the rear But the load on the tow ball needs to be the same. The replacement tongue need to be as thick or more then the one your taking off. The longer your replecement the more it can bounce if the tube is to thin.
Hope it helps. ct
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Mar 2007
32 Posts
Thanks, right now it is a pretty small trailer, and I need to replace the plywood bottom that holds it together. I figure that if I need to take it apart, I may as well make it a little longer and taller to hold more planes. The longer tongue makes sense, I am not worried about tongue weight, but it is a good idea.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:22 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
In a few of the areas are trailer build in this site that can help you out with ideas but if you need more just ask. I do mods to my trailers for models just about every year.
Good luck.
trout
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Mar 2007
32 Posts
Thanks, I really like your current 19' trailer project.