HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2003, 03:28 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
T-28 Prototype in foam ( semi kit )

This thread is probably a continuation of another here on Foamies entitled "Is There A Market for This?? ..Your input please"

I started with prototype model of the T-28 today, 32 inch span, hollowed out foam fuselage, hot wired wings, fan fold horiz stab and fin..It is out intention to produce a flying model of this design, work the bugs out, and make it available to those interested as a semi-kit..

The kit will provide 2 fuselage halves hollowed out, ready for gluing together, removable cowl for ease of motor installation and removal or replacement if desired, wing halves ready to join at the centerline, empinage surfaces cut to size and ready for hinging and installation, basic instruction sheet with suggestions for finishing, painting, balancing, and flying..

The idea is to do the messy carving and shaping here as a lot of folks don't have the room, the tools, or the inclination to work with foam, but do like the assembly and flying of a scale foam model.. It is to this end we hope to be of service..

There are a lot of techniques to be worked out and a final price for the kits will come with more time and experience...

I will post photos from time to time on this thread of work as it progresses for your enjoyment...Any comments or suggestions are welcome..

Enjoy

Photo 1.. Bare bones essentials weighting 8 ounces
JerryHall is online now Find More Posts by JerryHall
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2003, 03:40 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
I meant to mentin that the 8 ounces included a GWS Gear drive motor.. The airfrane is more like 4 ounces

Photo 2...

A shot of the forward section of the fuselage interior hollwed out.. I try for about 3/8 inch skin thickness and by blowing hot air over the routed out foam, It flashes on the surface, melts all the frizzies, and forms a realitivly hard surface which increase strength by quite a bit...
Old Oct 18, 2003, 03:42 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
Photo 3...

A detail shot of the removable cowl, and the empinage..

Thats all for now folks....Back to the bench
Old Oct 18, 2003, 05:01 PM
Joined Jan 2002
485 Posts
Sign me up!! Glen Priest in Indiana
Glennie is offline Find More Posts by Glennie
Old Oct 18, 2003, 05:37 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,574 Posts
Think I will too. I've already learned something, heating the iside.
This will be a very interesting thread. Thanks Jerry.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Oct 18, 2003, 06:48 PM
ProBro 1634
Enterprise, Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
1,146 Posts
looks like it's going to be a fun flyer. What motor is planned gws300 ?

Sign me up too !!!
MGoddard is offline Find More Posts by MGoddard
Old Oct 18, 2003, 07:39 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
Thanks for the replies fellows.. I appreciate the inspiration...

I will keep track of the names of those interested and when we get a kit perfected I will get in touch with each one and see if you are still up for the game...Don't clean off the bench just yet, as it is going to take a little time to get all the bugs worked out...

I am pretty sure we will try the GWS 300 geard motor..It works so well in the P-51, so if it works, don't fix it...I will have a motor mount that will allow experimentation with different GWS motors and propeller combinations with no effort at all.....
Old Oct 18, 2003, 08:01 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,574 Posts
Don't forget ME Jerry!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Oct 18, 2003, 08:22 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
I'll be watching this thread closely, I'm bound to learn some building techniques along the way.

Good luck Jerry!

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Oct 18, 2003, 08:48 PM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
Ive got an extra eps300 from my mustang, and this would look so good next to the 'stang at the field too...

Put me on the list!
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:22 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
Another step accomplished this evening...Photos and notes to follow...
The model features a 1/32 plywood firewall and 1/32 bulkhead at the rear of the cowl that has 3 mounting tabs extending towards the center...

1... tape the cowl in place being careful to allign it where you want it to be permanently..Drill a 1/8 hole in each tab and on through the firewall..

Photo 4...
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:28 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,824 Posts
never thought about doing the cowling that way .. i velcro mine on or glue .. good idea jerry
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:33 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
Cut 3 pieces 1/2 in square from a coffee can lid, or a margarine bowl lid...This is the neoprene plastic, not metal...Use an awl or icepick and punch a hole in the center of each of the 3 pieces..
Place one of the squares on the backside of one of the cowl lugs and thread a #6 X 1/2 inch pan head screw through the hole in the tab and throught the neoprene...This will act as a keeper for the cowl mount screws and keep them from getting lost and they will be in perfect allignment when you go to mount the cowl later... Repeat fo the other 2 lugs...

Drill a 1/8 diameter hole in the center of a 1/2 inch dowl and cut 3 pieces off the dowel 3/8 inch long...Pre threadeach piece of dowel with a #6 x 1/2 pan head screw..mark the end of the dowel you ran the screw in from..and back the screw out...The mark is to let you know which end to puttheepoxy on in a later step..

Photo 6
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:38 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
Mix a bit of epoxy and coat the " X " marked end of each dowel and go inside of the fuselage to allign the hole in the dowel with the hole in the firewall....Run a #6 X 1/2 inch pan head screw through the firewall into the dowel and snug the dowel up tight..repeat with the other 2 dowels...After the glue has set.. remove the screws ..

Photo 7...
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:44 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
Place the cowl into position and run in the screws that have been secured with the coffee can lid material...There will be a gap of about 1/64 to 1/32 inch between the cowl and the firewall, but it is hardly noticable and it will allow a bit of cooling air to flow through in flight..

I imagine this may be Old Hat to you old seasoned model makers, but it may be a bit helpful to some of the guys just getting started..There are probably many other techniques for mounting cowls, and I in no way am saying this is the only way or the best...Just offering it as a suggestion...Good Luck

Photo 8...